is it okay to sell previously used XP Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedave

I have a full version OEM XP Home CD and serial #. I had it installed and activated on my computer. I just bought a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Pro which I installed. XP Home is no longer on my (or any other) computer.

Can I sell and/or giveaway the XP Home CD w/serial# and will someone be able to activate it okay? Any insight is appreciated. I would like to try and get $50 for it to offset the cost of XP Pro, but of course, I don't want the new owner to have an activation or other problem.

I asked this twice by email to Microsoft but both times got answers that had nothing to do with the question.

thanks in advance
the dave

as long as you are no longer using it, it shouldnt be a problem, but if two people try and use the same key, yer gonna have problems.

previously but no longer

I had used it previously and activated it on my computer at that time. Now, it is uninstalled. I was wondering if Microsoft has a way of knowing when the new person goes to activate it that I am no longer using it.

u could try looking for a FAQ on microsofts website, but every time you download updates it verifies the key, and the key is tied to a hardware profile when you activate it, which is why u have to reactivate if you change your internal hardware,
found this on thier site.

Can I transfer a license to another computer?

Consumers may use the terms of their license agreements to determine if transferring a license to another computer is allowed. If a transfer is permitted by the license agreement, the product has to be removed from the computer where it was first installed. Users may have to complete the activation on the new computer by phoning the Microsoft Activation Center.

No, you may not use your OEM copy of Windows XP on another computer if you have installed it on one already. The OEM copy of XP is forever tied to the original PC even if the original PC is no longer usable or is disposed of. That is one of the key differences between OEM and retail versions. A retail version may be transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back