Is my computer dead?

I have been upgrading an old Compaq Presario SR5130NX.
I'm new to the computer scene, and decided to switch the PSU to 230V, just to see what would happen. It exploded. That's what happened. I installed a new PSU, and now, whenever I turn on the PC, there is an error message saying "CPU fan has failed" and the PC shuts down automatically before I can access the set up, or bios. My case is currently open however, and I can see that the fan is working so I think the motherboard got messed up, and I'm afraid this could have also damaged my graphics card and memory.

My motherboard is a m2n68-la (ivy) and here are the product specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&product=3436820&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N96

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Can this be fixed, or should I just get a new motherboard and start from scratch?

If I'm posting this in the wrong section, please point me in the right direction.

Unplug from wall socket.
reset bios by removing bios battery for few seconds. reinsert bios battery.
check if cpu fan is still attached to cpu fan header and is still intact.
check 20+4 main power connector
check 4-pin auxiliary power connector (can be 4+4, depending on motherboard)
(check the motherboard for any burnt marks, bloated capacitors.)
plug to wall socket and turn on.

if unable to power up computer, then maybe the motherboard is dead.
if the motherboard has any burnt marks or bloated capacitors, don't use it as it maybe dead.

if you are going to build a new budget build:
processor: intel Pentium g3258
cpu cooler: coolermaster hyper 212 evo (or 212x)
motherboard: h81, b85, h97, or z97
memory: 4gb ddr3-1600 single memory module (or 2x4gb)
gpu: NVidia gtx 750, amd r9 260
storage: 1tb hdd
psu: seasonic 500w+
case

alternate build:
processor: i5-4690k
cpu cooler: coolermaster hyper212 evo (or 212x)
motherboard: asus/asrock z97
memory: 2x4gb ddr3-1600 (or 2x8gb)
gpu: NVidia gtx 760 or amd r9 270x (or higher)
storage: 256gb Samsung 840 evo ssd + 3tb Seagate hdd or 2tb wd black hdd
psu: seasonic 600W+ for single gpu usage
case

Thank you for replying, and thank you for the new build recommendations. I will definitely start looking into that.

As of right now, I have replaced the CMOS battery and set the Bios settings to default. I have checked the motherboard thoroughly and don't see any signs of burning or damage.

I read on a different forum that I should access the hardware monitor from the CMOS setup, but I can't find that on the Phoenix- AwardBios CMOS Setup Utility menu. Any ideas on that?

Back