Is my hard drive toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xRussx

Hi I did look! So appologies if this is a repeat.

When I returned to my computer,the Packard Bell emblem was on the screen.Instead of the page I left or the sceen saver.

It's a new drive! bin working fine for 3 months.

Entered Bios and it says it's not installed.

Put the old drive (4 yrs old) back in and it works,..painfully however.I don't want anything off the old drive,..and yes, need everything on my new one.

Is there any good news?.....any help greatly appreciated.

Russ

Hi Xrussx and welcome to the Techspot Forum :wave:

Is my harddrive toast??

Sounds like you can spread butter on it and eat it.

If the BIOS doesnt see it then its gone, you could try slaving it upto the old one, sometimes Windows will see drives that the BIOS doesnt.

If its under warranty dig out the receipt, but first download the manufactuers test tool and see what that says.

Regards

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Regards

Thankyou Ididmyc600,

I put the new HDD on slave and it showed up in my BIOS...phew!
Then booted on the old HDD went to the new HDD properties did a disk check(not sure if that helped)

Restarted and booted with slave, and it works....Thanks again.

Two more questions:
What might of caused this? And what should I do now? For eg. should I copy the new drives content on to the old,chuck the new and get another new?

Thanks
Russ

Hi

glad to see that you got it working, I dont kow how it happens but I would consider getting the info off and running a good disk checking program on it, if it fails on the test then take it back if its under warranty, if not I would consider using it as a slave drive for now, it might have been a good old fashioned glitch and it could be ok from now on.

Regards

while not unheard of, it is possible for new drives to fail. Most HD manufactuers warrant for around 5 years. I hope you have your receipt.
Some will argue failures are most likely to occur when brand new or very old. Studies are non-conclusive though.

Just a final word,
2 weeks later the drive did die, ran the manufactures "seatools" and it failed on all tests.Guess I was lucky enough to get it back once to backup...........Thanks to the guys at TechSpot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back