Is my mobo gone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is my mobo gone ? added beep count, please help !

Hello and good day

My computer is a pentium 4 1.7 with 512 megs of ram running windows xp with all service packs installed.

I unplugged everything and was working on another computer that I had to install software on (unplugged power, monitor, keyboard, mouse and cable modem cable and swapped over to other pc).

I then worked on the other pc to install a bunch of software.

I then swapped all of the stuff back to the first computer (which was working fine) and then when I turn it on now

BEEP BEEP BEEP (sounds like when a keyboard is unplugged sort of).

And the monitor looks like it is turned off or on standby and there is no text.

Tried it a bunch of times and it is the same.

If anyone can point me in a direction to check out I would appreciate it. Power must be getting to the mobo or it would not beep ?

Thanks.

I have not seen this happen before, hard drive crashes and such I have seen but not this.

If you need more info let me know and I will open it up and find out what it has.

Make sure the mouse and keyboard are in the correct ports. I once literally swapped RAM around unplugged everything several times and was considering switching out power supplies all because the computer wouldn't boot because the keyboard and mouse were swapped.
Sometimes the easy answers go unnoticed.

Cables were plugged in ok

Before this happens I can hear the hardrive spin and the fan never stops working while the power is on.

The motherboard is an ECS P4s5a and it is an Award Bios but i do not see this beep count on the list.
Is this a faulty mobo?, vid card ? or maybe floppy drive ?
:eek:

Thanks for reading !

beep count

I have a bit more info.
The actual beep count is
2 very quick beeps
8 not so quick beeps
a pause and then two more beeps

The 3 1/2 floppy light comes on when I power up and never turns off and everything is frozen in place.

Thanks !

I have it fixed now

I apologize for not reading the boards a little more and sooner. I found the post with the number of beeps on it and figured the only one with 8 must be right.
8 beeps equals a video card problem.
So I unplugged it and cleaned it up with some air. Looked ok so I thought i would try a new card slot and eureka.
I will review the boards and see if i can figure out how to make a computer with my new mobo.
Thanks very much to all of you that created this forum. It worked !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back