Is this system good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always a personnal choice, but I personnally don't like HP.
Their systems always replace lots of Windows files with their own.
ie there's no Windows Help, it's HP help !

There are good support builders here, that could advise you on building your own, at significantly lower cost

But each to their own.

sorry i took long!! I understand Kimsland. no offence but HP is far better than Toshiba, for example!! And what's wrong with hp hlp? it's the same thing except it's got a different look. i ain't bothered about the hp hlp any way. All i want to know is the system configuration good or not. thnx for your reply anyway buddy!:grinthumb

Well it comes with Norton Interenet Security (trial)
First thing to do is to remove that (so you must spend some time in its removal)

It doesn't come with a Windows disc (Recovery partition taking up your HardDrive space - yes; and a CD to create another recovery partition -yes)

Hardware (your question) yes good; but don't try to update the hardware one day, because then the system won't be the same, as per the HP support drivers page.
Also, HP recommends to buy their hardware (at a higher cost of course)

The Motherboard is obviously theirs, so any onboard faults (ie USB and all the rest) you will need to purchase a motherboard through them (outside the warranty period) Don't change it to differnt type ofcourse!

Don't use Windows updates use HP updates first!

Oh and remove the thousands of other HP startups, and updates (happening in the background - that don't come with other computers).

At last you can use it !

agreed. This may sound bad, but my Toshiba satellite 4090XDVD laptop thats like 9 years old is working great. It has a 300 mhz processor and a gig of RAM :p.

I, personally, like Compaq computers, but having only a 4 year old model its hard to say

Yes, but its a reflection on the maker. Both HP and Toshiba are excellent. My hp i bought with an extended warranty got repair 3 times due to user error. Replaced with better parts etc.

Hey i think anyone in good senses should get in touch with a friend who knows about computers and get one assembled.. No offence to people who buy branded desktops but in India atleast the scene is bad.. no windows disk.. only recovery disks.. and do ypu know that on HP desktop especially the entire range of available HP printer drivers and tools are installed?
People who have a choice, build a PC.. and you will agree that you can get the same config and quality at a lesser price.

Thanks BloodHound, I think that's my point too.
It just so happens that TechSpot can offer this help (if a friend is not available)
But I believe kiyhkuj has his mind set on HP, so be it. HP offer excellent support (if required) but certainly the computer is priced for this too.

Of the millions of HP owners (or would be owners) no offence either. They are usually quite well made and stable. But are generally marketed for the non technical users. Just wanting a computer that works at a good price.

I did notice that when Xp was in full swing 99% of HP was still 256Meg Ram, I'm glad to see that for Vista they have now recognized the Ram issue and adjusted accordingly.

I do not normally see highly technical users with a HP, usually it is the standard Windows user, asking for help. Seeming HP offer hardware warranty not software (like all others) I firstly must try to remove all the HP startups, to get to the issue of any software fault. Usually including removing the Norton product, that has not even been opened and ran yet!

Actually regarding personnal choice, I prefer Dell (if I went by manufacture) because they were the first to introduce Linux availability. And I prefer their web support (all manuals online in html format, plus pdf) but not actually for the hardware itself, just the support.

HP laptops (or any HP computer) runs a lot better if as soon as you take it out of the box, start uninstalling garbage programs. Like kimsland said above, Norton should be the first one to go. There are freebies out there (Avast is my personal favorite - over two years on three computers in my home, and haven't been hit once) that aren't just trial programs. Also, my favorite free firewall is Comodo because it works. The new version can be a pain until it learns your programs, but that's a good thing.

build it yourself; it's cheaper and you will learn valuable knowledge about computers and how they work...if you have trouble building one yourself, we are always here to help

1) HP usually rips you off.
2) My experience has been that with HP, you run into a lot of problems like CD drives breaking, cases cracking, etc.
3) It's an AMD!!! EEEEEWWWW!!!!!
I would never put an AMD in a desktop these days... I mean I'd take one if someone gave it to me, but Intel these days seems to run so much nicer... Especially their Core 2 Duo line right now is reasonably priced, and a VERY good value.

And I've had a lot of problems with Phenom boards and Nvidia cards, and I like Nvidia cards better than ATI... SO... I would not buy an AMD system right now...

pyromaster114...he is not needing an Intel/NVIDIA fanboy telling him things about how AMD isn't as good as Intel, blah blah blah....give him some facts about the phenoms/core 2 duos...or send him a link to some benchmarks, just saying....

kiyhkuj here's a link showing some facts on phenoms and Core 2 Duos...https://www.techspot.com/review/84-amd-phenom-family-performance/
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=711
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/668/1/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/657/1/
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html -here you choose which processors you want to head up against each other and pick which test you want to see
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6986.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080226195706AAXH5oo

kiyhkuj, fill in your location in your Profile. Also, if you are going to build your own PC, how much would you be looking to spend? If you're not, then how much would your budget be?
FYI, there's no OEM computer out there that is 'of exceptional quality', since all of them come with pre-installed junk like Norton and more often than not, they don't give you an option to install any other OS besides Vista. Also, the OS is an OEM copy, which sucks IMO.

hey guys i was just looking on the hp website and came across this pc; it's much better than the other one for just £30 more! and it contains a INTEL quad core processor i bet you all happy now. well guess what; same me!!

kimsland, if laptop has preinstalled OS, but has no recovery DVD - there's a hidden partition which contains full recovery image, and you can copy it to DVD using special software provided by HP.

This is a much better choice. Replace the PSU with the 600W Enermax, replace the video card with an 8800GT, replace the CPU with the X4 9500+ and don't buy the monitor (since you haven't mentioned needing one). Throw in Windows XP Professional with SP2 and you'd have a PC within your budget that rips through games and delivers superb performance on apps as well. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

i don't really want to spend more money buying more equipment just to tweak it a little bit more. i'm happy with the original system config. Do you really think that an AMD processor can really do good on a PC? it might do good on a laptop but NOT on a pc TRUST ME!!!!

It's a quad-core AMD that's available for a pretty good price IMO. You don't need to overclock it to get more performance out of it. As far as price vs performance goes, AMD is pretty good in the lower end bracket if you're not into OCing. Also, whatever gave you the idea that AMD desktop CPUs are not good? AMD was the undisputed CPU king for a long time with its Athlon 64 line that trounced Intel's Pentium 4 and Pentium D by a wide margin. It's only now that Intel's been able to turn it around in their favor. As a previous AMD user, I can tell you that AMD does not produce crap chips. It's just that their chips don't represent as good bang-for-buck as Intel's chips at the moment.
If you were thinking I was telling you to buy the components later, no, I was just telling you what to choose in the customization options available for that particular PC. They'd give you the best performance and leave you with more upgrade options for the future. In the end, it's entirely upto you. Make your choice and let us know how it goes. :)

rage, i'm not totally against AMD chips because i chose to have an amd chip fitted on my laptop as well so i'm NOT a rival to amd. It's just that the phenom 9500 performs less on games and apps compared to the core 2 quad q6600 according to sites that test these processors. Also, some people are complaining that the AMD quad core has a bug called "erratum". sorry dude if i hurt your feelings in any way. You can LOOK here for more info on what the **** i'm talking about. you can also look HERE. Also see here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080226195706AAXH5oo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back