Issues installing Radeon 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknight06

Sigh, so here we go.

I recently purchased a Radeon 4850 to replace an older 3000 model that I have currently. I received it last night, but have managed to make a mess of things. Instead of going to drivers and disabling the drivers for the 3000 model, I actually went to Add/Remove Programs and removed the catalyst drivers. After restarting the machine, nothing but a black screen is received even though I can hear that Windows starts fine.

I decided to go ahead and put the new card in at this point. After installing it and plugging it up to the Power Supply, when I go to turn it on, the fans spin for a half a second and then the computer does not boot up. Removed the video card out of the slot, but still plugged to the power supply and the machine boots up. Placed the old card back in, and it starts up, but again with black screen. Attempted to plug the monitor into the onboard video adapter and I just get a few BIOS beeps and then the PC turns itself back off.

At this point I have no idea what to do to get this new video card installed or even to get the old one working so I can try to do anything. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Yea the forum moves kinda slow, gotta be patient... ;)

Anyways, it sounds like the computer is getting confused at boot time because of the recent swap in graphics adapters. To get the system to boot back into Windows normally with the onboard graphics, make sure to set BIOS to use the integrated adapter and see if that works. Once you are back in Windows, you can uninstall and wipe the existing drivers and then disable the integrated adapter in Device Manager. You should now be able to shut down the system and install the 4850.

Yea the forum moves kinda slow, gotta be patient... ;)

Anyways, it sounds like the computer is getting confused at boot time because of the recent swap in graphics adapters. To get the system to boot back into Windows normally with the onboard graphics, make sure to set BIOS to use the integrated adapter and see if that works. Once you are back in Windows, you can uninstall and wipe the existing drivers and then disable the integrated adapter in Device Manager. You should now be able to shut down the system and install the 4850.

Sorry, I'm sure this is a noob question, but under which portion should I find the driver for the intergrated adapter?

Should be under "Display Adapters" in Device Manager. You will have the option to uninstall the driver there but I would recommend uninstalling it from the Add/Remove programs window instead. If you can't find the driver listed anywhere, then it's likely you've already uninstalled it successfully.

If it is windows XP you are using, you could try and boot into VGA mode.

(Press F8 at startup, just before the black screen with the windows logo, and you should get a menu that lets you boot into VGA mode)

If it is windows XP you are using, you could try and boot into VGA mode.

(Press F8 at startup, just before the black screen with the windows logo, and you should get a menu that lets you boot into VGA mode)

What would logging into VGA mode do for me? Also, I have already successfully uninstalled the drivers. Now the monitor will only work with the old Radeon 3850. The onboard video doesn't work. Still won't turn on with the new vid card in the slot.

edit: I tried the F8 tip, did nothing different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back