Issues with 780Ti, Broken? :(

Obzoleet

Hey guys,

Im using a 780ti HoF thats just over 2 years old ( No warranty -.- ) and it has now starting giving some graphical issues (Low resolution on startup and some graphical errors on the screen like purple and green squares everywhere) and the PC just freezes up.

I went into device manager and disabled the 780 Ti and used HD graphics 4600 and it works fine.

I removed the 780 ti from my PC and connected new cables and then connected the card again. When I start it up it works fine for 30 seconds to 1 minute and then the PC just freeze up and I get the graphical errors again.

I have not clocked it or changed any settings. Unfortunately I do not have a different motherboard to test with so I´m not sure if its with the socket or the GPU..

Do I just throw it in the trashbin or do you have any advice?

Considering I dont have any warranty and its not working I am open for weird crazy advice like putting it in the freezer or holding it upside down for 30 minutes shaking it like shakira and so on.

(This is kinda good since the 1080 is just on the doorstep but its also kinda bad since I cant really afford it and will have to get indebted to buy it but its still kinda good since atleast ill have a good GPU )

This makes me sad :(

Have you checked the GPU's operating temps? Have you recently did a clean installation of device drivers for your 780ti? These are things you want to check before you ultimately scrap a GPU. If you have done neither of those things, I'd do them and check back with us. If you find your GPU is overheating (95C or higher), clean it with some compressed air and open up some airflow in your case. Do the clean driver install either way. I'd also take a look at your task manager when booting up and waiting for the GPU to start acting up. Check to see if you see any peculiar programs using a lot of resources they shouldn't - especially GPU intensive programs.

I did remove old drivers using DDU and then got the latest one from nvidia, also used some canned air to blow out the fans and socket, did the same for my rams.

Temps are 35-40 before freeze occurs :/

Also checked transistors but they all look normal ..

Hmmmm. It may be that it is indeed time for a replacement then. The fact that your machine operates as intended when it's disabled all but confirms this. It sucks that your card started acting up just after 2 years, but it does happen. I'd recommend checking power / rails on your PSU and trying in a different PCIe slot if you have one available. Maybe trying on a clean windows install, but I wouldn't expect much to come of it. So, it's up to you if you want to waste any more time troubleshooting. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions on what you can do next. When / if you pick up another card, pay attention to the warranty, and hopefully get one with decent coverage.

I only have 1 PCIe slot but I think I will just buy a mid tower + new motherboard + 1080. (Running smallfactor atm)

If the 780 ti works in the new motherboard ill just return the 1080 and feel lucky , if not ill just feel poor (But happy). Thanks for the help Blkfx1 :)

The green and purple squares says it all really.

I recall a few years back my Dell started doing something similar in respect to the colored squares. I replaced it with a similar model and problem was fixed.

The fact you also tried it with the on-board graphics also is starting to point to the GPU failure.

I take it you don't have another desktop you could throw it in and see what happens? Maybe a friends desktop. That would without a doubt confirm your suspicions.

(This is kinda good since the 1080 is just on the doorstep but its also kinda bad since I cant really afford it and will have to get indebted to buy it but its still kinda good since atleast ill have a good GPU )

You don't have to go for an ultra-high end model that just a tiny fraction of people have. Games do run well on the hardware that most people buy. A mainstream RX 480 or GTX 1060 will offer you the same performance you have now.

You don't have to go for an ultra-high end model that just a tiny fraction of people have. Games do run well on the hardware that most people buy. A mainstream RX 480 or GTX 1060 will offer you the same performance you have now.

I agree, but if you are not intending to game on any higher than 1080p for now and especially your situation pushing you into debt [bad investment] you'd probably be better served with going for a "used" GTX 780 / 780 Ti / 970 which would virtually play all current games maxed out on 1080p.

But there is no doubt those 1080's are sure tempting.

Back