I've made it! yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

OK, so here I am acctually typing this out from within Linux, while The XP box across the room is using the same internet connection! :) I think I quite like having a router! (at last! lol)

Anyway....

I'm using the default session of Fedora Core 4 at the moment, and have one question...

How do I go about changing the monitor refresh rate and resolution to something less headachey? I'm at 800x600 right now, and It's not letting me set it any higher.

I'm also finding that My router drops the connection to this pc when I log in as a normal user, and so I can only use the internet from root. That can't be good!

Spike said:
How do I go about changing the monitor refresh rate and resolution to something less headachey? I'm at 800x600 right now, and It's not letting me set it any higher.

Welcome to hell

I've been using UNIX for a number of years. I still have to use xf86config to chance screen modes (its a command line app and requires you to have a lot of knowledge of your hardware). I'm sure theres probably a GUI app that does it, somewhere.. it'll be different in every damn DE though.

And make sure you have some recent nVidia linux drivers if you're running that on your MX card. That always helps.

Fedora Core has a GUI to change resolutions but it will only allow you to switch between the resolutions that are entered in xorg.conf, not only do you have to have the right driver (not really have to, but highly suggested as 2d and 3d hardware acceleration is usually not supported without the drivers), you also need to enter in the right monitor information or if fedora has your monitor listed use that.

NVidia is pretty easy to install now, they have a .run script that does most of the work

ATI don't know much but I think it's relatively easy also

VIA CLE266 ack this one invovles some pretty intensive work to get it going

As far as the user not being able to use internet, try pulling up terminal and pinging your windows PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back