Jerky video

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

Hi,

Compared to my old P2 450, my current PC (in profile) plays video a lot more jerkedly than the former. Switching media players doesn't help. Why does this happen?

Thx

Specifically what type of video? Is it just one video file, all of a certain type, or all video types and any file? Did you rip these videos from like a DVD or VCD? Where'd you get them? Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

[size=1]I'm just kidding on that last one :p[/size]

How about overall graphics performance?
What drivers?

Could also be that overlay video isn't working.

I've tried MPEGs or Real Media videos so far. They are very shaky. DVDs playing seem to be fine though.

Nodsu: Graphics performance is what you'd expect from my card. Using 30.82 drivers, different ones don't make a difference.

Note to Vehementi: I did reinstall Windows a few times, but due to unrelated cirumstances. ;)

Not memory - Almost definitely - And I say almost because you never know. ;)

Normally I would say reinstall your video codec that is affected, but it seems to affect multiple codecs - Meaning it is probably a more generic, system-wide problem.

My best guess would be you are having a problem with DirectX - Possibly DirectX 9? Windows XP comes with DirectX 8.1 by default, but if you have upgraded to 9.0, this could be another bug. Problems with DirectDraw acceleration can make an identical problem from what you've mentioned.

Even if you do not have 9.0, it could still be a problem with DirectX... DirectDraw more specifically. Check your DirectX acceleration settings in Start/Run/dxdiag.exe. Click on the "Display" tab and look for anyting suspicious, like errors at the bottom or anything disabled.

You may want to try disabling DirectDraw and restarting. Then enable it and restart again... DirectX has been known to be stubborn. ;)

You can always reinstall DirectX using a 3rd party program. Search on google for one - Just make sure it is for Windows XP and the specific version you have - Otherwise you might have problems.

Hmm, interesting. I had the same problems with 8.1 as with 9.0. I tried the DirectDraw tests, how fast are the objects supposed to move? Just wondering, the box that spins spun so fast it was pretty much a blur to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back