July 2023 was the Earth's hottest month on record as more regions feel the effects of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? The European Union's climate observatory confirmed this week that July was the hottest month ever recorded on Earth. In its report, the organization pointed at the abnormally high temperatures recorded on both land and sea during this summer and warned of dire consequences if the rise continues unabated.

According to a press release by the European climate monitoring organization, July's global average temperature of 16.95C (62.51F) was 0.33C (0.59F) higher than the earlier record set in July 2019, when the global average temps hit 16.63C (32F). Alarmingly, the temperatures are not only higher than the last several decades of recorded history, but according to Samantha Burgess, deputy director of the EU's Copernicus Climate Change Service, the global temperatures have not been this high for the past 120,000 years of combined observational and paleoclimate records.

The global average temperature for July 2023 was the highest on record for any month and 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7F) warmer than the average for 1850 to 1900. The average temp for the month was also 0.72C (1.3F) warmer than the 1991-2020 average for July, which further confirms the steady rise in temperatures that people have been experiencing the world over. The organization further revealed that June 2023 was also the hottest June since at least 1950.

Also read: Sustainable Computing, Explained -- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. But... Is It Really That Simple?

The ill effects of extreme weather are being felt by people around the world, but the region most affected by the rising temperatures this year is Europe, where most Mediterranean countries saw record-high temperatures this summer, resulting in unbearable heatwaves and devastating forest fires. Alongside Europe, extreme heat also wreaked havoc in North Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, with temperatures climbing above 40C (104F) in many regions.

Overall, global temperatures are said to have risen by 1.2 degrees Celsius (2.16F) since the 1800s, largely due to the burning of fossil fuels over the past several decades. The increase in temperatures has not only made heatwaves hotter, longer and more frequent, but also resulted in extreme weather conditions, such as storms and floods. The disasters have destroyed livelihoods, decimated livestock, and killed humans in record numbers.

Coastal communities and marine ecology have also suffered greatly due to the rising temperatures, as the world's oceans have set new heat records this year. The temperature of the oceans' surfaces reportedly rose to 20.96C (69.7F) on July 30, beating the 20.95C record from March 2016. According to Burgess, 2023 is already "the third warmest year to date at 0.43C (0.77F) above the recent average, with the average global temperature in July at 1.5C (2.7F) above pre-industrial levels."

Permalink to story.

Have the rich eco warriors given up their private planes, waygu beef steak, and beachfront properties for city pods and big burgers yet? Have that stopped having kids, buying disposable electronic phones, or started advocating for more repairable, long term use products instead of cheap trash? Have they started advocating for nuclear to replace coal and natural gas?

No?

Then it still nothing to worry about. Just more fear mongering by the cult.

Wow. Who knew that monitoring and reporting changes is global climate conditions was worthy of so many pitchforks? Guess we should pretend everything is fine and nothing is happening. Who cares about forest fires eh?

On the flip side, the article does seem to lack any real purpose beyond "here are some numbers". Probably because the author is afraid to be openly pro or anti action. Given the responses so far even without any call to action, I can see why.

I was going to dissect the absolute insanity of the things being said in the first post, but I feel like it speaks for itself.

I don't get the hatred for these posts. I get there are a lot. But no one anywhere is doing anything about it.
Because to stop us from killing ourselves, you would have to be told what you can and can not do. Communism, marshall law. Whatever.
And most humorons... want to do whatever they please. You only get one go around. And to be a selfish ****, is perfectly fine.
All you gotta do, is have 2 children. Stop capitalism. And ya golden. The rest will fix itself.
I mean if you wanna keep fighting over sunbeds, be my guest.

But you can keep burying your head in the sand, but who knows how long it will take to fix all the mistakes.
Oh and I reckon every country is overpopulated, not enough resources, infrastructures rotten, so yeah, you have to get that money out of banks and rich plebs hands, and tax them, get it back into the system, and fix stuff. Far too many companies pumping crap into the rivers and seas.
People are not being held accountable for the bad jobs they have been paid a fortune to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back