LAN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can some1 pls help. On my desktop I get a balloon telling me the network cable is unplugged. I tried a new cable , new DSL modem and still it is telling me that, now I had to connect by USB, I would prefer by Ethernet. It was working fine until the phone lines went out after a storm but now the phone line is again working and I just cannot get the Lan connected. I tried to unstall the adapter and re installed the adapter well I guess the driver, but that balloon stays with the same message. My ISP says I am getting good signal, but it will not connect.

You may have a fried ethernet port on your modem or in your computer. Try your modem with another computer and/or connect your computer to some other ethernet device.

Thanks Nodsu for letting me know that, it is not the modem, because I am using it now with the USB port, but the funny part is, when someone from Bellsouth came and plugged in his Laptop it also said the same thing.
So now I guess I have to buy a new Ethernet card.

But you aren't using the ethernet port currently correct?

Nodsu is saying that the ethernet port on your modem is fried. Since you are using the modem via USB you are bypassing the potential problem.

As he said this can be verified by hooking up another computer to the ethernet port on the modem. If it works then the problem lies in your machine (possibly your NIC was damaged). If it doesn't then the modem's ethernet port is no longer functional.

Lan

Thanks, HoopaJoop. Correct right now I am using USB.
Another CP was connected but also received the message cable disconnected. Now I do have another modem but again it would not let me connect over Ethernet, thats why i connected USB.
I wonder if I need a new Ethernet card, or maybe I dont have the driver for it no more, but I dont know why that could be. My windows program is XP Home.

i do not have a router i dont think, it is Westell 610030 that is my modem now, I had Acatel Home when the problem occured first, so I switched to the Westell modem, but same result.

Go to wal mart, buy a new ehternet card, install it EXACTLY according to instrctions. If it works, good! If not return it to where ya bought it, and let us know how it went :)

--Jers

EDIT: Just let the part about the Bellsouth guy coming and his saying the same thing, sorry! To get this striaght though, The tech guy couldn't connect via ethernet, I wonder why he didnt put in an order for a new modem?

EDIT2: Have you tried replacing the DSL Filter that plugs in to the phone wall jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back