Laptop crashes help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlethumper

I had a Dell Lattitude C800 Windows 2000/ME and it crashes but i dont know what
to do. Whenever i started it up, it shows the whole system and then later it'll be black screen instead of showing the windows logo, this is what it says.....

.........................................STARTING WINDOWS..............................................

Windows 2000 could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt.
\WIN\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for Windows 2000 Press 8.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 setup using the
original setup floppy disk or CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to start the repair.

Is there any solution on this?:confused:

Thank you...

Do you have a windows 2000 install disc? You might even be able to upgrade this old Dell to XP...

The error may be indicating a failed hard drive. Is this laptop quite old? How much memory is installed?

My cousin always using it whenever i'm not around, then i found out she's not using it anymore and thought maybe she got tired then i found out, it crashed down or its not working anymore. I asked her why didnt she tell me before and asked her what happened. She said, she always used it playing games and downloading too many stuff then those windows starting to popped up then she said, it went off or crashes. I coulndt even find the OEM or CD-ROM anymore. Do i have to have it to upgrade my laptop to XP?

Dell do not supply the drivers for your model to use with Windows Xp

These drivers may still be able to be found on the web
But I feel you may be best sticking with 2000

The advice I gave you is correct
It is exactly what I would do

Dell themselves may supply a Recovery CD at a reduced cost, just because you contacted them !

Good Luck :grinthumb

I did what you said kimsland, but the recovery disk or whatever it is is not free.
And he said i need a new hard drive and it cost like more than $400 for 48GB on
Dells itself. I went to ebay and i found a cheaper one for 160GB and so is the
OEM for the windows 2000 proffesional. I think thats the only solution to get my laptop working again.
Anyways, thank you so much to both of you for your kind help. I am really glad
i found this site. Such a great help and lots of good info and tips from members.
Been reading diff'rent threads here lately and its been helpful.
Keep up the good work guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back