Laptop freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch999

I am not sure this is the right forum or not. I am not good at explaining stuff so I will do my best here.

I have had my laptop for almost one year. It is a Toshiba with Vista. The Hard Drive had to be replace just a little over a month after I got it. I have had some minor freezing problems before. A system repair/startup repair or whatever it is called seem to have no trouble taking care of.

The other day my laptop started acting crazy and then just didn't want to startup right. The Tobisha screen came on but after that the screen went black.

I decided to use the recovery disk and just return it back to factory form. I had some problems but eventually I thought I got it straighten out.

During the final installations I get the msg saying do not interrupt. After noticing the nothing was happening I check it out. A msg popped up saying it couldn't find upgrade or patch. After I clicked ok just to get things to advance everything else seem to have no trouble installing.

After all that finish everything seem normal. Then for no reason the computer just froze on me. No matter what I did it just froze. I try to allow it enough time to get out of it but it just remain frozen.

I can go into safe mode and it seem to do just fine. Although it did freeze up with me one time. I am not sure if that is anything or not. I was trying to see if I could install a virus protection.

Any idea on what this could be? I hope I explain it. I try doing a system repair scan and finishes in 1 sec. I never seen do that before. I did another option on the recovery disk it showed nothing. There was an error that did pop soon after the recovery part finish but I can't remember what it was called.

It is a Toshiba with Vista.
There may be a patch update or something like a pre-install driver you need to do(?)
But Toshiba make a lot of different laptops, have a look HERE, and check out any updates that need to be done
Any further help please reply with your Make and Model number

Satellite L305-S5899

That is the kind I got. I am not sure what updates I am looking for. When it does freeze. It is trying to install updates. That seem to get stuck on about 40%.

I did startup repair again. It showed everything perform successfully except this. I dunno what it is. I type it as it was shown.

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
Autochik Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Does that help anything?

Don't know, but lets run an "autochik" and find out

You can either use CheckDisk from within Windows Vista, info HERE
Or right click on your Command prompt and select Run as Administrator, and then on the command line type: chkdsk /r
Or boot from your Vista disc and select the Command prompt and run chkdsk /r from there

I'd also recommend removing the HardDrive and firmly reseating it back in

Here is something else I will throw at you. Could the updates be causing it to freeze? It seem whenever it tries to update that is when is usually freezes. It will get to about 42-51% and then just freeze up.

I think we may be getting somewhere now
So did CheckDisk fix the "Usn Journal Verification Volume Bitmap incorrect"
If it did Windows likely restarted (by itself) after the Checkdisk scan completed
I'd suggest run another CheckDisk to confirm

Also in relation to the Windows Updates (obviously now running in Windows)
Run CCleaner on your computer

Another thing. Instead of replying to yourself (and me getting two emails !)
Use the EDIT button to add to your post, if your post is the last post in the thread (presently due to my reply here, it isn't)
So did you get this one email :D

:haha: Alright, I'll do that. As for the computer. Still work fine for the most part in safe mode. In normal mode...I guess that windows mode. It is still freezing up. Now I'm up to 53% on the windows update. :haha: I dunno what else to do. I tried the link you gave me. Deleted everything and still the problem persist.

edit:

Volume bitmap seem to be corrected now. However it is still freezing up. I am not sure if its the updates its trying to install doing it or not. I try loading a web browser and it froze. I left it along and it froze. I am out of ideas on what is the matter with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back