Laptop LCD not working

braydonzdaddy

Recently my laptop LCD screen has stopped working properly. It all started when my laptop was picked up in a hurry and the battery came out while the computer was turned on. When turning the computer on now, the backlight comes on, and windows boots (you can hear when windows loads) but no image appears on the screen. I took the laptop apart completely and reseated every connection and nothing has changed. Nothing looks broken so i'm not sure what to replace. I was told that since the backlight works that i shouldn't need to replace the screen... Should I replace the inverter board? It is a Dell XPS M1530. Please get back to me asap... I need my computer for work......

Its a bit of work, but replacing the inverter will have to be done sometime anyway, and, to my way of thinking, that would be the first step in the repair chain anyway....
Any chance you damaged your power socket adapter in the accident. That is not easy to fix, and you will need to find a true expert at soldering the socket.
Might be a good time to find a friendly tech with a high quality volt ohm meter to run a few tests.

Otherwise, have you tried a repair install of Windows?

If it was the power socket adapter, would the backlight still come on? I havnt tried a windows reinstall because I cannot get any picture so it wouldn't be easy.

I had 2 Dell laptops in the past that were driving me crazy with the same issues you are having... 1 was a super easy fix, turned out the display switching system (Fn+F1) got flipped and it was set to only output to an external monitor. That was quite a while back, though - I think the Dell logo still pops up on laptops now even if the external monitor only option is enabled. Still, might be worth a shot to flip that mode a few times, see if the LCD flickers or does anything.

My second issue was more involved. Screen output worked fine on an external monitor, but the LCD was blank except for the backlight. Went round and round with it for a while, finally took it to a local authorized Dell repair guy (who was also a friend of mine) and we figured out it was the nVidia graphics board. The LCD output was blown, but the GPU was still working, and the external was fine. Weirdest thing. Popped in a new GPU (under warranty luckily) and I was back in business.

Back