Laptop startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop continuously cycles at startup:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)

SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09b Hook Int18

Client MAC ADDR: ???? No DHCP or Proxy DHCP offers were received.

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

What does this mean? Any help would be appreciated. I recently installed a new hard drive. It hasn’t been a year yet & it's been running fine.

Thank You

What operating system are you using? DHCP is network related and shouldn't affect the system at startup. Is there a disk in the drive that it is trying to boot from?

Reply to startup problem

Sorry! Had to leave for a while. I am running windows XP. There was a cd in the drive with a video on it. But that was removed. It starts with the default Dell screen then goes right to the "Intel UNDI".

I forgot to mention. I got to the boot menu/configuration screen and in the Hard drive spot it says 0 GB. Does that mean it's not recognizing it?

Thanx,

Randy

I think UNDI is used for booting from a network drive or something, so you may need to change the setting to local hard drive. I think the reason it says 0GB is because there is no network drive available, which also explains the DHCP error. Try holding CTRL+S while the computer is starting up and see if it brings up a boot menu (or however you got there earlier). Change the default boot to "local" and restart.

Go to BIOS. Make sure, that the boot order reads: floppy, CD, HD
Disable Boot from Network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx)

SiS900 PXE BootROM v1.09b Hook Int18
Client MAC ADDR: ???? No DHCP or Proxy DHCP offers were received.
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Yes this is an attempt to boot from the network; the clues are noted.

Broni is right on. If you can't boot with the device sequence CD, HD, then you have a problem with the MBR, boot.ini or even the partition table ... all of which will need further investigation.

PLEASE report your findings for further assistance.

Thank you "ALL"
I appreciate the effort. I have hade a busy day (pre-planned by my wife) I will gather more info. and report back as soon as I can. I can get to the boot menu and change the config. but still juist get the same error. I will try to forward all the info. from the screen.

Thanx,

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back