Laptop wont detect external usb HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

0b3

ive got a seagate 80 gb hard drive which i previously put in a safecom usb caddy to use with my laptop.
it worked fine until about a week ago as whenever i plugged it in to USB laptop said device has malfunctioned.
i then bought a new caddy ( qtec) and tried connecting that to my laptop. it said device could not be installed properly.
i have a Dell inspiron 1000 laptop im not sure if it has usb 2 can someone please advise me on how to find out if it has and also how i can get my hard drive recognised by my laptop

Many thanks in advance

A few things it could be...
1) A power issue. Are you trying this with the laptop running on the AC adapter ? ?
2) A HDD problem. Try hooking that drive up to another machine and see if it is picked up.

The issue with USB2 is not the problem as the unit was working at one time, but you can check your MBoard manual and it will tell you what type USB you have.

patio. :cool:

thanks patio ive sorted the problem out now, turns out it was the jumper plug on the back of the drive, it worked in my previous caddy set as slave but in my new one it didnt.
so i set it to master and it now works fine

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back