Latest Windows 11 insider preview tries to lower carbon emissions

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: This week, Microsoft released a Windows 11 insider preview build that has found an interesting way to help reduce a PC's carbon footprint. It also adds phone linking, Microsoft 365 subscription management, and enhancements to various parts of the Windows 11 interface.

The main addition of Windows 11 insider build 22567 is the ability to schedule updates for times of the day when the local energy grid is pulling more from renewable energy sources. It uses regional carbon intensity data from electricityMap and WattTime if available. Windows hasn't rolled out the optional feature to all insiders yet but will expand it based on initial feedback.

Another new feature appears to be a follow-up to Microsoft's subscription information page that rolled out last month. Now it takes one less click to view a user's Microsoft 365 subscription, located in Settings > Accounts. The new UI also displays subscription payment information.

Microsoft 365 still seems to be the only subscription this feature helps you keep track of so far. Microsoft hasn't mentioned whether it plans to add Game Pass or non-Microsoft subscriptions to the informative page. However, the account pages will now more prominently display free services included with Microsoft accounts, like OneDrive or Office on the web. Microsoft will likely use this to advertise 365 more aggressively.

In the new build, users can link an Android phone to Windows 11, allowing users to handle many of the handset's functions with a keyboard and mouse. These include making calls, sending texts, and using apps.

The new build also brings several smaller tweaks to the “Open With” dialog box, the start menu, touch gestures, voice typing, and more. The release notes have all the details for those interested.

Permalink to story.

Good to see that it remains optional and Microsoft respects religious freedom, not everyone believes in climate change.

Oh dear. W11 update which reduces carbon-footprint.

Next week coming W11 update which will stop organized crime and next quarter M$ is supposed to solve gun violence in the US also with W11 update. /s [just to be sure that joke is not lost]

Seriously I would prefer to reduce my carbon footprint with nVidia not releasing (rumored) 800W GPUs and Intel not releasing 1kW CPUs (we have -niche- 3175X already and it'll be only worse if 'small', consumer ADL is anything to judge). That's -I think- more useful than any and all W11 updates combined.

Thanks to Daniel Sims for the heads up. Worrying that it's getting buried by a series of dubious and seemingly politically motivated posts having little or no relevance to the topic.

Seriously I would prefer to reduce my carbon footprint with nVidia not releasing (rumored) 800W GPUs and Intel not releasing 1kW CPUs (we have -niche- 3175X already and it'll be only worse if 'small', consumer ADL is anything to judge). That's -I think- more useful than any and all W11 updates combined.
You conflated "reduce MY carbon footprint" with OTHER people doing things.

*You* shouldn't buy those products to reduce *your* footprint. That's how personal responsibility works. "Fixing things" by telling everyone else to do it accomplishs nothing.
(Unless you are in government then it leads towards tyranny).

At least they're only talking about carbon emissions (those noxious fumes emitted by Diesel engines) and not carbon dioxide (the harmless gas that green plants make all food from)!

At least they're only talking about carbon emissions (those noxious fumes emitted by Diesel engines) and not carbon dioxide (the harmless gas that green plants make all food from)!
Not so fast. CO2 was fine in the amounts present in pre-industrial society The earth was lush and green. CO2 IS a greenhouse gas.

Venus has an atmosphere practically made out of it. I think the surface temperature is somewhere near 800 F.

And no, that fact that it's closer to the sun doesn't explain its vast surface temperature differential from that of earth.

Speaking of carbon emissions, fluorocarbons are especially nasty as well. In fact, we almost hair-sprayed a hole in the ozone layer with them..

Last edited:
Not so fast. CO2 was fine in the amounts present in pre-industrial society The earth was lush and green. CO2 IS a greenhouse gas.

Venus has an atmosphere practically made out of it. I think the surface temperature is somewhere near 800 F.

And no, that fact that it's closer to the sun doesn't explain its vast surface temperature differential from that of earth.

Speaking of carbon emissions, fluorocarbons are especially nasty as well. In fact, we almost hair-sprayed a hole in the ozone layer with them..
And CO2 is a by product of diesel fuel - https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/MichaelBartmess/CO2+from+Diesel+Fuel

Edit: I think M$ is really pushing the marketing on this one. So it can automatically pick a time for updates when, supposedly, emissions would be lesser? I wonder, by how many grams, this would reduce the CO2 emission from an update? Somehow, I do not think the impact will be significant. Maybe a greater impact would be from reduction of bloatware, tracking crap, and all the cutsie stuff they think they have to do to attract more dolts to Windohs than finding the least polluting times to do updates? I guess Satya Nadalla needs to make an impression that M$ is at least trying to do something meaningful. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Satya Nadalla needs to make an impression that M$ is at least trying to do something meaningful.
Satya Nadella, the worlds most obnoxious H1-B. I hear he got his marketing degree from "The New Delhi Street Market University". Or, at the very least, interned there..

And CO2 is a by product of diesel fuel -
CO2 & CO are the products of incomplete combustion, period.

The trick, (or the terror), behind those big rigs, is the fact they're so inefficient, they pretty much act as portable cracking towers. You're liable to get any hydrocarbon out of the stacks, as long as it's lighter than kerosene.. Especially when pumping out that black smoke. Not to mention those engines are about 900 cid.

You really could catch a buzz oft the exhausts. (I know, I accidentally let one run in a shop one time). Everybody in the 6 bay truck garage was half stoned after about 5 or 10 minutes..

In fact, even starting them in freezing weather was a two man job..One guy would stand on the ground, spraying ether up into the air intake, while somebody else cranked it over.

As soon as you saw a puff of white smoke out of the exhaust, you let off the ether, and the big beasts barked to life.

Please get your facts straight. Geologic core samples show that a very long time ago (thousands or millions of years ago depending on whether you believe the young-Earth theory or the ancient-Earth theory) CO2 levels varied between current levels (currently at the minimum) and more than 20 X current levels. And during those cycles, the average global temperature varied between global ice age and global tropics, totally unrelated to the variations in CO2 levels. When both temperature and CO2 are plotted on a timeline, they show absolutely no correlation - they both vary very randomly.

And CO2 can't be a greenhouse gas. CO2 is a linear molecule, so it can only vibrate in 2 directions. Therefore it can absorb only 2 distinct frequencies (wavelengths) of sunlight. Water is a V-shaped molecule and it has 6 distinct oscillation modes, so it can absorb 6 different frequencies of sunlight. Furthermore, there is a lot more water in the atmosphere than CO2. So CO2 absorbs less than .02% of the sun's energy, whereas water absorbs more than 99.97% of the sun's energy. Water is the greenhouse gas. The only greenhouse gas. CO2 isn't even a drop in the ocean. The problem is: politicians can't tax or regulate the water cycle! As for other gasses, they are present in far lower amounts than even CO2, so they have an even lesser effect.

Besides, what's wrong with a warmer climate? Plants grow better in a warmer climate. That's why gardeners build greenhouses. In historical times (hundreds of years ago), the climate was notably warmer. Remember when Egyptians were depicted in ancient paintings as being shirtless and Greeks and Romans wore flimsy togas? Coastal cities weren't flooded and polar bears weren't extinct. And more of the Earth's land area was farmable. Then a series of volcanic eruptions (Krakatoa and others) spewed so much volcanic ash into the atmosphere that it sent the world into a mini ice age that has never abated. Until Al Gore (a politician, not a scientist) went around spewing his lies about CO2, scientists were worried that this mini ice age would someday turn into a major ice age.

Venus' atmospheric pressure is approx. 100 X Earth's. And Venus' atmosphere contains a lot of sulfuric acid.
Again, wrong. That theory was proposed by a college student (obviously not a science or engineering major) for his master's thesis and is almost as full of holes as Al Gore's "climate change" fairy tale. While chlorine may indeed cause the reduction of O3 to O2, O3 is produced by the action of ultraviolet radiation from the Sun, and O3 blocks UV. If there's less O3, more UV gets through to produce O3 which then blocks the UV. It's a self-regulating mechanism that we engineers call "negative feedback".
Furthermore, the hole in the ozone layer is over Antarctica - a part of the world that receives NO sunlight (and therefore no UV to produce) for most of autumn and winter. Of course there's a shortage of O3 there! And so what? Antarctica is so cold that if you were to step outside without several inches of padded clothing, you'd likely freeze to death before you could even close the door behind you.
Scientists have known about the 11-year cycle in the Sun's activity for a long time, whereas satellite observations of O3 levels over Antarctica have only been made for a much shorter time - not long enough to learn of any long-duration trends that aren't caused by cyclic solar activity. Once again, politics, not science rules! Politicians can't regulate solar activity, so they picked on something they could regulate.

Plants grow better in a warmer climate.
Get your facts straight. SOME plants grow better in a warm climate. All of them require a drop in night temperatures, to balance their energy cycles, the same as humans need to sleep to regenerate tissue.

As for greenhouses, there is an old pejorative about females that present themselves as being oh so very, even overly, delicate, we used to call them "hot house flowers".

That's was an eloquent and long winded spiel about denial of climate change though. But do me a favor, quote somebody else for your next diatribe.

Oh and about excess carbon dioxide in the atmosphere;
The atmosphere of Venus is made up almost completely of carbon dioxide. It also includes small doses of nitrogen and clouds of sulfuric acid ...

As for its surface temperature, it's hotter than mercury

Mean Temperatures on Each Planet
Planetary surface temperatures tend to get colder the farther a planet is from the Sun. Venus is the exception, as its proximity to the Sun, and its dense atmosphere make it our solar system's hottest planet. The mean temperatures of planets in our solar system are:

• Mercury - 333°F (167°C)
  • Venus - 867°F (464°C)
  • Earth - 59°F (15°C)
  • Mars - Minus 85°F (-65°C)
  • Jupiter - Minus 166°F (-110°C)
  • Saturn - Minus 220°F (-140°C)
  • Uranus - Minus 320°F (-195°C)
  • Neptune - Minus 330°F (-200°C)
  • Dwarf Planet Pluto - Minus 375°F (-225°C

I suppose the next time we speak, (I'm hoping not), you'll be on an anti vaxxing rant.

BTW, those numbers are straight from NASA, not from Faux News.

PS, UV has little to nothing to do with heating. I'd suggest you hold the textbook right side up the next time you try and quote one. Surface heating is more of the responsibility of the infrared portion of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Back