Lcd monitor goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

s_chab87

Hi all,
i am here today because I am in need of serious help. I recently bought a new computer with a sceptre x22 lcd monitor. When i first started to use my computer my monitor would go black once in a while, in fact it didn't turn totally black since i could barely see the clear areas such as the taskbar etc. Now since then it started to happen frequently, and today i was playing a game online and it would happen every damn 15 seconds. Now take note that turning off and on the monitor normally temporarily puts my computer back on track. Right now I am plugged on my old lcd and everything is going right. For the lcd i tried vga and dvi, both didn't work. Now I think my video card is not totally inserted in the pci express (one side must be 1 or 2 mm out), because the case just won't permit it, the video card is too big or I don't know what. Now since I changed monitors and the problem is gone, i guess the problem is not the video card.
Please help! Thanks

Or it could be something else happening... You can tell if the backlight is going bad... Is this PC on some sort of home network workgroup? Next time check the event viewer, go into the control panel under Administrator tools. If you don't have XP Pro no need to check though...

What type of video is driving the monitor? On-board or separate video card?Do you have the vertical refresh rate set at 60Hz?

s_chab87 said:
i have a geforce 8800 set at 1680x1050x60Hz

Try another resolution like 1024x768x60Hz just for testing. If it doesn't change anything, the monitor may be bad

well then, you troubleshot your own problem. If the video card works on anther monitor - it's not the card!
LCD monitors can be repaired, but it may not be worth it.

s_chab87 said:
yes i have win xp pro how what do i look for in event viewer?

When it blanks out look at the event viewer. I had the same problem, it happens when your doing somethng on the network or internet. There's a glitch in XP Pro SP2, should be fixed with SP3 if that ever come out? I've seem this on two systems both running the same type of Geforce AGP 8x card, same drivers same everything except for different LCD Monitors. So it's not the monitor nor the Video Card. Something when running the Network. The error states in the event log couldn't access data from bla, bla. It resets itself though, like it's timing out. There is fix but it comes right back again. Doesn't happen to often though..

Now in SP1 for XP Pro this problem isn't present go figure..

tipstir said:
When it blanks out look at the event viewer. I had the same problem, it happens when your doing somethng on the network or internet. There's a glitch in XP Pro SP2, should be fixed with SP3 if that ever come out? I've seem this on two systems both running the same type of Geforce AGP 8x card, same drivers same everything except for different LCD Monitors. So it's not the monitor nor the Video Card. Something when running the Network. The error states in the event log couldn't access data from bla, bla. It resets itself though, like it's timing out. There is fix but it comes right back again. Doesn't happen to often though..

Now in SP1 for XP Pro this problem isn't present go figure..

this could really be the problem I think. I am having all sorts of troubles with my wireless device DWL-G132. I'll start looking on this side tell you if it has anything to do with the problem. Thanks everyone for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back