Lego built a life-size, drivable Bugatti Chiron out of a million Technic pieces

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Lego's life-size Bugatti Chiron is a first of its kind in many ways and an engineering marvel, especially considering it doesn't use any glue and is drivable with power from Lego components.

Lego earlier this year announced a 1:8 scale Bugatti Chiron model. The $349 toy measured 22 inches long and consisted of nearly 3,600 individual pieces but it pales in comparison to Lego’s latest creation – a life-size drivable Chiron built with over a million Technic pieces.

The Lego Bugatti Chiron is the result of more than 13,000 hours of development and construction. The team set out with the idea that 90 percent of the car had to be built with Lego parts. It utilizes 339 different types of Lego Technic elements including 4,032 gear wheels and 2,304 Lego Power Functions motors. It weighs more than 3,300 pounds, has a functional rear spoiler and a top speed of more than 12 mph.

Impressively enough, no glue was used in the vehicle’s assembly and every Lego element was built by hand.

Le Mans-winning racecar driver Andy Wallace, who test drove the Lego Chiron, said he was immediately impressed by the accuracy of the model and its attention to detail. From about 20 meters away, he added, it’s not obvious that you’re looking at a Lego car.

Permalink to story.

I WANT IT!!!! Makes my LEGO Millennium Falcon look puny and cheap :)

This is why working for LEGO is the greatest job ever!

I wonder what more they could do to waste even more time, money, and resources?

Oh wait, hold the phone, I've got it! Paint the real Bugatti, with each individual crack and line of the Lego.model

That should amaze and astound people for a fleeting moment.

Hm, it seems I've discovered something something mostly unrealized about our fast paced modern society. What was formerly, "fifteen minutes of fame", has shrunk to about "fifteen seconds of fame". Next article please.guys. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know how much more it costs than the regular Bugatti

With the extortionate price of Lego nowadays I don't doubt it one bit.

It's a sad state when purchasing tiny plastic bricks in an effort to experience some much needed nostalgia becomes unfeasible :'(

It's a sad state when purchasing tiny plastic bricks in an effort to experience some much needed nostalgia becomes unfeasible :'(
lol, this isn't for sale.... nor will it be.... LEGO loves making stuff like this - they let their "LEGO engineers" have fun, and at the same time, it gives them press which gets people intrigued and makes them buy more LEGO :)

You can't put a dollar value on this - their engineers simply were given time and LEGO :) While it might have cost more than a Chiron, it's not like they were going to be doing anything else with their time (other than building other cool stuff!).

lol, this isn't for sale.... nor will it be.... LEGO loves making stuff like this - they let their "LEGO engineers" have fun, and at the same time, it gives them press which gets people intrigued and makes them buy more LEGO :)

You can't put a dollar value on this - their engineers simply were given time and LEGO :) While it might have cost more than a Chiron, it's not like they were going to be doing anything else with their time (other than building other cool stuff!).

No kidding - it's their own time... know what software developers do in the US for a break? Ping pong and Foosball. At least this is cool.

LEGO are expensive, but I'm constantly impressed by the quality. Can you imagine the quality control you need to have to make each and every brick stick together with the exact same force? If the plastic was the tinniest bit too flexible or if an occasional brick was the tinniest bit too big or small it wouldn't fit. There's never even any seams or burrs or anything on them.

There are other brands out there that make things almost exactly the same as LEGO - like identical. Except they fall apart, don't stick right and are too flexible. They're expensive because they're the best.

I ac

No kidding - it's their own time... know what software developers do in the US for a break? Ping pong and Foosball. At least this is cool.

LEGO are expensive, but I'm constantly impressed by the quality. Can you imagine the quality control you need to have to make each and every brick stick together with the exact same force? If the plastic was the tinniest bit too flexible or if an occasional brick was the tinniest bit too big or small it wouldn't fit. There's never even any seams or burrs or anything on them.

There are other brands out there that make things almost exactly the same as LEGO - like identical. Except they fall apart, don't stick right and are too flexible. They're expensive because they're the best.

I actually bought some legos for my young son, a blue monster truck, and some of the legos have cracked. And they are some of the strongest ones I can remember. Like the single flat ones, the ones you need to stack 3 of to make a normal sized single cube. The sides of them have split, strangest thing, I dont remember that as a child.

Also, I dug up some of my old Legos at my moms for my son and the white bricks have not faired well...very gross looking now. Like old Nintendo plastic. :(

I never thought or suggested it was for sale. I only expressed an interest in knowing the dollar value of such a project and wagered stragely it'd cost more than the real deal.

Same but I don't remember this stuff being so expensive. Quality has certainly always been top notch.
Granted I'm remembering things through kid vision but I'm sure pricing has skyrocketed over the years.

Back