LG 27GL850 Review: Fast IPS for Gaming

Julio Franco

Staff member
27" is just too small.
I bought my first 27" monitor some 15 years ago and the format is just too small for the latest resolution. If you at 1080p, there is no sense in having 32".

Plus, I no longer sit right over top of my monitor, like I did when in college. But now I have the luxury of sitting back in a $$$ gamer chair, in a reclined and relaxed gaming position... ready for many hours of gaming. Good posture all throughout.

My face is nearly 4 feet from my screen, surely these companies know this and should be releasing their top and best displays on 32" first..at a premium. And dump the 27" in mass market for those who still stuck in a compromise.

Last edited:
Nice monitor for sure but for gaming there is nothing better than a TN panel.

Not that its a big deal really. My gaming laptop has an IPS panel and it's, you know, just fine.

27" is just too small.
I bought my first 27" monitor some 15 years ago and the format is just too small for the latest resolution. If you at 1080p, there is no sense in having 32".

Plus, I no longer sit right over top of my monitor, like I did when in college. But now I have the luxury of sitting back in a $$$ gamer chair, in a reclined and relaxed gaming position... ready for many hours of gaming. Good posture all throughout.

My face is nearly 4 feet from my screen, surely these companies know this and should be releasing their top and best displays on 32" first..at a premium. And dump the 27" in mass market for those who still stuck in a compromise.
Most people don't sit 4 feet away in a reclined relaxed position.
I couldn't do a 32in desktop monitor again unless it was 21:9.

The ONLY game I play at a distance is Rocket League. Every other single game is on KBM and requires I scoot up closer to the desk.

27" is just too small.

I agree with you. Decent monitor though regardless.

An excellent monitor if you are upgrading to a 27". I have a 27" IPS 60 Hz 1440p iiyama monitor that is very good for gaming. So it's not worth me spending $500 just for the adaptive sync and higher refresh rate. But if that broke and I needed a new one, I'd definitely consider this LG model. Or maybe a 32".

I'm the only one hating on the fact that monitors are getting larger and larger?
not everyone likes to play on a cinema, I wish I could get this monitor in 24".

I'm the only one hating on the fact that monitors are getting larger and larger?
not everyone likes to play on a cinema, I wish I could get this monitor in 24".

I hate the fact that monitors are getting wider and wider, which is actually loss, not gain. Hammerhead sharks may have their eyes spread wide apart, but humans don't. So having 2:1 ratio seems like something made for aliens, not humans. I want monitors to go back to 16:10 ratio, which was perfect for human visual system.

This 2:1 ratio we're seeing more and more is fueled by greed. Manufacturers want to sell large-diagonal monitors, but at the same time have as small surface area as possible, because it means less pixels, which means cheaper production.

Extremely wide monitors satisfy those needs, as the diagonal is huge, but surface area isn't. Meaning, half of your visual field (above and below monitor) is filled with your room, not the picture. Forcing you to buy a huge monitor, that fills the view vertically, but picture gets outside of field of view horizontally. So you have to turn your head to see parts of the picture, which is stupid.

I want the monitors back to 16:10 ratio which was ideal for humans. I apologize to hammerhead sharks, they might opt for 3:1 ratio.

27" is just too small.

Most people don't sit 4 feet away in a reclined relaxed position.
I couldn't do a 32in desktop monitor again unless it was 21:9.

The ONLY game I play at a distance is Rocket League. Every other single game is on KBM and requires I scoot up closer to the desk.
Correct, that is because you have made a compromise.
And are choosing to sit closer, because you do not wish to sit back-reclined, because of the premium to do so.

Same compromise as any college student, sitting at a desk. It is not how you want to be gaming, it is how you have to, given your situation. Change that to a 32" 34", or 38" and a $$$ gamer chair and what you think, changes.

Correct, that is because you have made a compromise.
And are choosing to sit closer, because you do not wish to sit back-reclined, because of the premium to do so.

Same compromise as any college student, sitting at a desk. It is not how you want to be gaming, it is how you have to, given your situation. Change that to a 32" 34", or 38" and a $$$ gamer chair and what you think, changes.
Huh? No its because I can't land the flicks I want if I halfway recline with cheetos all over me and a MtnDew CodeRed sweating bullets onto my mousepad like you have it. I sit up straight and as tall as my king sized chair with lumbar adjustment will go. I used to have a 32in, then a 50in now back to 27in and 144Hz G Sync.

I sit far back in rocket league because I can see the whole screen easier. Instead of taking up more of my field of vision I like having the entire screen in my CENTER of vision.

Premium to do so..gtfo yo have no clue.
Which ultra premium racing chair do you got, Mr. Supremium?

Huh? No its because I can't land the flicks I want if I halfway recline with cheetos all over me and a MtnDew CodeRed sweating bullets onto my mousepad like you have it. I sit up straight and as tall as my king sized chair with lumbar adjustment will go. I used to have a 32in, then a 50in now back to 27in and 144Hz G Sync.

I sit far back in rocket league because I can see the whole screen easier. Instead of taking up more of my field of vision I like having the entire screen in my CENTER of vision.

Premium to do so..gtfo yo have no clue.
Which ultra premium racing chair do you got, Mr. Supremium?

I have several gaming computers. Only one is where the keyboard is 6" away from the screen, where you have to sit upright, like your typing a report, not gaming.

In that situation, I had to compromise, because it is after-all, a third system.

Most people would want a sperate room, with a $40k set-up. But most can't, or won't afford Themselves such a luxury, so they compromise. Everyone does.

Announcing anything "new" should be out on 32" panels first, before it is out on 27", because bigger panels are the premium market and should serve as the flagships. Nobody really cares about 27" technology, only that it fits their compromise.

27" anything is old news.

Last edited:
I have several gaming computers. Only one is where the keyboard is 6" away from the screen, where you have to sit upright, like your typing a report, not gaming.

In that situation, I had to compromise, because it is after-all, it is a third system.

Most people would want a sperate room, with a $40k set-up. But most can't, or won't afford Themselves such a luxury, so they compromise. Everyone does.

Announcing anything "new" should be out on 32" panels first, before it is out on 27", because bigger panels are the premium market and should serve as the flagships. Nobody really cares about 27" technology, only that it fits their compromise.

27" anything is old news.
Nobody cares about 27in screens? You know it's all about distance? If you have a bigger screen yes you can sit further away but you're still within the same optimal view distance for the screens size as if you were sitting closer to a smaller screen. It's all a ratio.

Good posture means sitting up in your chair, butt all the way back, knees slightly below hips eyes should be level with about the top 1/3rd of the screen at a comfortable distance. Distance can be measured twice. The 1st time is moving away from the screen until the user can comfortably read, the 2nd is from the 1st distance move towards the screen until comfortable, the optimal distance is within those two comfort zones. Screen size doesn't matter.

Your back and neck must be killing you from all the ugly slouching or does your supremium gamer chair have anti-slouching tech? I find it hilarious you think spending fat cash on a "gamer chair" will suddenly make me like using a larger screen more even though I would have to sit back further to be at the same optimal view distance.

You had another terrible error.
"it is after all, it is"
You could have said "after all it is a third system" or "it is after all a third system" or even "it is a third system after all".

27" is just too small.

Bruh you're supposed to be like arms length away. This isn't a them problem. Move it closer or buy a different panel. You're such a small outlier.

Nobody cares about 27in screens? You know it's all about distance? If you have a bigger screen yes you can sit further away but you're still within the same optimal view distance for the screens size as if you were sitting closer to a smaller screen. It's all a ratio.

Good posture means sitting up in your chair, butt all the way back, knees slightly below hips eyes should be level with about the top 1/3rd of the screen at a comfortable distance. Distance can be measured twice. The 1st time is moving away from the screen until the user can comfortably read, the 2nd is from the 1st distance move towards the screen until comfortable, the optimal distance is within those two comfort zones. Screen size doesn't matter.

Your back and neck must be killing you from all the ugly slouching or does your supremium gamer chair have anti-slouching tech? I find it hilarious you think spending fat cash on a "gamer chair" will suddenly make me like using a larger screen more even though I would have to sit back further to be at the same optimal view distance.

"it is after all, it is"
You could have said "after all it is a third system" or "it is after all a third system" or even "it is a third system after all".

You are at a desk for 4h+ gaming and sitting upright, then it is because one is ignorant of ergonomic, or poor.

Smaller isn't better. Nobody want to stair at a TV monitor from 1 foot away... they are stuck doing it. Given unlimited cash, how would you design your computer room, wooden desk? Or would you take ergonomics and comfort along with human condition into consideration.

Please stop, you are embarrassing yourself here. There are studies for ergonomics and such... you sound like a kid in a basement, not someone who been building their computer room for 25 years. The whole point of building a computer desk and chair is so you don't have to slouch (like a kid in a college dorm), as with a proper set-up you play slightly reclined. I have an orbital keyboard tray that swings out to me... I don't have to lean into my monitor.

The mere fact you said screen size doesn't matter, it is all about ratio is hilarious. You assume every person want to be like a needy college student and sit with a monitor right in their face with a 24"?, or even closer yet with a 21". Obviously, the more you move it away to comfortable position, the bigger it has to be...

Tiny text @ 1440p on a tiny 27" is for tiny people with tiny wallets. It is not what you want, it is what you decided on given what is out there.

"it is after all, it is"

You are at a desk for 4h+ gaming and sitting upright, then it is because one is ignorant of ergonomic, or poor.

Smaller isn't better. Nobody want to stair at a TV monitor from 1 foot away... they are stuck doing it. Given unlimited cash, how would you design your computer room, wooden desk? Or would you take ergonomics and comfort along with human condition into consideration.

Please stop, you are embarrassing yourself here. There are studies for ergonomics and such... you sound like a kid in a basement, not someone who been building their computer room for 25 years. The whole point of building a computer desk and chair is so you don't have to slouch (like a kid in a college dorm), as with a proper set-up you play slightly reclined. I have an orbital keyboard tray that swings out to me... I don't have to lean into my monitor.

The mere fact you said screen size doesn't matter, it is all about ratio is hilarious. You assume every person want to be like a needy college student and sit with a monitor right in their face with a 24"?, or even closer yet with a 21". Obviously, the more you move it away to comfortable position, the bigger it has to be...

Tiny text @ 1440p on a tiny 27" is for tiny people with tiny wallets. It is not what you want, it is what you decided on given what is out there.
Yeah and probably in the next 25 years you'll be playing games like the guys from Wall-E, because moving at all or even sitting straight is too last century and cheap, smh.

Phew. Some people here are saying 27" is too SMALL? I've been happily using 24" at 1080p since they first hit the market. They're plenty big to me, and already take up the vast majority of the available space on my desk.

A monitor like this would be a nice upgrade for me, provided I could afford it someday.

27" is just too small.

HAHA If I want to lay back and recline, than I'll do that on one of my home theater recliners in front of my LG OLED TV with perfect blacks and near instantaneous response times, 4K @ 120Hz.

If you're competitive you'll want a smaller monitor not a larger one, but if you're old and over the hill and possibly wash'd up, than competitive gaming might be out of the arena.

Happy Gaming!

Phew. Some people here are saying 27" is too SMALL? I've been happily using 24" at 1080p since they first hit the market. They're plenty big to me, and already take up the vast majority of the available space on my desk.

A monitor like this would be a nice upgrade for me, provided I could afford it someday.

You're right 27" is a nice, plenty for an average sized desk. I purchased the monitor last week and can vouch its the best IPS gaming panel on the market if you value competitiveness as well as picture quality.

Happy Gaming

"it is after all, it is"

m3 stating 27" is old news haha the most popular gaming panels are 24" and 27"!

HAHA If I want to lay back and recline, than I'll do that on one of my home theater recliners in front of my LG OLED TV with perfect blacks and near instantaneous response times, 4K @ 120Hz.

If you're competitive you'll want a smaller monitor not a larger one, but if you're old and over the hill and possibly wash'd up, than competitive gaming might be out of the arena.

Happy Gaming!

HaHA..!
I bet I have more free hardware from sponsors, than you do.

I want a 39" OLED for gaming. Don't care the price....

Also, stop pretending that Professionals use anything but CRTs at home and out of the public eye. I know many professionals that use projection TV, or even older rear projection TV, for home practice and non-lan competition.

They all want a 39" oled too...

Last edited:
I bet they do lol I don't need or want handouts, I happily pay for my own gear. But, yes OLED gaming is absolutely amazing. Very immersive. I hope you get your 39" Oled panel...

Consider the new LG 55" OLED C9. 4K @ 120Hz support. HDMI 2.1. Only 7.0ms input lag. Insane gaming TV. You can also lower to 1440p if needed. All for $1,500. Can't beat it.

I already have the 65" E9 (glass) for a Television. Which is vastly different than a gaming monitor. Console gaming is ultra casual, PC gaming is just the opposite & the reason I have different rigs, for different activities.

Nobody wants 27", it is what they are stuck with. Give me 32" or greater.

No true. I enjoy the size of my 27" monitor. 32" is not competitive enough for me.

Ask me again in a few years. I'll teach you something I learned a long time ago, and it may stick with you the rest of your life as well, "to each his own."

Everyone is unique with different perspectives and priorities.

Take care

Back