LG and Samsung release statements saying they don't throttle their older phones

Polycount

Staff

Although some iPhone owners and analysts may have accepted Apple's decision to throttle the CPU performance of older iPhones as standard industry practice, it's beginning to seem like the opposite is true.

Just yesterday, The Verge reached out to HTC and Motorola to determine whether or not they too throttle the performance of their older phones - both companies responded to say that they do not, with Motorola simply stating that "[They] do not throttle CPU performance based on older batteries." However, as we noted at the time, this wording does leave room for the possibility that other phone manufacturers throttle their phones for reasons other than the preservation of battery life.

Likely seeing the opportunity to get some free positive PR, more phone manufacturers have come forward regarding the phone performance throttling debacle - this time LG and Samsung.

In a statement to PhoneArena when asked if they throttle their older phones' performance, LG simply said "Never have, never will! We care what our customers think," while Samsung wrote a lengthier response:

"Product quality has been and will always be Samsung Mobile's top priority. We ensure extended battery life of Samsung mobile devices through multi-layer safety measures, which include software algorithms that govern the battery charging current and charging duration. We do not reduce CPU performance through software updates over the lifecycles of the phone."

In an attempt to recover lost trust, Apple issued a formal apology to their customers regarding their handling of the situation, offering heavily discounted, $29 battery replacements to anyone who owns an iPhone 6 or later, a decision that takes effect in late January.

However, device repair tool seller iFixit called Apple's solution a "temporary" fix, opting to cut the prices of their own iPhone battery replacement kits to $29 or less, supporting iPhones as old as the 4S.

Permalink to story.

They don't need to tell us this. Since when do these companies ever support their customers. Last I checked samsung hardly provides updates especially to its older phones. In fact samsung does not provide support for the majority of it's many handsets.

They don't need to tell us this. Since when do these companies ever support their customers. Last I checked samsung hardly provides updates especially to its older phones. In fact samsung does not provide support for the majority of it's many handsets.
They allow you to update your device yourself, not only that but also while removing unwanted software and adding other optional never available at launch pieces of software. Have you ever heard of custom ROMs?

Samsung doesn't throttle their phones - they just let them explode instead :)
except that no phone actually exploded, it was all trolls and misinformed media that created this FUD.
You forgot to mention that obama/trump was somehow behind this. If youre gonna go full conspiracy theory, at least do it right.

They allow you to update your device yourself, not only that but also while removing unwanted software and adding other optional never available at launch pieces of software. Have you ever heard of custom ROMs?
By "allow" you mean " some models can have their bootloaders unlocked so they can boot custom software" which is NOT the same thing. Not to mention many custom ROMs have major bugs, infrequent updates, and can often have either performance issues or are unable to use any specialized software.

A half assed "we didnt bother locking the bootloader down" is not the same as providing OEM tested updates like apple or google do.

The majority of people don't have the technical know-how to attempt customizing their phone. And even for those who do, it's still a daunting task and bricking your phone is an ever-present risk. Not to mention unlocking or jail breaking a phone. It's high time that we should be able to update phones with OS's, just like PC's are, without having to hack them first.

You forgot to mention that obama/trump was somehow behind this. If youre gonna go full conspiracy theory, at least do it right.

By "allow" you mean " some models can have their bootloaders unlocked so they can boot custom software" which is NOT the same thing. Not to mention many custom ROMs have major bugs, infrequent updates, and can often have either performance issues or are unable to use any specialized software.

A half assed "we didnt bother locking the bootloader down" is not the same as providing OEM tested updates like apple or google do.
Trump was not president when this all started, I am not sure where you get all this ...

As for the bugs in the custom ROMs - bother to mention some bugs? Because I have been using custom ROM since Galaxy S1 (which still runs BTW as my backup phone) and never had problems and was recently amazed that people actually see ads on their phones today... Also if you dig trough the ENOURMOUS community of custom ROM users you will see that no one is complaining about bugs. So again I am not sure where you get all this ...

Really? Explain why Samsung recalled and eventually discontinued the Note again?
Because it had some problems with the battery indeed, but again no battery have ever "exploded" or caused houses to be leveled like all the many well paid posters tried to suggest.

Because it had some problems with the battery indeed, but again no battery have ever "exploded" or caused houses to be leveled like all the many well paid posters tried to suggest.
"had some problems"??

Wow... I think you may win for understatement of the year :)

As for "well paid posters"... WHO?!?!? ME?!?!? Wish I could get some cash for posting about Samsung's "problems" - I'll take any money Apple wants to pay me (or any other company).

Pretty sure no one claimed Samsung batteries leveled any houses.... they DID catch fire and seriously injure some people - not to mention the "inconvenience" of having your smartphone spontaneously combust turned a bunch of people away from Samsung :)

Guess those are the well paid posters?

Have you Heard the Rooting Samsung phones is making them slower? Of course you haven't because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Wow. I guess all these monthly updates I've been receiving every month on my Samsung S7 (which is coming up on 2 years) aren't updates then?

Plus, when I got the phone, it was on Marshmallow and it's currently running Nougat on stock ROM. Yeah, no updates for me. ;)

Last edited:
Have you Heard the Rooting Samsung phones is making them slower? Of course you haven't because you have no idea what you are talking about.
And where exactly have you "heard" that because I have been using ROMs since Galaxy S1 and only noticed faster phones as well as the enormous XDA community of millions of people that use ROMs and no one have heard such thing so far and everyone sees the faster phones with less bloat??? Someone is definitely not knowing what are we talking about and this is not me LOL

Back