LG's new TV lists mosquito repellent as one of its key features

Shawn Knight

Staff member

South Korean electronics giant LG is now selling a television that lists mosquito repellent as one of its features. If you’re scratching your head as I initially was, keep reading as it actually makes a lot of sense given the context.

The set in question, model 32LH520D, features what LG calls Mosquito Away Technology – ultrasonic sound waves that drive away pesky mosquitos capable of spreading diseases such as malaria, dengue and the Zika virus. The feature has reportedly been certified as effective by an independent laboratory, the company says.

The sound waves are inaudible to humans and LG says the feature even works when the set isn’t powered on.

LG says the TV is designed and made in India and targeted at lower-income consumers in the region that may live in or near conditions that make them vulnerable to mosquitos. It’s being offered in two models with pricing set at 26,500 rupees and 47,500 rupees ($394 and $706).

LG has used the technology in other consumer appliances as well including air conditioners and washing machines.

Reuters says the sets will go on sale next month in Sri Lanka and the Philippines. Unfortunately, there aren’t yet any plans to sell it in other markets. That’s a shame really because, if effective, I could see this being a great option for use outdoors like when tailgating or in a covered patio / garage, especially in the south where mosquitos are a huge problem during warmer months.

Permalink to story.

Or why not an independent device? Or does someone sell those already? I haven't looked yet. But yea, why be stuck getting a TV just for the repellent.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work, MANY tests were done years ago on devices that work in the frequencies of 20-70 kHz and found they did nothing. LG says this tech works in the 30+ kHz range which is well within the range tested and found to not work. They demoed (and tested) this in an AC and said it was working because most of the mosquitoes were "inactivated" (their word BTW). I can't find full test results for what they did but their website states how they tested it but not the individual results just that 62.7% left the "inside" chamber over 24 hours. Then again 2 of the tests were with the AC fan on and that alone should have an effect on moving mosquitoes away. The site also has conflicting information so yeah, I'll believe this when a non-LG paid group tests it.

Yeah, they've made such devices for at least 20yrs. They never seemed to do anything. Well, other than throw out enough interference that I had to unplug many of them to improve antenna reception. They have something now called a "cell" something that keeps mosquitoes away. I hear it works, but I haven't tried it.

And no one here even thinks that an ultrasonic broadcast from a television with it's own microphones and connections to the internet would be used for anything but mosquito repellent?

This looks like either, a failed gesture control system that they don't want to be declared a failure yet, or a rudimentary 'through-the-walls' listening device (ultrasonic being able to detect wall movement enough to 'hear' what is going on in the next room).

Aside from my aluminum foil meanderings, ultrasonic is only part of the mosquito irritation process. Mosquitoes are affected by and attracted to light and smell. If it were me, I would be checking to see if an added frame or two in background broadcasts along with the ultrasonic could upset balance and flying in the mosquito enough to trigger avoidance behaviors. Smells like Grant money to me.

oh! and if you want to go really far out in prepping, there's an article in Smithsonian about using CRISPR to eliminate entire mosquito species.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/kill-all-mosquitos-180959069/?no-ist
There are very significant ethical considerations there. But what if, you could simply add a specific light or sound frequency avoidance as an interim measure. Mosquitoes, away from humans would not be affected. Fits right in with the allowable change, at least until humans overrun the last water source.

This should be effective...

1459450313_917745_1459450605_noticia_normal.jpg

Although they might jump on the watchers instead now...
animals-bugs-pest-pests-last_respects-swatting-mban1597_low.jpg

Back