Linus Torvalds suggests disabling AMD's "stupid" fTPM to solve a persistent stuttering...

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? The creator and lead developer of the Linux kernel, Linus Torvalds, has expressed his frustration with AMD's Firmware Trusted Platform Module 'fTPM.' In a recent mailing list for the open-source kernel, Torvalds described the fTPM as 'crud' and suggested that the best thing to do would be to disable it for hardware random number generation. He also urged fellow Linux developers to use the CPU RDRAND instruction for the same task(s) because it doesn't cause the same issues as fTPM.

In a characteristically outspoken manner, Torvalds told his colleagues to "disable the stupid fTPM HWRND thing" since the fixes that have been rolled out have largely been ineffective. As for switching to RDRAND, Torvalds observed that it can be relatively slower than fTPM, but said he'd still prefer it because it will at least be stutter-free.

Torvald's outburst comes months after reports emerged that the fTPM random number generator has an annoying bug that affects both Windows and Linux users. While the issues with Windows systems were reported as early as last year, the problems with Linux emerged back in February. The kernel patch that followed apparently did not fully fix the buggy firmware, resulting in the problems persisting for some users.

The main problem is a stuttering issue that seems to affect PCs powered by a range of Ryzen processors. It was thought to have been addressed earlier this year with the introduction of a workaround baked into Linux 6.3-rc2, and the fix was also backported to earlier kernels. However, some of the problems have persisted, with users still reporting stuttering issues on recent Ryzen systems.

The latest trigger for Torvalds, however, seems to have been a new bug report that suggests the problem affects AMD's Rembrandt CPUs, even when running the latest firmware. Some users have also since contacted Asus for a BIOS update to disable the fTPM, just so they can get rid of the annoying stuttering. Many are also questioning whether it was a good idea to enable the feature globally for everyone in the first place without a kernel parameter to disable it just in case of situations like this.

It's not immediately clear what AMD is doing to address the issue, but we'd hope that Torvalds' direct involvement would serve as a catalyst for the company to take this bug seriously and address it as soon as possible.

Permalink to story.

Amd still has this issue? I first encountered it when that game riders republic came out and the game would just randomly bug out, I thought it was the games problem being day1 and all but a google/reddit tour let me know this exact problem has been around for awhile.

I no longer have that 5600x rig but it sucks too know alot of people are still dealing with this.

Amd still has this issue? I first encountered it when that game riders republic came out and the game would just randomly bug out, I thought it was the games problem being day1 and all but a google/reddit tour let me know this exact problem has been around for awhile.

I no longer have that 5600x rig but it sucks too know alot of people are still dealing with this.
It's AMD, an issue will persist until there is sufficient media attention drawn to the issue.

Watch, now that Techspot is releasing this article, and other will as well; bet AMD will acknowledge the fTPM bug and fix it within a month.

It's AMD, an issue will persist until there is sufficient media attention drawn to the issue.

Watch, now that Techspot is releasing this article, and other will as well; bet AMD will acknowledge the fTPM bug and fix it within a month.
Well, at least it will be fixed. AMD is not the only one that plays this game.

I turned it of on my B550 board to keep MS from nagging🤬 me about windows 11, I will go to windows 11 when support for 10 ends!!

At this very moment im writing these words, kernel linux haves 137 vulnerabilities and windows 11 haves 129. I think its better torvalds start watching his actions. Windows is winning.

Does this issue effect Ryzen 7000-series CPUs?
If it does, I definitely haven't come across it yet. I'm running Windows 11, X670E board with a 7950X3D. Had absolutely no stuttering and that's on a pretty wide range of games as well, BattleBit: Remastered, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Heroes of the Storm, CyberPunk 2077, Valheim, Battlefield 2042, Portal Prelude RTX, Star Dew Valley, Splitgate, New World, Sims 2, Star Citizen... The list goes on...

If it does, I definitely haven't come across it yet. I'm running Windows 11, X670E board with a 7950X3D. Had absolutely no stuttering and that's on a pretty wide range of games as well, BattleBit: Remastered, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Heroes of the Storm, CyberPunk 2077, Valheim, Battlefield 2042, Portal Prelude RTX, Star Dew Valley, Splitgate, New World, Sims 2, Star Citizen... The list goes on...

+1 to this. Windows 11, X670E and 7950X3D here also with no stuttering issues.

Perhaps this is one of those "happens on certain hardware/software/setting configurations" -type of thing and therefore is very hard to fix.

Good, because I'm running a 7700X on a B650 board.

I'd like to know what exactly LT is doing with his machine to be encountering this issue I'm running an 5800X on X570 and havven't had a single problem with what he's talking about I use a mix of old and new games along with audio/video encoding software aswell as benchmarking software and never have I seen this so called fTPM problem

I have a threadripper 3970x and it happens for the last 3 years. I have a post on the AMD site but there is no workaround . Really annoying. I am sure they will fix the most common systems before threadripper.

As far as I'm concerned, all TPMs are crud. They seem to do little more than cause problems and force unnecessarily hardware overhauls. TPMs do not increase security as much as their vendors claim... I'm pretty sure most TPMs can be EASILY hacked...

Well, the other part (Intel) has tons of issues, they release microcode that slows down the chips to (partially) mitigate those bugs, etc and only after 3/4 generations are some issues solved.

The thing is, architecture bugs (some on purpose to accelerate processing and they hope no-one finds out...) are hard to solve with the software and economically won't be solved sooner than a still in the making architecture. All others that are already or soon ready to print out, won't be delayed to fix those bugs...

As always, the consumer will buy anyway...

At this very moment im writing these words, kernel linux haves 137 vulnerabilities and windows 11 haves 129. I think its better torvalds start watching his actions. Windows is winning.

My Windows 10 machine becomes almost unusable every time Microsoft starts pushing out an update. In contrast, Debian 11 still runs well. There seems to be something seriously wrong with versions of MS Windows after Win 10 Build 1809. Honestly, I would dare say that pretty much everything after Windows XP - 64 Bit was "unnecessary" and most changes after Win 8.0 were "bloated fluff". About the only super cool thing that happened to "modern windows" is Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2).

I turned it of on my B550 board to keep MS from nagging🤬 me about windows 11, I will go to windows 11 when support for 10 ends!!
Yet Win11 support ends next year while Win10 is in 2025, when Win12 is supposed to be released. Good to completely avoid WinMe Again as it was too big of a change from 98SE.

Too late... I always disable AMD 'fTPM' lmao
Yep, and I disabled it as I don't want Win11 being forced down my throat. In fact, I'm getting ready to dump windows in favor of a properly Engineered OS called FreeBSD since it supports all of the features I actually use with the software I need - Thank You Steam for the Proton Deck software.

Yet Win11 support ends next year while Win10 is in 2025, when Win12 is supposed to be released.
That's wrong.

21H2 support ends October 10, 2023.
22H2 support ends October 8, 2024.
23H2 support tentatively ends October, 2025 since it's not yet released.

And these are Home/Pro versions. Enterprise versions are supported for an extra year on top of that.
Even assuming 23H2 will be the last Windows11 release (it wont because Win12 is nowhere near ready) then the earliest all Win11 support would end is 2027. Likely Win11 latest version will be supported until 2030 and beyond.

My Windows 10 machine becomes almost unusable every time Microsoft starts pushing out an update. In contrast, Debian 11 still runs well. There seems to be something seriously wrong with versions of MS Windows after Win 10 Build 1809. Honestly, I would dare say that pretty much everything after Windows XP - 64 Bit was "unnecessary" and most changes after Win 8.0 were "bloated fluff". About the only super cool thing that happened to "modern windows" is Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2).
Debian is considered nowadays one of the most vulnerable distros out there! Forget about the past or the fame that tells us its a stable or solid distro. its a cheese piece filled with holes!

Back