Linux vs. Windows Benchmark: Threadripper 2990WX vs. Core i9-7980XE Tested

Wrapping this one up we have to say, the few days we spent messing around with Linux were interesting, but ultimately made us more appreciative of Windows 10's desktop OS experience.

No **** you feel more comfortable in the desktop environment you used over 2 decades than the one you used less than a week.

I mean how can you think that forced OS upgrades that just close all your applications with unsaved data in it is a better user experience? Obviously because you're used to this ****ery of windows and you know how to handle it, but if it was brand new to you you would instantly recognize how insane that concept is. I intentionally keep my windows stock for work so I have a legitimate reason to complain to my employer about losing work progress because windows randomly decided it had to close all my applications to do updates.

Wrapping this one up we have to say, the few days we spent messing around with Linux were interesting, but ultimately made us more appreciative of Windows 10's desktop OS experience.

No **** you feel more comfortable in the desktop environment you used over 2 decades than the one you used less than a week.

I mean how can you think that forced OS upgrades that just close all your applications with unsaved data in it is a better user experience? Obviously because you're used to this ****ery of windows and you know how to handle it, but if it was brand new to you you would instantly recognize how insane that concept is. I intentionally keep my windows stock for work so I have a legitimate reason to complain to my employer about losing work progress because windows randomly decided it had to close all my applications to do updates.

You act like that's a daily occurrence. It's something you realistically encounter once every few months at the most and it takes seconds to restart a PC, you can also schedule them to take place once you’re done with work. Very very strange one that.

I don't get your conclusion that it made you more appreiative of Windows. Is it because Windows gives you more time to drink your coffee while you are waiting for your job to complete? In almost every example you gave Linux kicked the snot out of Windows on both processors. It's not surprising that Linux is so much better on massively parallel programs, every supercomputer runs on Linux so there have been decades of optimizations done on Linux that havent been done on Windows which is primarily a desktop OS.

You act like that's a daily occurrence. It's something you realistically encounter once every few months at the most and it takes seconds to restart a PC, you can also schedule them to take place once you’re done with work. Very very strange one that.

What exactly made me sound like it's a daily occurrence? It's a ~bimonthly occurrence.

I am not annoyed by having to restart my computer, I am annoyed that the DEFAULT setting in windows 10 is to randomly FORCEFULLY restart the computer without my consent.

Indeed I can adjust the behavior, I even specifically mentioned that I know how to change it but leave it at stock settings so I get to point out how bad the system is to my employer. I brought this up as an example to show if you wouldn't have >20 years of experience with windows ****ery you would be annoyed by such things just like you are annoyed by the Ubuntu (which desktop did you use? Gnome?) quirks now as you don't have the 20+ years of experience to quickly work around it.

Windows doesn't acknowledge other working patterns. I don't work "9 to 5" I work 3 days a week on that machine with 24h uptime as I am running a soft phone on there for customer emergency. But windows update requires at least 6h downtime a day.

As I said, it's easy to praise a system you have learned to work with for 20 years against one you haven't even worked with a single week.

What exactly made me sound like it's a daily occurrence? It's a ~bimonthly occurrence.
If you have no choice but to use Windows, there are plenty of posts that can be found using your favorite search engine to disable updates - assuming you have administrative access to your PC. There are a significant number of users out there that have exactly the same problem.

You may have to play a bit, as I have done, to figure out which services need to be disabled, but it can be done.

pfuettli said:
I am not annoyed by having to restart my computer, I am annoyed that the DEFAULT setting in windows 10 is to randomly FORCEFULLY restart the computer without my consent.

It's a ~bimonthly occurrence... Indeed I can adjust the behavior, I even specifically mentioned that I know how to change it but leave it at stock settings so I get to point out how bad the system is to my employer.

Do you use your Linux box with all of it's settings still set to stock? No, I doubt that you do. Just like I doubt you still drive your car with your seat still in the position it was in when it left the factory. If you are willing to make adjustments to how Linux works so it runs the way you like, but not Windows, then you shouldn't be running around bitching about how awful Windows is. Otherwise, you just sound like an assclown.

Last edited:
Both operating systems were tested in their out-of-the-box configuration, so no optimizations were made.
Ouch -- that puts Windows at an immediate disadvantage in that Windows typically self-configures to run almost every known service to mankind, while Linux distributions run minimal services and frequently perform a QnA on some features, like Which Desktop do you prefer ...

There's no mention of the DISK installed (HD vs SSD) nor of the pagefile configuration (yes it really matters). Also, there's no benchmark for IO support;
  • sequential read vs write
  • random read vs write
Don't be so naive to think that the results are totally hardware related -- they're not -- the filesystem matter greatly.

Linux religion adherent triggered! The author expressed its own experience and since Linux Desktop Experience is really pain in the ***, I cant complain.

Cool comparison, but it personally does me absolutely no good. How about for the majority of the population which still uses Win7? I have no plans in the future to ever use Win10, nor any of my friends/family on supporting Win10.

It's obvious that testing a new multicore processor on Windows is a really bad idea. Linux on the other hand looks better in dealing with new processors.

Also I have to object in the closing lines. I haven't used linux for years, but if the option was to use windows and be 20-50% slower, I would start using Linux right away. It would have been irrelevant if I prefer windows over linux.

If you have no choice but to use Windows, there are plenty of posts that can be found using your favorite search engine to disable updates - assuming you have administrative access to your PC. There are a significant number of users out there that have exactly the same problem.

You may have to play a bit, as I have done, to figure out which services need to be disabled, but it can be done.

I had the same thoughts. Tweak em both and see what happens. And what disto was used? Was it command line? desktop? full blown simple linux?

This is like comparing an automatic vs manual transmission car, without stating the engine size, torque, gear ratios, etc. ..Do you want an OS to do things for you? or do you want to do it yourself?

Last edited:

Did you not read what I wrote? I do know how to fix the issue, I deliberately won't fix the issue so I can complain about it to my employer in order to make her aware how much windows sucks. Why should I invest time into making a system work I don't want to work with?

This was merely an example to show that if you don't have a windows bias already the windows desktop experience sucks at least just as much.

Do you use your Linux box with all of it's settings still set to stock? No, I doubt that you do. Just like I doubt you still drive your car with your seat still in the position it was in when it left the factory. If you are willing to make adjustments to how Linux works so it runs the way you like, but not Windows, then you shouldn't be running around bitching about how awful Windows is. Otherwise, you just sound like an assclown.

Did you read what I wrote? Apparently not. My post wasn't to **** on windows and praise Linux. It was merely an example to show how his experience is better simply because he has 20+ years of knowledge of one system so the issues are quick and easy to fix for him because he is used to them.

Besides, I actually do run the Linux box I'm writing this on with stock settings lol. Wait no, that's not true I changed the default search engine in Firefox.

Linux religion adherent triggered! The author expressed its own experience and since Linux Desktop Experience is really pain in the ***, I cant complain.

And the third one completely misunderstanding. But I know, I know people looove to run with assumptions.
The point is that you think the Linux Desktop Experience is a pain in the *** because you have no experience with it so you can't solve issues easily. But you hve a ****load of windows desktop experience so solving issues is easy for you and that's where you're biased.
So to me this sounds like a windows fanboi being butthurt when the windows bias is pointed out, lol.

Did you not read what I wrote? I do know how to fix the issue, I deliberately won't fix the issue so I can complain about it to my employer in order to make her aware how much windows sucks. Why should I invest time into making a system work I don't want to work with?
I read what you wrote. Your manager is highly unlikely, or worse, does not give a you know what about what you want on your desktop. If you know how to fix it, fix it and stop your b!tching.

Otherwise, stop being passive aggressive and directly ask your manager for what you want. Then be prepared to either stick with what you don't want, or find another job. But your manager just might surprise you if you ask.

pfuettli said:
Did you read what I wrote? Apparently not
Yes, I did. You wrote this:
I mean how can you think that forced OS upgrades that just close all your applications with unsaved data in it is a better user experience?

And immediately after that, this:
Indeed I can adjust the behavior, I even specifically mentioned that I know how to change it.

So you admit that you can change the automatic update settings, (and in fact know how to do so) yet refuse to. You are by definition consenting to Windows choosing the date and time to apply those updates. The restarting is in fact NOT forced; you are allowing it.

I wish your boss could read this. You know how to change the update settings to your liking, yet refuse to, just so you can complain to him about how the update settings are not to your liking. I'm sure he'd love that.

If you don't like Windows, that's fine. If I were you though, I'd find a better hill to die on than your supposed "forced restarts."

2990WX crushes the bones out of 7980XE and it's $80 cheaper.... Comparison is unfair.
Does Intel have anything more powerful than the 7980XE ?

I like how everyone is flaming this guy for keeping his windows settings to default and he lets his employer know how shitty it is lol. his point is the fact that microsoft sets it that way by default is in his eyes......wrong, and I agree. firstly, the UI of windows 10 has "drastically" changed from 7. yes I know some people ran 8.1 or just plain 8 and the newer ui of 10 may be familiar but still. someone coming from 7 will be annoyed by the new ui and may not know where to go to set these new windows update settings in their new windows 10 version of the control panel. the fact that you have to dig to find the REAL control panel now is funny. how many older folks fell for that free windows 10 upgrade notification and had this windows update thing happen to them? probably a good amount. same with any other generation. windows 10 has so many DEFAULT settings that are both dangerous and an invasion of privacy that its not even funny. running an Enterprise LTSB version of 10 will remove cortana and some more **** but you still have to tweak a bunch of things and in doing so you'll actually break the functionality and stabilty of the operating system in order to not be tracked/have settings the way YOU want them.

windows 10 is a pile of trash. I ran it for a year and went back to 7 a couple weeks ago until linux gets a better hand on the gaming industry. oh yea.....why and who decided to enable smoothscrolling throughout the entire windows 10 OS? I like my scrolling to respond instantly instead of having those millisecond delays that they say humans can't notice.......I can bro......and I can feel the difference between 60 fps and 144 fps with my hands......I must be an alien.

p.s has anyone gotten Dead By Daylight to run on linux? thats my main game and if anyone has LMK and I'll swipe right now lol

p.s has anyone gotten Dead By Daylight to run on linux? thats my main game and if anyone has LMK and I'll swipe right now lol
GAMING ON LINUX - - now that IS ROTFL. That system was NEVER intended to be an end-user desktop in the first place --- ROTFL again and again

I like how everyone is flaming this guy for keeping his windows settings to default and he lets his employer know how shitty it is lol.
No, I think what most people are tired of is that there is a [very] vocal minority of Linux users that seem to have this attitude that anyone that prefers the Windows environment is an *****, and for some reason, these people also feel the need to manufacture reasons that Linux is superior. Both pfuettli's comment and yours use misinformation and strawman arguments to make your points. If Linux is so much better, why don't you use examples that are actually true, instead of made-up ones.

For instance, you said:
Firstly, the UI of windows 10 has "drastically" changed from 7. yes I know some people ran 8.1 or just plain 8 and the newer ui of 10 may be familiar but still. someone coming from 7 will be annoyed by the new ui and may not know where to go to set these new windows update settings in their new windows 10 version of the control panel. the fact that you have to dig to find the REAL control panel now is funny.

In reality, getting to the control panel consists of simply pressing the Start button, and beginning to type the word "Control." By the time I got to the letter "N" all I had to do was click on "Control Panel." If you were counting, that was 4 keystrokes.
cyH9SOk.png

That's hardly "digging," and (if I remember correctly) it's actually the exact same process as in windows 7.

Listen, I understand you guys like Linux, and that's great. Here's the thing though: NO ONE CARES. At all. Why do you feel the need to spout off misinformation about other OSs? I have tried several Linux distros over the course of about 20 years, and I always wound up going back to Windows. Is it because that's what I'm used to? Yeah, that probably has a lot to do with it, among a laundry list of other reasons. But never once during the past two decades have I felt the need to go online and talk trash about Linux because I prefer Windows.

windows 10 is a pile of trash. I ran it for a year and went back to 7 a couple weeks ago until linux gets a better hand on the gaming
You must be pretty young. People have been saying that gaming on Linux is "just around the corner" for literally DECADES. Maybe it'll happen in your lifetime, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

If you want a pretty concise list of reasons why people tend to prefer Windows and OSX, here is a link for you.

Sadly, those reasons were true 20 years ago too, and I don't see them changing any time soon.

Last edited:
I read what you wrote. Your manager is highly unlikely, or worse, does not give a you know what about what you want on your desktop. If you know how to fix it, fix it and stop your b!tching.

Otherwise, stop being passive aggressive and directly ask your manager for what you want. Then be prepared to either stick with what you don't want, or find another job. But your manager just might surprise you if you ask.

Why do you care so much about my work environment? Is it to distract form my point that you feel more comfortable in the environment you've operated in for 20+ years? I guess that must be it because clearly you don't have a good argument against that so you focus on my work lol.

You have absolutely no clue where I work or what my boss is like or how I complaint to her about windows updates but that never stopped people like you to dish out the advice. Thank you very much you are so wise, damn what would I do without your advice, I really don't know. Now go ahead and tell me how to run Skype for Business on a Linux/BSD OS, I mean you seem to know a lot and very eager to educate me. Can't wait xoxoxo

Windows 10 is a fairly heavy OS. All of the graphical features are nice, however I find Linux more reliable and in many ways more intuitive for the power user. I manage several Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04 servers, CentOS servers, as well as a variety of Windows servers and desktops.

In Windows 10, I find myself searching for basics like the control panel and command prompt frequently. In the end, I usually just pin all of these "essentials" to the start menu. Nothing is worse than Windows Server 2012 R2 though. The metro interface was at least justifiable in Windows 8 but how did MS imagine server admins using a touchscreen?

I have had a few Windows 10 machines become corrupted due to various forced updates. I typically just restore from a backup and find a workaround or perform a Windows system restore. More seriously, some "critical" Windows Server updates have failed in the recent past, costing serious loss of money and time. I've never experienced this type of corruption in Linux.

Ubuntu's command line experience is much better than Windows. Linux shell commands are simple and intuitive. Ubuntu server also ships with the incredible vi modal editor. Windows Powershell is a pain to use IMHO. It seems I am often fighting permissions battles.

Linux definitely carries a steeper learning curve, however I believe it's worth it for the power user. The only exception obviously is that many applications only run in Windows.

Back