Lost CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

genekle

My CD/DVD drive showed up and was able to use it. Then all of a sudden it disappeared. Done a system restore and it showed up. Then I put in a CD and it disappeared, tgried another system restore but it did no good. How can I get it back and useable. Thanks in advance.

Look for the CD/DVD in Device Manager. Can you still find it listed in Device Manager?

If not, then Windows can't detect it probably meaning bad cable, connection or the drive itself has failed.

If yes, then you might have a problem with "filters". See [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

/* edit */
Tho... even if not found in device manager, is still worth giving trying to fix filters a shot

If this is on your laptop, then you might also try unlatching it, sliding it out, then firmly push it back in just to assure it's making good contact.. Otherwise, it sounds like it;s gone bad :dead: (unless someone else might have any other suggestion to try)

yes it is on my laptop, but I do not know how to open the case to try what you suggested. Thank You !!

Update:Got laptop open and pulled out cd drive and put back in. Still did not show up, so drive must be gone. Have a new one on oder. Thanks for the help.

put new cd/dvd drive in and the laptop still does not find it. done all the other stuff that was suggested and still will not locate it. On startup it flashes green(which I assume means its trying to read it. ) So what can I do now ?

Try resetting BIOS as tmagic suggests.. if still fails could you test and clarify:
> Insert a bootable CD into the drive
> Power up the computer and see if it recognizes CD on boot up (even if it fails under Windows)

do not know what happened or how but new cd/dvd drive just showed up. :grinthumb :grinthumb yahooooooo!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back