Lost Photos, not deleted just disapeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my mum and dad came home from there week away in gran canaria, they put the pictures onto the computer and i moved them all into a single folder as they were in lots of folders with individual dates on. We briefly looked through them all and then turned the computer off as we were going out.

6 hours later, we went back onto the computer to show family the photos... They had gone :suspiciou . they were not in the recycle bin, other photo folders, or in any other file that is on the computer.
I have spent a long time searching through google for data recovery applications, i have run Five different applications, i have found all the other stuff i deleted that day but there seems to be no other recollection of the photos put on earlier on yesterday.

I have No Idea what to do, i'm blaming myself i feel so bad.
Please Help if anyone knows how i can resolve this

they put the pictures onto the computer and i moved them all into a single folder

Are you sure that you weren't actually looking at and moving the shortcuts to these pictures? ie are they still on the camera (or have you deleted them)

I believe they may have never been actually on the computer, and that's why you can't find them.

But just in case, you have done a search for, all files and folders (extended) include hidden/system folders ?

No they were definatly scanned onto the My Pictures Folder, our camera scans them and puts them in individually dated folders, i just highlighted them all and moved them into the one folder, unfortunatly they get deleted off the camera when scanned :(

We looked through the folder afterwards and they were all there.
i've scanned my entire hard disk, temp files, internet files, deleted files, i'm currently scanning the cameras memory card, i've looked through hidden and zipped folders and files and can't find anything.

like i said i found all the deleted history from the time i put the pictures on, they aren't there so i can't of accidently deleted them, and i usually check the recycling bin to make sure i haven't deleted anything important.

:(

When you move large volumes of data, it can sometimes (read later on) rip through the harddrive and actually wipe the data. In worse case scenarios, it is possible to wipe an entire disk clean.

This can happen in a couple of ways. One virus activity (not actually going into here)
And the other due to faulty disk (Hard Drive Disk that is)
Lets say that when you moved the large data to another spot on the disk, that spot was actually poor (or bad) Basically a faulty sector (although not marked) on the drive. Which basically just wipes the data off. (I have seen this happen, and therefore always Copy and Paste, then Delete.

If this is true then you may have an option to still recover the photos where they were originally (in individual folders) using a program like Zar which can recover lost photos. Here's the exact DOWNLOAD for it.

But it is advised to actually run any recovery program from another disk (which may already be too late (ie you have now tried some already)

My point about the hard drive issue, you may want to run a diagnostics on it, at some stage.

Thanks, i'm going to try the Zar now and run a diagnostic afterwards.
I guess thats a logical explanation, i'm definatly going to be more careful from now on..

Pictures have been found, we scanned the memory card of the camera and got 300 photos from 2 years ago up, which had been deleted! thanks for your help!

Charli-Berry said:
scanned onto the My Pictures Folder, our camera scans them and puts them in individually dated folders, i just highlighted them all and moved them into the one folder
I assume you viewed the photos in the My Picture Folder and when done,
did the MOVE to another folder. If you were viewing with a third party program, you have to quit
before the relocation can be performed.

How many were there and how quickly did you shutdown the computer?

Large volumes of data being COPIED or MOVED get performed in background
and may not complete for several seconds, depending upon how many I/O actions
are needed.

If you have the choice, wait until the HD access led stops flashing until you shutdown.

Your last hope is to click My Computer and right click the C:\ pull down to Search
and find *.jpg
When it returns, double click on the Date Modified
(you will have to narrow the columns; Name, In Folder, Size, Type, Date Modified)
the latest JPG files will be at the top of the search list

Edit: Replying to removed post and member (just a spammer)

$39 to buy

Not only that, I helped the user recover his photos for free!! (way back then)

There are many free programs that you can use to recover Photos/Data so forth

I'd say purchasing software for that one job, would be the absolute last option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back