Lost sound

AtWitsEnd

Someone, anyone, please help me, I am starting to lose my mind. I came home from work Friday and turned on an anime episode to relax. Suddenly my computer froze completely and all I could do is turn the power off. When it restarted, windows 10 automatic updates which I refused to install up to that point, got installed automatically. When the system rebooted, I no longer had sound. Just a red X on the speaker icon, saying "No speakers or headphones are plugged in". Which is false, since I pretty much heard Midorya yell "DETROIT SMASH" in the episode. I rechecked, it was not unplugged. I checked the speakers (don't know the brand, just says "MS" on the front of the sub) by inserting them into my phone and sure enough they work.
I've searched everywhere. Seriously, aside from going to the dentist, I've spent 2 days trying to fix it. I've installed every possible driver known to man. From Realtek sound driver (which doesn't show in device manager) to freaking BIOS. I even reinstalled win 7 only to find out the problem persists. I reinstalled win 10 again because my motherboard installation CD, strangely has only win 10 drivers. My speaker setups says (UNKNOWN) and in playback devices there are 4 identical NVIDIA output (NVIDIA high definition audio -> Not plugged in) messages.
Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating... everything.
My motherboard is PRIME H310M-K, I'm sending the dxdiag file although it's nearly a fresh install of the operating system. Each time I install realtek drivers, they simply don't show in device manager as a device. I read that maybe the issue was it cannot find a device to attach itself to. But then is my hardware broken? Please, for the love of God, someone help me. Without this PC, I have no life to live.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    88.7 KB · Views: 4
DxDiag says, "Sound Tab 1: No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer."

But DxDiag apparently finds TWO. It says:

"Name: High Definition Audio Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A348&SUBSYS_86C71043&REV_10\3&11583659&0&FB
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\hdaudbus.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 86016 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\drmk.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 96768 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\portcls.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 379392 bytes

Name: High Definition Audio Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_10F1&SUBSYS_11D710DE&REV_A1\4&1479C31&0&0108
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\hdaudbus.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 86016 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\drmk.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 96768 bytes
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\portcls.sys, 10.00.16299.0015 (English), 9/29/2017 15:40:59, 379392 bytes"

My guess is that when the system does an update these days and it finds TWO essentially equal devices, it doesn't know which to use - so it dithers. This looks like a Microsoft problem to me. Anyone with a different take is asked to provide their insight as this is a very annoying problem for a lot of folks.

One solution which has worked for me has been to remove all audio output devices in Device Manager and to then reboot - thereby relying on Windows 10 auto-configuration to sort the mess out. In Device Manager, remember to use the 'VIEW' tab and display all hidden devices. Weed thoroughly - Audio Outputs, Sound Controllers and, finally, System Devices. Close down and restart your computer. Hopefully, the device discovery can then sort itself out.

@AtWitsEnd - I hope this works for you.

@Cycloid Torus I tried that, although I usually concentrated on deleting devices from either of the two (sound, game... and system devices. but never all at once).
I'm at a loss for words. After being utterly spirit-crushed for 3 days, thinking my new computer got it's hardware fried, I unplugged the power cord, pressed the power button to 0 and just left the PC, deeply contemplating my wasted life, and therefore the ending of it. I made pasta and as I usually eat in front of the PC with some good anime/tv show, I decided to turn it on, even if it's gonna be muted.
Upon reboot, I got the windows 10 "blue screen of frowny face", telling me that there's an error and they are gathering info and will restart for me. As I have seen this lie before (it never restarts), I waited until it was 100% and then just used the power button to turn it off (my case strangely doesn't have a restart button. My case is midi tower Black Widow). When it rebooted, I was shocked. The speaker icon had no X on it (the pains of the previous days had me concentrating on that small systray icon). I clicked the playback devices and sure enough, there were speakers and realtek device identified. The device manager now shows additional two devices aside from "high definition audio device", one is realtek hd audio and the other is "intel(R) display audio".
So for the past 3 days, I tried every solution anyone ever posted online, even the STUPID scams like easy driver program (I was that desperate), only for the problem to, apparently, fix itself.
Really, I am dumbfounded...
Thank you for your help. If this problem occurs again, and I pray to God it doesn't, I will try your method and I will let the good people here know if it's a fix.

Back