Mass Effect Legendary Edition gets May 14 launch date on PC and consoles

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: The Legendary Edition isn't simply a visual overhaul. BioWare also addressed complaints that users have fielded over the years, such as the obnoxiously long elevator rides in the first two games. It wasn't uncommon for these scenes, which were used in place of load screens, to take upwards of a full minute. That has been trimmed down significantly in the remaster, we're told.

Electronic Arts subsidiary BioWare on Tuesday announced that Mass Effect Legendary Edition will arrive on May 14, 2021.

A pair of early retailer launch dates posted last month suggested the game might drop on March 12, but we now know that won’t be the case. Whether the two retailers were using that date as a random placeholder or had some sort of insider knowledge from BioWare isn’t known. The latter scenario is plausible, and BioWare may have simply pushed back the launch date by a couple of months in order to give themselves more time to polish the game.

BioWare first announced the remastered version of the Mass Effect trilogy back in November as part of its “N7 Day” celebration.

The Legendary Edition will feature the base single-player content and more than 40 downloadable story, weapons and armor packs from all three games. Buyers will also enjoy enhanced visuals courtesy of remastered character models and “tens of thousands of up-ressed textures.” BioWare additionally worked on updating the lighting and improving dynamic shadows, volumetrics and pre-rendered cinematics “to make every story moment feel even more impactful.”

Interested parties can pre-order Mass Effect Legendary Edition on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC for $59.99. There will also be "forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5," we're told.

Permalink to story.

Can't wait to play these again.

Best game series I've ever played.

Sadly it probably isn't the Legendary Edition this game deserves. The First game epically has a lot of work that would need to be improved to bring it even close to ME 2-3 level of quality. One of the rare games that actually made me care about my fellow crew and choices I would take. Its been nearly 10 years since ME3 and nearly all games sense still feel stale and hollow compared to what bioware did back then. Sadly that team is no longer and it will probably be another decade or more before we see something like that again.

Can't wait to play these again.

Best game series I've ever played.
Yeah, up until the end.

The ending not being "fixed" is why I'm not excited for this one. Though I guess the Directors Cut being the official (only) ending helps a bit. I was hoping they'd do more (as bold as that would be)...

Agreed, this was Bioware at there best, I'll probably still pick this up as I'd love to play through them again with less issues.

I'm also concerned they'll be today's, Anthem and Andromeda quality remakes, which means they'll be even worse than the originals by some margin.

In-fact, I'll wait a week after launch before picking them up, just in-case the load screens haven gotten worse, loot boxes have been added everywhere or the animations are even worse than before.

Ii wasn't by BioWare, but the first kotor was the best rpg of all time

I'd say it was great; exceptional even, but DAO was right up there with it as far as 3rd Person Party RPGs along with ME, ME2,NWN 1&2. For me I wouldput TES III, IV and TW3 above all 3P party rpgs.

Speaking of Electronic Arts I would love to see a "Legendary Edition" of Dead Space games.
Something that was, you know, fun.

The first Dead Space was a masterpiece. I recall seeing some interview saying the dev team even had time to fix small bugs before shipping. **** EA for killing off Visceral along with the IP.

Back