May's Steam hardware survey shows slow but steady growth for RTX cards, GTX 1060 remains...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Steam's hardware and software survey for May has arrived. The biggest takeaway is that Nvidia RTX cards are increasing their market share, though at a slower rate than previous months, with total ownership jumping 0.31 percent across the four products.

Pascal-based cards remain the most popular by a wide margin. The GTX 1060, which is owned by 15.69 percent of survey participants, keeps its top spot, followed by the GTX 1050 Ti (9.54 percent) and the GTX 1050 (5.02 percent). Interestingly, the GTX 1070 saw the joint-highest gains last month, jumping 0.14 points to 4.50 percent—likely due to more of the cards appearing on second-hand sites as gamers look to upgrade.

The number of RTX card owners also increased, with the RTX 2060 once again enjoying the largest boost—0.14 percent. The cheapest in the RTX line first appeared on the survey in March with a 0.26 percent share. The 2060 now stands at 0.65 percent, but it isn’t the most popular RTX model; that honor goes to the RTX 2070, which jumped 0.10 points to a 0.91 percent share.

Other big gainers in May were the GTX 1660 Ti (0.12 percent) and AMD’s HD 8600 series (0.17 percent). As usual, Nvidia dominates the list, taking up the top eleven spots, with the highest AMD card being the Radeon RX 580.

It will be interesting to see how the survey results change over the next few months following the launch of AMD’s first Navi GPU, the Radeon RX 5700 series, in July. The cards feature high-speed GDDR6 memory and support for the PCIe 4.0 interface, and are rumored to provide RTX 2070-like performance at a lower price. Their arrival could explain the slower increase in RTX purchases.

Elsewhere, Windows 10 64-bit continues its climb at the top of the OS charts as Windows 7 falls. Not surprising, given that the latter’s end of extended support date is just six months away.

In other areas, 16GB is quickly closing in on 8GB as the most popular amount of system RAM, 1920 x 1080 remains the most common primary resolution by far, and the Oculus Rift is above the HTC Vive by just 0.05 percent in the VR category.

Permalink to story.

#1 It's nice to see Nvidia with a comfortable lead (total dominance) in online gaming hardware configurations. Thank you Steam.

#2 It's time to work on replacing the 1060 with the RTX 2060. Rays must be traced.

#3 Will Navi make a difference?

Maybe, if it's lucky, it can occupy the 10th or the 11th spot?

Bought one last year for a new gaming computer build and it's performing beautifully .....

Navi would have to be unbeatable price performance to make big gains, and Nvidia is unlikely to allow it. It has a very wide product stack at this point. The general rule that has stood for years is that unless AMD's offerings are significantly better, consumers buy Nvidia as a default

They just carpet bomb the market and cover every price point. Leaves very few gaps.

Even if Navi tuned out to be as fast as RTX2070 and it was somehow miraculously priced at $399, Nvidia would close the gap with price cuts or tweaked models within a few months.

They did it with GTX1070Ti for example, when Vega 56 looked like it hit a sweet spot between the 1070 and 1080. The Ti arrived and closed that window.

#1 It's nice to see Nvidia with a comfortable lead (total dominance) in online gaming hardware configurations. Thank you Steam.

#2 It's time to work on replacing the 1060 with the RTX 2060. Rays must be traced.

How is that a good thing? Years ago Nvidia's top end was about £500-700 now we're talking £1k+ and mainstream was always around the £150-200 mark now it's £250+ crazy amounts of inflation on cards.

How is that a good thing? Years ago Nvidia's top end was about £500-700 now we're talking £1k+ and mainstream was always around the £150-200 mark now it's £250+ crazy amounts of inflation on cards.

Its not inflation, its lack of competition

I dunno how AMD stays afloat with these types of numbers.

More people running 1070’s, 1070ti’s, 1080’s and 1080ti’s than AMD’s 580’s which are comparable and more affordable than the top spot 1060. Do they have any shot at all?

More people running 1070’s, 1070ti’s, 1080’s and 1080ti’s than AMD’s 580’s which are comparable and more affordable than the top spot 1060. Do they have any shot at all?

Mining took many of these cards out of gamers. 2 years ago when the crave for AMD cards began AMD did more money than Nvidia. RX 580 and 570 were the most popular cards for mining. Can't explain why these cards are not more popular now though. Since mining has collapsed with GPUs and we have many used and cheap GPUs on the market.

I have an easy explanation for that. GTX 1060 on steam also includes the mobile parts, and right now laptops sell more than desktops or desktop parts, that´s why you see gtx 1060, 1050ti and 1050 leading the charts. They include both Desktop GPUs and Laptop GPUs, as they are all called the same.

Also, I have said this several times but always ended up being hated on, but I will say it again. Some people think power consumption is not a big deal, I assure you it is, and I assure you there are A LOT of PC gamers on a budget that have low wattage power supplies. RX 580 uses almost double more power than a gtx 1060. Some PSUs don´t even have cables for some RX580 versions. This is a BIG factor.

But hey, I know someone will come and tell me that paying extra 20€ per year on electricity is not a big deal and that kwh costs X or Y in certain country and that no one cares about power consumption. I´m ready for that.

As for Navi, they need to have crazy good prices to even compete with Nvidia. Almost impossible.

I have an easy explanation for that. GTX 1060 on steam also includes the mobile parts, and right now laptops sell more than desktops or desktop parts, that´s why you see gtx 1060, 1050ti and 1050 leading the charts. They include both Desktop GPUs and Laptop GPUs, as they are all called the same.

Also, I have said this several times but always ended up being hated on, but I will say it again. Some people think power consumption is not a big deal, I assure you it is, and I assure you there are A LOT of PC gamers on a budget that have low wattage power supplies. RX 580 uses almost double more power than a gtx 1060. Some PSUs don´t even have cables for some RX580 versions. This is a BIG factor.

But hey, I know someone will come and tell me that paying extra 20€ per year on electricity is not a big deal and that kwh costs X or Y in certain country and that no one cares about power consumption. I´m ready for that.

As for Navi, they need to have crazy good prices to even compete with Nvidia. Almost impossible.
Bullshit... I live in a 3rd world country, expensive energy, and not 24/7, WE DON'T GIVE a S#it!.

Maybe some Vegans and flat earther focus on energy but not the "Average" people.

Bullshit... I live in a 3rd world country, expensive energy, and not 24/7, WE DON'T GIVE a S#it!.

Maybe some Vegans and flat earther focus on energy but not the "Average" people.

Lol I knew it! Now you need to ask people with pre builts or people with low budget 400w power supplies why they didn´t buy a RX580 instead of a GTX 1060.

Hardware unboxed did several tests that disprove the cost of electricity is a factor when buying a video card. If you are gaming on a laptop. To be blunt it is dumb. If you bought a 1060 over a 580 Again dumb. But Hey you be you.

Is Footlong the only person here who doesn't have the memory of a goldfish?

Mining. Mining killed AMD for gaming. Mining. Did you catch that? Mining. And some fools out there are still doing that with video cards, even.

When I built my 2 PCs ~one and two years ago, mining put the Radeon 570 and 580 completely out of the equation. The best price for decent performance out there were for a 1060 6GB and a 1050Ti at those times, so that's what I bought. Like LogiGaming said, people looking for gaming laptops probably did the same.

#1 and #2 on that list. Ya think that maybe, just maybe, a whole buttload of people were in the same situation as me at the same time and made the same decision? Hmmm, could be…

the GTX 1070 saw the joint-highest gains last month, jumping 0.14 points to 4.50 percent—likely due to more of the cards appearing on second-hand sites as gamers look to upgrade.

Second-hand sites appearance doesn't sound obvious or good explanation to me, Where had they been before? Gaming cards sold by gamers to gamers, right?

The chart shows steady growth of 1070 share from jan to mar, then it declined -0.15% in apr, and returned back to mar value again. Looks like 1070 owners somehow didn't run Steam in apr :)

But seriously, when we look at 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti share values, we may call it period of stagnation, and probably 1070 enters the same period. The only diff is higher market share, and stagnation tides are bigger either.

Following on, have a look at the Radeon 580 numbers. It's up a full 50% in numbers from Jan through May, and in greater raw numbers in the last month than any other card than the 1070 and 2060. People are buying and using it, and that's not even with the bump from any laptop sales. It is popular and people are gaming with it now.

The only thing I'm surprised about is the lack of the 570 on the list as it's simply the best deal out there. Clearly people don't mind paying $30 more for a faster product, even if it's a slightly worse deal.

Last edited:
Is Footlong the only person here who doesn't have the memory of a goldfish?

Mining. Mining killed AMD for gaming. Mining. Did you catch that? Mining. And some fools out there are still doing that with video cards, even.

When I built my 2 PCs ~one and two years ago, mining put the Radeon 570 and 580 completely out of the equation. The best price for decent performance out there were for a 1060 6GB and a 1050Ti at those times, so that's what I bought. Like LogiGaming said, people looking for gaming laptops probably did the same.

#1 and #2 on that list. Ya think that maybe, just maybe, a whole buttload of people were in the same situation as me at the same time and made the same decision? Hmmm, could be…

Good point, but where is the rebound? These cards have been dirt cheap since early fall

OK last post. In terms of raw numbers in the 4 months listed, the 1060 still enjoyed by far the most growth followed by the 2060, 2070, 1050Ti, and then the RX580. The 2060 and 2070 are in different price and performance classes, but brand loyalty or customer perception must play to the 1060 and 1050Ti's increased usage over the RX580 as it's faster than those two while being cheaper than the 1060 and more or less the same price on one of the many sales as the 1050Ti.

Back