Mercury Mail setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBorgInva

I have done some research on the net and in the manuals and I can not seem to get Mercury Mail to work right. My friend is trying to help but he is not always available. Let me please tell you what is setup.

- Own domain - me @ borg.us - via GoDaddy. I am sorry but this site will not let me do the domain without spaces.
- PC1 XP SP2 has Mercury Mail installed. Also runs web server via IIS.
- PC2 XP2 SP2 using Outlook to receive mail.
- Verizon DSL
- Router is set to allow ports 25, 110 for PC1.
_ Registered with DYNDNS server to synch IP with website when router resets.

MM is set up with MercuryS SMPT Server, MercuryP POP3 Server, MercuryE SMPT Client.
In the core module we put in - me @ borg.us - in the "internet name" field. He added it in the LOCAL DOMAINS tab.

He created a local user "TheTest" and "test" for the password.

In Outlook on PC2 I have created:
name : The Test
email : mail.borg.us
incoming and outgoing : mail.borg.us
user name takes email : mail.borg.us
password : test
MORE SETTINGS > Outgoing server is using same settings as incoming.

I do the "test account settings" in Outlook and it fails and it keeps asking me for the password for mail.borg.us. I keep putting in "test" and click SAVE but he keeps popping up. I cancel out outgoing fails, login fails, and of course sending test email fails.
Errors say:
- Send test email fails. The specified server was found but no response.
- Log onto incoming mail server (POP3). Server did not accept user name and password.
- Find outgoing mail server (SMPT). Could not connect.

My goal is to create up to 10 email accounts that I manage for my home PCs (3 total). Right now trying to receive 1 using PC2.

Now I do not understand SMPT stuff or mail servers. This is my first because I am tried of spending money on 2 companies I go through for email (AOL, Verizon). I want to rid AOL and when I move next year, I will loose Verizon email. So I might as well do my own, you know?

After the test finally works, I will want to know how to create other email accounts (ex - lady@borg.us, man@borg.us).

P.S. Again, I am not very well verse in mail servers. This is my first.

Thank you for any help.

God bless.

borg.us was the example.

I do not know why I can not put the address in normally in this tread. I must have missed reading something in the terms. So I had to use spaces again above, but you get it. The error I get is:
"Your Post contains one or more U R L s, please remove them before submitting your message again."

Anyway......

I have downed their latest release of v4 and will check again for updates. I did write to them and waiting for a response.

One of my problems is that Outlook will see the incoming and outgoing servers on - mail.borg.us - , but it will not log into it.

I have no experience with Mercury (I did use Pegasus until recently, when I switched to Mozilla T'bird), but this does not look right to me
In Outlook on PC2 I have created:
name : The Test
email : mail.borg.us
incoming and outgoing : mail.borg.us
user name takes email : mail.borg.us
Should the bold email name not be: me@borg.us?

Any newcomer to this forum cannot use URLs until after their third post (to stop spammers). You'll be fine from now on.

Let me give that suggesstion a try with the @ instead of . in the email name. That is just what he told me to do. Let me try alter and I let you know.

2/15 1140a The account created in Mercury is TheTest so therefore I changed the email in Outlook to thetest@borg.us (remember, borg.us is the example) and I made sure the login for Outlook is TheTest, password is "test" which is set up in Mercury. Still, it does not log into Mercury. It still sees in the incoming and outgoing mail servers as mail.borg.us.

MM is set up with MercuryS SMPT Server, MercuryP POP3 Server, MercuryE SMPT Client.
In the core module we put in - me @ borg.us - in the "internet name" field. He added it in the LOCAL DOMAINS tab.
Question again, should not the "internet name" be: www.borg.us?
It looks like you got all your names mixed up.
website: www.borg.us located at godaddy's. Should that not be: located at your own PC1?
If at Godaddy's, go to the control-panel and activate the email-address there.
If at PC1, we're trying to solve it... the email account me must be created/activated!
email-address: me@borg.us
name of email-recipient: TheTest
receive email (POP3): mail.borg.us --> equal to pop3.borg.us? TCP/IP 110
send email (SMTP): mail.borg.us --> equal to smtp.borg.us? TCP/IP 25
Are these the right assumptions/settings?

"Question again, should not the "internet name" be: www.borg.us?"
I changed it to be that.

It looks like you got all your names mixed up.
"No kidding." When it asks for things like domain name, I do not know to put in borg.us or www.borg.us of even with http. Then it asks for Safe Server name. What?? The HELP does not HELP me. Too technical.

website: www.borg.us located at godaddy's. Should that not be: located at your own PC1?
I hope so. We have it set up where people can type it in and go to my website which is being hosted from that PC and the domain to that site from DYNDNS and using their deenees(?) to synch the IP. I am not even sure if that still works, the redirection. Cna not test form within my own network at home. Hmmm.

If at Godaddy's, go to the control-panel and activate the email-address there.
They want me to pay to use their email addresses. That is what I am trying to avoid.

If at PC1, we're trying to solve it... the email account me must be created/activated!
It is, account created "thetest."

email-address: me@borg.us
Well, thetest@borg.us

name of email-recipient: TheTest
Yep.

receive email (POP3): mail.borg.us --> equal to pop3.borg.us? TCP/IP 110
send email (SMTP): mail.borg.us --> equal to smtp.borg.us? TCP/IP 25
No idea. Tried mail.borg.us, incoming/outgoing.borg.us, pop3.borg.us, pop.borg.us, and other combos. No diea what it should be.
Verizon's, for example, is incoming/outgoing.verizon.net. Gmail is pop.gmail.com (not pop3) and smpt.gmail.com.

Are these the right assumptions/settings?
Some, yes. Am I more confused. Sure. Did I confuse you more? I bet.

I played with so many options tonight I forget what is what now. Tomorrow i will post what I currently have set up.

And I thought this was going to be simple.
Like I said, if I did, I have no problem using some other freebies like Smarter Mail or Gawab if someone knows how to use those. As long as it is kept in mind that I own borg.us from GoDaddy and (another exmaple name) borg.mine.nu from DYNDNS.
Sorry I do not want to use the real names. Want to prevent spam and stuff, you know?
Let me explain the DYN thing too. My website is on PC1 using IIS. I use that deenes(? name) program to synch my IP with DYNDNS to match borg.mine.us. So when people type that site in, no matter what my IP changed to (Verizon DSL), it goes to that address and takes them to my PC.
Now I have bought this other domain from GoDaddy to do my own free email (me@borg.us, etc) and oh boy, what work this is!
My friend is actually stompped! And this is stuff he knows well too.
Night.

I have complete access to the outside. Any firewalls and such are disabled during testing.

Someone is telling me that is has to do with some MX setting. I do not think I can get that type of info from DYNDNS for free to plug into the GoDaddy account info.

That may be my biggest problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back