Metro Exodus suddenly appears on the Windows Store, releases on June 9

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? It looks like the post-apocalyptic Russian wilderness of Metro Exodus can now also be experienced through the Microsoft's Windows Store. Not just yet, though, as the title currently appears in the listing as not available, but a release date is set just in time for Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference on June 9.

Deep Silver and Epic stirred a hornet's nest when they decided to make 4A Games' much awaited title an exclusive on the Epic Games Store. While pre-orders of Metro Exodus on Steam were fulfilled, the last-minute exclusivity deal with Epic meant the game would make its way to Valve's marketplace no sooner than February 2020.

Now, the title has found another home on Microsoft's storefront. As spotted by PC Gamer, Metro Exodus appears in a new listing on the Windows Store and it just might be one of the featured titles in the company's recently announced Xbox Game Pass for PC.

While most gamers would still rather have the title appear somewhere else, considering that the Windows Store isn't much of a fan favorite either, it seems the Epic Games Store exclusivity could end sooner than expected, so there's a reason to feel smug about.

Metro Exodus was quite well received and well tested on the PC along with its ray tracing and DLSS performance. Here's hoping that its surprise launch on Microsoft's PC storefront can make up for its controversial start with Epic.

Permalink to story.

I assume it didn't sell well on epics store so now they're branching out.
Not unless they were lying about sales: https://www.techspot.com/news/79292-metro-exodus-sales-25-times-better-epic-games.html
When it arrives on steam, I'll buy it.
If you are not buying on Epic Game Store to vote with your wallet against anti-consumer practices, buying it on Steam later doesn't hurt anyone really, because the publisher was responsible for taking the exclusivity deal, and if they still sell more on Steam, its a double win for them, and they have no incentive to not continue to do exclusivity deals in the future.

"Suddenly", "Mysteriously" and "Secretly" seem to be the latest clickbait phrases recently.

Not unless they were lying about sales: https://www.techspot.com/news/79292-metro-exodus-sales-25-times-better-epic-games.html
If you are not buying on Epic Game Store to vote with your wallet against anti-consumer practices, buying it on Steam later doesn't hurt anyone really, because the publisher was responsible for taking the exclusivity deal, and if they still sell more on Steam, its a double win for them, and they have no incentive to not continue to do exclusivity deals in the future.

I thought Epic Game Store was gonna stop doing these exclusivity deals at one point?

It has sold very well. MS just has other things going on so they bought it to come to their store too. They have a ton of money to do whatever they want.
Steam does too but Epic doesn't care about them. MS store isn't a major competitor like Steam is. MS and Epic have had a good partnership for years.

I thought Epic Game Store was gonna stop doing these exclusivity deals at one point?
Only if Steam stop charging 30% to the devs otherwise Epic has made it clear, the digital platform war is on.

Only if Steam stop charging 30% to the devs otherwise Epic has made it clear, the digital platform war is on.
I'm going to quote @Evernessince here as you are just wrong:

Just like to point out that this statement is misleading. Valve offers a tiered revenue share system where the more you sell the lower steam's cut. It goes all the way down to 20% if your game sells enough.

Mind you those are only game sales directly through the steam store. Valve allows developers to generate steam keys for their games with zero cost to the developers and steam takes zero cut from them (as those keys aren't sold on steam).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ets-less-than-30-percent-of-steam-game-sales/

So when developers are complaining about a "30% share for valve" they are not only being disingenuous, they are outright hiding the fact that steam allows them to generate and sell their keys completely fee free on any other marketpalce. EPIC surely knows this as well. EPIC isn't acting for the benefit of gamers, they are using misleading statements to create a walled garden PC ecosystem.

Just as an example, over 30% of all steam sales are from a 3rd party site. So for a worst case example a big AAA game that is at Valve's 20% split tier would in fact only have an effective split of 14% (20 x 0.70). That's 2% more then what EPIC is taking.

I know the technical side of money may not be exactly 30%. I've seen the articles and Evernessince posts. Here's reality, no one gives a ****. Your avg. joe doesn't care about whatever the % is. The point is that is the reason. It's about money and exclusivity.

I know the technical side of money may not be exactly 30%. I've seen the articles and Evernessince posts.
Well this is off to a good start, you're admitting to passing on false information, just like the media loves to do.
Here's reality, no one gives a ****.
Well hang on there, they clearly do otherwise comment sections like this one wouldn't even exist? And Epic's Store wouldn't have made the news?
Your avg. joe doesn't care about whatever the % is.
You're clearly an average Joe and you keep spewing nonsense like "30%!!! OMFG!!!". So what are you trying to say here?
The point is that is the reason. It's about money and exclusivity.
Steam hasn't made any changes and has barely even acknowledged the existence of Epics Games Store. On top of that, this isn't saving us, the mere mortals, customers, "Average Joes" any money, the games are the same price on the Epic Store anyway.

Well this is off to a good start, you're admitting to passing on false information, just like the media loves to do.

Well hang on there, they clearly do otherwise comment sections like this one wouldn't even exist? And Epic's Store wouldn't have made the news?

You're clearly an average Joe and you keep spewing nonsense like "30%!!! OMFG!!!". So what are you trying to say here?

Steam hasn't made any changes and has barely even acknowledged the existence of Epics Games Store. On top of that, this isn't saving us, the mere mortals, customers, "Average Joes" any money, the games are the same price on the Epic Store anyway.
Replying to someone who thought Epic was going to stop doing exclusives doesn't mean one cares. Was simply replying to his question.
I could careless about what Steam or Epic does, both aren't going anywhere.

Admitting to what, that it's not exactly 30%. Ok. Again, no one cares what the % is. The issue is simply about money and exclusivity. It's not about customers per say but the deal that's being done. That in turn brings customers existing and new to the table which brings in more money. Which is what this is all about.

I keep spewing nonsense when I said it once. hmmm. The article said it and so have several other sites well before anyone else did. If you don't like what the articles are about then don't come in here or how bout you try writing stuff instead of freaking whining about it.

Wtf are you on about. Steam has clearly acknowledged Epic store otherwise they wouldn't be crying over the deals being done.

Back