Metro: Last Light Tested, Benchmarked

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/670-metro-last-light-performance/]https://www.techspot.com/review/670-metro-last-light-performance/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

It was a good idea to wait for ATI to fix their drivers before performing these tests. I'm happy to say my system with an AMD FX-8320, 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX 670 handles this game near perfectly at 1080p.

TechSpot, have you tested with the later released AMD patch for MLL? Please respond, thanks.

Great read. Nice to see another game so comprehensively benchmarked with such an array of cards and processors.
Looking forward to firing up the game myself once I have a little down time.

Now, if only the developer will once again offer metro: last light as a free game on facebook just like metro: 2033.
:)

Why does a benchmark or performance test always show Intel at the top half and AMD bottom half? And AMD flagship competing with Intel's budget i3s.

Why does a benchmark or performance test always show Intel at the top half and AMD bottom half? And AMD flagship competing with Intel's budget i3s.

The reason is simple ...Intel chips are much faster at the moment, core efficiency is considerably better. The FX-8350 competes with the Core i5 chips not the Core i7, AMD has nothing that can compete with the Core i7 and it has been that way for quite a few years now.

Good read, as always. I'm thinking this game will make my rig crawl. :D

I pre-ordered this one, but I've not had the chance to install it yet. I've been up to my neck in work for so long now I no longer remember what it feels like to get six hours of uninterrupted sleep. Can't wait until the weekend, when I can finally take a break and give this game the attention it requires.

Thanks for the well-written article. I really appreciate the SLI benchmarks, too. Thank you for the effort.

Believe this test did not run with Nvidia's exclusive "Advanced PhysX" ON. Or it might have cripple AMD performance...

Awwww... crossfire isn't working huh? Well, game still looks good. I'll snag a copy when AMD fixes crossfire.

Nice article, for the record I played the game with:
GTX 460 1GB
4GB DDR3
I53330
1920x1080
High settings, no SSAA, no TESS.
avg fps: 40

I think AMD has to get on top of drivers like nVidia. It took AMD a year or two to get the driver right for Metro 2033 to beat out nVidia's performance. They really need to work on that. Plus isnt this game more exclusive to AMD like 2033 was?

I think AMD has to get on top of drivers like nVidia. It took AMD a year or two to get the driver right for Metro 2033 to beat out nVidia's performance. They really need to work on that. Plus isnt this game more exclusive to AMD like 2033 was?

I don't think so, JC. It was actually apart of a promotion from Nvidia. So, I assume it's more of a exclusive for them.

^ We have seen that exclusive titles don't necessarily perform better on a certain brand...sometimes the opposite. I am just playing TERA and BL2 right now but it everytime I see a game like this trample a 670 at 1600p I get this urge to order another one and go SLi. Muuust...rrrresist.....arrgghh.

The reason is simple ...Intel chips are much faster at the moment, core efficiency is considerably better. The FX-8350 competes with the Core i5 chips not the Core i7, AMD has nothing that can compete with the Core i7 and it has been that way for quite a few years now.

Well that's partially true, but also the bottom half of the chips are mostly AMD budget chips. The AMD FX-8350 was nearing the top, definitely showing it's a match for the i5 series.

Believe this test did not run with Nvidia's exclusive "Advanced PhysX" ON. Or it might have cripple AMD performance...

Based on how low the frame rate is on high and Very high it will cripple fps on NV hardware aswell unless you have a dedicated card for Physx.

Which I happen to have in my Radeon 6970+650 superclock setup.

No.
Something like a 660Ti will handle PhysX very well by itself at high settings on 1080p.
I have seen people have issues trying to run green and red together though.

Yes there are some issues. Once setup properly has been great.

Currently play with it on in Borderlands 2 and Batman AC GOTY also Metro 2033.

I'm thinking its about time to replace the 6970 and go up to the 7970 Ghz if I want to play on High or High Quality for this game.

Cpu is i7-970 @ 4Ghz

No.
Something like a 660Ti will handle PhysX very well by itself at high settings on 1080p.
I have seen people have issues trying to run green and red together though.

Yes there are some issues. Once setup properly has been great.

Currently play with it on in Borderlands 2 and Batman AC GOTY also Metro 2033.

I'm thinking its about time to replace the 6970 and go up to the 7970 Ghz if I want to play on High or High Quality for this game.

Cpu is i7-970 @ 4Ghz

Don't rush into it the new GeForce 700 series may drive pricing down a little.

Crossfire is working for me at least. I was getting an easy 60 fps with 6970 CF on high settings ssaa disabled.

Don't rush into it the new GeForce 700 series may drive pricing down a little.

When is the release date?

I was thinking of grabbing the MSI R7970 Twin Frozr with the 4 Game bundle (Far Cry 3 BD,Crysis 3,Bioshock,Tomb Raider) for $409.99

How much of a drop are you expecting in price cause that is a pretty good deal ?
[FONT=helvetica][SIZE=23px] [/SIZE][SIZE=23px][/size][/FONT][SIZE=23px][/size][SIZE=23px][/size]

Back