Micron slips up, reveals details of Nvidia's upcoming RTX 3090

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Facepalm: Micron in a recently published tech briefing let slip some details about Nvidia’s Ampere generation of graphics cards that the GPU maker probably wanted to keep under wraps until its launch event later this month.

Micron in the briefing listed the RTX 3090 in a chart as having 12 GDDR6X modules, 19-21 Gb/s/pin, 76-84 GB/s/placement, 912-1008 GB/s/system and a total frame buffer of 12 GB.

“Working close with Nvidia on their Ampere generation of graphics cards, Micron’s 8Gb GDDR6X will deliver up to 21Gb/s (data rate per pin) in 2020. At 21Gb/s, a graphics card with 12pcs of GDDR6X will be able to break the 1TB/s of system bandwidth barrier!” As Tom’s Hardware highlights, all the evidence seems to suggest it’ll be 21 Gb/s.

RTX 3090 Memory Specifications according to Micron

When Nvidia teased its upcoming event, it mentioned 21 days and 21 years. The 21 days reference is in regard to the fact that its unveiling is scheduled for 21 days out (at the time), on August 31. That just happens to be the same day that Nvidia unveiled its original GeForce 256 GPU exactly 21 years ago.

Micron GDDR6X power requirements

We should know more soon as Nvidia’s big reveal is just over two weeks away.

Permalink to story.

There is no need for 24GB - 32GB VRAM for gamers like some claimed-leaks suggest.
My guess is that will be reserved for the RTX TITAN 3000 model.

So now I will put my 2080Ti on Ebay and probably draw about $800 for it (give or take $50).

There is no need for 24GB - 32GB VRAM for gamers like some claimed-leaks suggest.

So now I will put my 2080Ti on Ebay and probably draw about $800 for it (give or take $50).

If you find someone paying this much now (used), try to sell them a 7700k for $350 while you‘re at it.

Close to or even exceeding 1TB/s memory bandwidth. Would be impressive. That's the kind of bandwidth you need to push ray tracing about properly, it's somewhat less about the amount of memory and more about the bandwidth to feed the core.

Also it puts perspective on the next gen consoles with only half that bandwidth the entire system has to share, compared to this much dedicated solely to the GPU. Even the slower models should easily have 600GB/s memory bandwidth.

I sold mine last month before word started building for $1000 (and only originally paid $1150 2 years ago.

And 88% return and the best gaming u could have for years can't argue with that.

I buy day 1 and sell slightly before they lose top spot and it keeps me getting maximum value back out of my hardware.

I've had Nvidia top gpu for every year since 2013 (with most of them in sli) and could always claim the fastest Gaming pc you could have for last 7 or 8 years.

And because of the way I sell and buy I've only spent on average about $300 a year.

For me I keep a spare gpu in a drawer for testing purposes or fill g OK when a gpu in one of the systems is down for a bit it's nice to have this as an option and it's pays for itself when I can sell my high end stuff while it's values really high and have the much cheaper card to get by with. (truth is my gaming is in waves and has been slow since March I may have played 40 hours a month before then was doing 250+.

It ls a great plan for me and has kept me having the highest end pc gaming hardware you could want from 2012 to now and on average my out pocket costs have only been about $300 a year. And I'm talking sli 780-1080ti each and every xx80 card between them I had then a 2080ti to replace the sli 1080ti's in 2018.

If you find someone paying this much now (used), try to sell them a 7700k for $350 while you‘re at it.
I sold my 7700k back in May/June for around $300 another incredible value for sure seeing as it only cost me $340 back in 2017 when I bought it. Over 85% return in value.

It was a beast of a chip I had it delid with liquid metal TIM and red silicone high temp seal ran at 5.1 all core @1.38v (I usually kept it at 5.0 and 1.32v) but with my full custom loop idle was like 24-27c and max was around 45c

Intel and Nvidia older stuff especially on the big end tends to hold on to value really well.

Don't know about today but she I sold a couple months ago these7700k we're going for 250-340 on ebay and again they were only 340 new.

Likely people hearing vague rumors and wrapping all GPUs into one niche, when that is not the case at all. You are right, that level of VRAM is unwarranted for gaming. For professional graphics or workstation-class cards, maybe. But those are a different animal altogether anyhow, with different focus when it comes to polygon counts, pallete depths, etc. The pro-grade workstation class cards are much more likely to take advantage of tons of fast and specialized memory.

Likely people hearing vague rumors and wrapping all GPUs into one niche, when that is not the case at all. You are right, that level of VRAM is unwarranted for gaming. For professional graphics or workstation-class cards, maybe. But those are a different animal altogether anyhow, with different focus when it comes to polygon counts, pallete depths, etc. The pro-grade workstation class cards are much more likely to take advantage of tons of fast and specialized memory.

DUAL 32GB RTX 3000 would be nice for Nvidia to compete with the workstation class Radeon Vega Pro Duo.

I sold mine last month before word started building for $1000 (and only originally paid $1150 2 years ago.

And 88% return and the best gaming u could have for years can't argue with that.

I buy day 1 and sell slightly before they lose top spot and it keeps me getting maximum value back out of my hardware.

I've had Nvidia top gpu for every year since 2013 (with most of them in sli) and could always claim the fastest Gaming pc you could have for last 7 or 8 years.

And because of the way I sell and buy I've only spent on average about $300 a year.
I sold mine for $1080 a few weeks ago after buying it for $1200 a year ago. Was surprised someone was willing to pay that much, but not complaining. Though now I'm GPUless, so I'm hoping there won't be supply issues or it could be a very barren few months gaming wise. Though I do have Spiderman and LOU2 to keep me going on the PS4.

I sold mine for $1080 a few weeks ago after buying it for $1200 a year ago. Was surprised someone was willing to pay that much, but not complaining. Though now I'm GPUless, so I'm hoping there won't be supply issues or it could be a very barren few months gaming wise. Though I do have Spiderman and LOU2 to keep me going on the PS4.

Generally speaking, why not pick up a used 1060 or 1650 Super or similar in the interim, you could prob sell for a similar price as buying in 6 mo and not be out a GPU for that time. Or is it nice to do something else for a while and get back in when you can get the next gen good stuff?

That's the way to do it

Generally speaking, why not pick up a used 1060 or 1650 Super or similar in the interim, you could prob sell for a similar price as buying in 6 mo and not be out a GPU for that time. Or is it nice to do something else for a while and get back in when you can get the next gen good stuff?
Yeah I may do that, though so far I've been quite happy playing a bit of Spiderman and watching the world snooker champs!

But why are you having trouble playing games on your 2080ti?
I can easily destroy my FPS even on a 2080 Ti with some Killing Floor 2 on my 4K display. Let alone on my 5K2K display at work. Sometimes it can't sustain 60 FPS even on High settings, let alone on Ultra...

Yes, the game's probably horribly optimized, but the point stands: smooth 4K gaming still isn't a given.

I can easily destroy my FPS even on a 2080 Ti with some Killing Floor 2 on my 4K display. Let alone on my 5K2K display at work. Sometimes it can't sustain 60 FPS even on High settings, let alone on Ultra...

Yes, the game's probably horribly optimized, but the point stands: smooth 4K gaming still isn't a given.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey runs around 40-50 on ultra at 4K. In my case selling the 2080ti to buy the 3090 is half about solving that extreme first world problem, but also just cos it's a hobby and I ain't going anywhere on summer holidays this year so I've got more cash than usual so I'll buy myself a shiny toy.

DP 2.0 + HDMI 2.1 + PCIe 4.0 check

Monster GPU with abundant RAM, check

As for the software, I believe we won't see these "badly coded" games anymore for two reasons:

1) PS5 using X86 architecture paves way for cheap and effective ports
2) Xbox keeping one foot in the console business while putting the other in a virtual (a la Steam) store. This is one level above what Sony is doing and it will guarantee that every Xbox game will be optimized for PC.

Back