Microsoft accidentally rolls out business-oriented Windows 10 update to Home and Pro users

Polycount

Staff
Facepalm: Microsoft has been known to make the occasional misstep when it comes to Windows 10. Whether it's pushing a software update that deletes user files or forcefully introducing unwanted or unnecessary features with the latest versions of the OS, the tech giant has done it all. Unfortunately, Microsoft has made yet another mistake with its flagship operating system, albeit a relatively minor one this time.

Recently, Windows 10 Home and Pro users throughout the world were treated to an extra update that they weren't supposed to get in the first place -- KB4523786, to be specific. This update included several "quality improvements" to Windows Autopilot devices.

If you're wondering what on Earth Windows Autopilot is, here's a brief paraphrased description: Autopilot is a set of business and team-oriented technologies that can setup and pre-configure (or reset) multiple Windows 10 devices in quick succession. In other words, it's a tool for businesses and IT departments to boost efficiency.

As you might have guessed, Autopilot isn't intended for ordinary users, and cannot normally be accessed unless you fulfill a lengthy list of requirements. As such, KB4523786 -- which includes fixes and optimizations for Autopilot -- is completely useless for most folks.

This is hardly the worst mistake Microsoft has made over the past couple of years, but it's the latest example of the potential problems that can arise from the "Windows-as-a-service" business model. To be clear, this update is optional, but for casual users who have simply let Windows Update do its thing thus far, they may find themselves saddled with some unnecessary (but mostly-insignificant) OS bloat now.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and already seems to have fixed it for those who haven't downloaded KB4523786 yet. If you're reading this article and don't see KB4523786 in your Windows Update history, you're in the clear. If it is there, Microsoft says you won't be adversely impacted.

Permalink to story.

Windows has become so much of a s*** show that I'm surprised people, especially techies, haven't explored Linux as an alternative. I know I talk about this a lot and am probably beating a dead horse talking about my switch to Linux, but I authentically believe in it at this point. It is now viable to use certain distros without having to know anything about it. Things like Linux mint, my favorite daily driver, requires near zero knowledge of the command line. It Just Works.

As of the last few years, windows has become such a dumpster fire I have a hard time understanding why people aren't explore alternatives. Linux mint is by far the easiest to use, but for the more tech inclined, Manjaro can actually be fun to play around with and explore (do daily backups because you WILL break something at somepoint).

Look, gaming on Linux is actually viable at this point. Essentially everything on steam works with Linux with no technical knowledge. If you are tech savvy you can get almost anything to work. DRM can become a problem but if you can get PCIe pass through you can run anything in a VM. Go AMD if you want to run VMs, Im almost foaming at the mouth over the new thread rippers. If you want PCIe pass through on Intel you need a server CPU and motherboard.

I encourage people to install Linux on a bootable jump drive and try it out as their daily driver for a couple weeks. I recommend 64gb because you have room to install steam and a game or two. Once you see how easy Linux has become to use I think it will be obvious why you should make the switch

Last edited:
Windows has become so much of a s*** show that I'm surprised people, especially techies, haven't explored Linux as an alternative. I know I talk about this a lot and am probably beating a dead horse talking about my switch to Linux, but I authentically believe in it at this point. It is now viable to use certain distros without having to know anything about it. Thinks like Linux mint, my favorite daily driver, requires near zero knowledge of the command line. It Just Works.

As of the last few years, windows has become such a dumpster fire I have a hard time understanding why people aren't explore alternatives. Linux mint is by far the easiest to use, but for the more tech inclined, Manjaro can actually be fun to play around with and explore (do daily backups because you WILL break something at somepoint).

Look, gaming on Linux is actually viable at this point. Essentially everything on steam works with Linux with no technical knowledge. If you are tech savvy you can get almost anything to work. DRM can become a problem but if you can get PCIe pass through you can run anything in a VM. Go AMD if you want to run VMs, Im almost foaming at the mouth over the new thread rippers. If you want PCIe pass through on Intel you need a server CPU and motherboard.

I encourage people to install Linux on a bootable jump drive and try it out as their daily driver for a couple weeks. I recommend 64gb because you have room to install steam and a game or two. Once you see how easy Linux has become to use I think it will be obvious why you should make the switch

Sounds good, but....

I think what scares / confuses people from adopting Linux (Mint or other flavors ) are things like this:
"Cinnamon The most modern, innovative and full-featured desktop
MATE A more stable, and faster desktop
Xfce The most lightweight and the most stable"

OK, so which one should one choose, light-weight and stable, or stable and faster, or innovative and full featured??

And does Xfce mean that Cinnamon is not stable?? Or does MATE mean that Cinnamon is not fast??
Full featured sounds nice, but faster is nicer.......and stable is nicest!!

Why do they make it so confusing for people to choose??

Sounds good, but....

I think what scares / confuses people from adopting Linux (Mint or other flavors ) are things like this:
"Cinnamon The most modern, innovative and full-featured desktop
MATE A more stable, and faster desktop
Xfce The most lightweight and the most stable"

OK, so which one should one choose, light-weight and stable, or stable and faster, or innovative and full featured??

And does Xfce mean that Cinnamon is not stable?? Or does MATE mean that Cinnamon is not fast??
Full featured sounds nice, but faster is nicer.......and stable is nicest!!

Why do they make it so confusing for people to choose??
It's confusing for people, but Linux isn't some big IT company. It isnt for the average user, but for people like us, linux is great. While cinnamon is easiest for people to get started with, it does have it's stability problems. It requires the least knowledge to start using, but that's the compromise we make. At this point, windows is far more unstable than linux with the cinnamon GUI.

At the end of the day, my argument is that Linux is more stable than windows in it's current forrm and you can still game on it easily.

I'd argue that this stuff is difficult for people because our education system sucks, but that's another conversation entirely

It's confusing for people, but Linux isn't some big IT company. It isnt for the average user, but for people like us, linux is great. While cinnamon is easiest for people to get started with, it does have it's stability problems. It requires the least knowledge to start using, but that's the compromise we make. At this point, windows is far more unstable than linux with the cinnamon GUI.

At the end of the day, my argument is that Linux is more stable than windows in it's current forrm and you can still game on it easily.

I'd argue that this stuff is difficult for people because our education system sucks, but that's another conversation entirely

I'd argue that as a sys admin I'd rather not have to try to explain to entire departments how to use a computer.

There lies your problem, until it replicates 99.9% of windows including it's interface Linux is a non starter.

It's confusing for people

Linux isn't some big IT company.

It isnt for the average user

Linux is great.

Cinnamon is easiest it...have it's stability problems.

It requires the least knowledge to start using, but that's the compromise we make.

At this point, windows is far more unstable than linux

my argument is that Linux is more stable than windows

You're a funny guy. With billions of non-problematic computing devices operating Windows, why do you still believe Windows is a huge pile of trash?

It isn't.

Windows is effortless. It's stable. It's cheap. It's free on certain devices. It's fully supported. It's easily updated. It is not FAULT FREE. Windows has problems. Microsoft tries to fix those problems.

Windows is NOT for habitual downloaders grabbing many-gigabyte ISO's from unknown sources on the reg, who assume the position of Uber-Geek through a cli so they might evangelize to the internet how great the Minix clone is, for the benefit of the unwashed masses using Windows.

Put a cork in it. Give it a rest. Stop the madness. Please.

I'd argue that as a sys admin I'd rather not have to try to explain to entire departments how to use a computer.

There lies your problem, until it replicates 99.9% of windows including it's interface Linux is a non starter.
And I agree with that, but Linux is finally getting to the point where you DON'T have to explain how to use an OS to people. Linux mint cinnamon is what got me into Linux because it just works without me having to think about it.
You're a funny guy. With billions of non-problematic computing devices operating Windows, why do you still believe Windows is a huge pile of trash?

It isn't.

Windows is effortless. It's stable. It's cheap. It's free on certain devices. It's fully supported. It's easily updated. It is not FAULT FREE. Windows has problems. Microsoft tries to fix those problems.

Windows is NOT for habitual downloaders grabbing many-gigabyte ISO's from unknown sources on the reg, who assume the position of Uber-Geek through a cli so they might evangelize to the internet how great the Minix clone is, for the benefit of the unwashed masses using Windows.

Windows is not effortless. I switched to Linux because windows 10 broke every time it updated. Windows 7 was an amazing OS that I miss dearly but MS stopped supporting that because it was more profitable to collect user data and sell it.

It isn't.

Bravo! You've just said what thousands of people have been thinking in private. We all use Windows because it is effortless and stable and runs ALL of the software that we choose to use.
Thanks for speaking out.

Windows has become so much of a s*** show that I'm surprised people, especially techies, haven't explored Linux as an alternative... As of the last few years, windows has become such a dumpster fire I have a hard time understanding why people aren't explore alternatives.
While you're right, the public already has an alternative; Mobile. A great many people are just dumping PC's for phone & tablets. Mobile device can do most of what people need, they don't need a PC...

Example; I run Android on my laptop because I got tired of the copy of Windows 10 it came with. Runs perfectly and because it has root, I have the ability to secure it. Granted, I'm an exception to the rule, but how long will it be until Microsoft's monkey business motivates more people to shift away from Windows?

While you're right, the public already has an alternative; Mobile. A great many people are just dumping PC's for phone & tablets. Mobile device can do most of what people need, they don't need a PC...

Example; I run Android on my laptop because I got tired of the copy of Windows 10 it came with. Runs perfectly and because it has root, I have the ability to secure it. Granted, I'm an exception to the rule, but how long will it be until Microsoft's monkey business motivates more people to shift away from Windows?
I'm not talking about people who are ditching PCs. For productivity purposes, PCs will never be replaced. Android has its problems and it is also based on a Linux kernel so you are essentially already using Linux.
One thing Windows could improve on greatly is with multibooting. It's so lame with the bootloader from MS. Linux and it's Grub Bootloader is so much better at that. You can boot any OS with it from any partition. I use it to Boot on the same PC, Win10 and 7 + many Linux distros, including LibreElec(kodi) and Lakka(retrogaming). As long as you're not a hardcore gamer, Linux is the best choice for a multimedia PC connected to a TV. The best is MX Linux. It's the most popular distro by far lately. https://distrowatch.com/

Windows Updates are a pain in the...
Linux upgrades in a couple of minutes the whole system and all its apps, so you never have to get the updates separately for all your programs like it is on Windows.
I game on Linux all the time with zero issues. I've only had problems with maybe 5 games.

I'm not talking about people who are ditching PCs. For productivity purposes, PCs will never be replaced. Android has its problems and it is also based on a Linux kernel so you are essentially already using Linux.

I game on Linux all the time with zero issues. I've only had problems with maybe 5 games.
Yes but the most popular games are not available for Linux. The best way to play the latest game on Linux is to install Steam. But not all games are made for the Linux version of Steam. I have recently played Half Life Element 120 on Steam. It worked as well as if it was on Windows. So the only reason Linux is not a good choice for gamers (MacOS too) is because the developers choose to woks for the most used OS.
However I had lots of trouble to make Steam work on some Linux distros. On MX Linux it worked like a charm right off the bat. Having the correct display drivers is a must or Steam won't work.

Yes but the most popular games are not available for Linux. The best way to play the latest game on Linux is to install Steam. But not all games are made for the Linux version of Steam. I have recently played Half Life Element 120 on Steam. It worked as well as if it was on Windows. So the only reason Linux is not a good choice for gamers (MacOS too) is because the developers choose to woks for the most used OS.
However I had lots of trouble to make Steam work on some Linux distros. On MX Linux it worked like a charm right off the bat. Having the correct display drivers is a must or Steam won't work.
It's actually pretty easy to get non steam games and it's been my experience that it's the DRM that gives you trouble. Origin doesn't play well with Linux but EA hasn't released a game worth playing for A LONG time. Apparently epic game store is pretty easy to run on Linux. It only took a few hours for a guide on how to install borderlands 3 to come out.

And I agree with that, but Linux is finally getting to the point where you DON'T have to explain how to use an OS to people. Linux mint cinnamon is what got me into Linux because it just works without me having to think about it.

Windows is not effortless. I switched to Linux because windows 10 broke every time it updated. Windows 7 was an amazing OS that I miss dearly but MS stopped supporting that because it was more profitable to collect user data and sell it.

If you have problems with windows 10 updates you could always use this:

Btw does SCP:SL work well on linux?

Ive always used Windows. Still to do this day not had any major issues. Windows is far from perfect but there is no perfect OS, there is only whats perfect for you. If you have to preach Linux to people, well guess what it ain't perfect to begin with and has way to many versions for the masses to even understand. That's why it will never ever be a true option for Windows users.

I game mainly on my pc. I don't run into issues. Most issues I run into a usually game related. Even the issue the article is talking about, I never got that update. I never had my files deleted or usb/Bluetooth problems.
Recently, I had been convinced my pc has a problem. I checked everything from hardware to software. Was even told to uninstall and reinstall windows. Which I will only do as a last resort. It came out that my issue was NEVER pc related but a game issue that the dev latter confirmed. This is exactly why I rarely listen to people who think MS has tons of issues. While they do have various issues, the WORLD DOES NOT get them all. If you get those issues, yes it sucks but maybe you and a few others got it. Doesn't mean MS sucks and that we all should just go to Apple, Linux or Google. Some people can't even do that as some jobs/software will require a MS computer, nothing else will work. While there are ways to get software and get them working on other computers, your avg person don't have the time or care to do that, they will get whatever they were told to get so that they can get their work done. People even lose jobs/get fired over getting the wrong computer or fail classes because of not using the right software.

There is no perfect answer for what people need, which is also why there are several choices. MS is just considered the more universal option for most users. Just the way it is. Yes for more tech savy users may be able to do more with other computers but were are talking about the masses, something that appeals to all and that is Windows.
My advice would be to get a device that works for you, in your world. It may be a Apple, MS or Google, heck it might even be you want 2 different devices. Whatever the choices, get what's best for you.

Last edited:
People tend to forget that the masses (users, Admins, PC experts, tech journalists, you name it) expect - actually, in most cases, insist!! - that the latest version and release of Windows XYZ will still support all the software and hardware that was unleashed upon PC users the last 20+ years!

Does ANY other OS aside from Windows do that?? I highly doubt it.

People expect all that and then same people will complain that Windows sux because most likely it has a conflict with a legacy 8 bit software program from 1991 or it's not playing nice with a 10 year old hard drive!

I, personally, had zero problems / crashes, etc with Windows 10 (aside from one that was actually Avast's fault, once Avast was removed all was fine).

Having said that, I do keep an open mind and would try other OSes, once they can achieve, say, 70% functionality as Windows.

Almost everything you just said is 100% bullsh*t. It's not effortless, it's not stable(except compared to something like Windows ME), it's not cheap(that is, if you're buying the license yourself legitimately - $100 is a significant cost compared to the price of a new computer), and as recent and repeated events show, every time you update it you risk messing up your system and even losing your data.

Unless most -if not all- important productivity software is ported to Linux, it will never really take off. Games are fine, free programs are also great but you also need the really good stuff. Emulators, Wine etc. don't cut it.

Simple users who mostly only browse the Web, will not bother.

Unless most -if not all- important productivity software is ported to Linux, it will never really take off. Games are fine, free programs are also great but you also need the really good stuff. Emulators, Wine etc. don't cut it.

Simple users who mostly only browse the Web, will not bother.
But nothing prevents Adobe from making Photoshop work in Linux. They just don't want to. So it's the fault of corporations like that if Linux will never overtake MS.

Windows has become so much of a s*** show that I'm surprised people, especially techies, haven't explored Linux as an alternative. I know I talk about this a lot and am probably beating a dead horse talking about my switch to Linux, but I authentically believe in it at this point. It is now viable to use certain distros without having to know anything about it. Things like Linux mint, my favorite daily driver, requires near zero knowledge of the command line. It Just Works.

The big problem that is holding me back is anticheat clients don't support Linux. Counter strike go leagues like esea use their own anticheat. And only support windows.

But nothing prevents Adobe from making Photoshop work in Linux. They just don't want to. So it's the fault of corporations like that if Linux will never overtake MS. They all want to make lots of money, so they stick together. A free OS with all apps free is in their view a threat to consumerism actually.

I love Windows as much as I love Linux. I need to use windows 10 because I have to use the Adobe CC Suite and many great software only made for Windows. However we need to be aware that MS and MacOS with all their updates and upgrades are making sure you'll have to buy a new computer earlier than you think. The computing industry needs that to sell enough computers every year. The only way around it for you to save money is Linux.
You can still use your very old computers with the lite distros. One of my computers is 18 years old. I keep it working so I can still use an old dot matrix printer from time to time. Without Linux that printer and computer would have been thrown to the trash a long time ago. So if you have an old computer that is struggling to run Windows, try installing the lite versions of Linux. It gives a new life the the old gear. The only down side is that the latest Browsers don't support the old CPU anymore, like the AMD Athlon for example.

Last edited:
Back