Microsoft adds a bit of transparency to Windows 10 updates

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has fed us a steady diet of Windows 10 updates since the operating system was releases last July. While updates are almost always a good thing, Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming with regards to what the updates actually fix, a fact that has caused pushback from some users.

Based on this user feedback, Microsoft recently announced that it'll be providing more details about Windows 10 updates. Those details will be recorded publicly on the new Windows 10 update history site to serve as a historical record of prior release notes.

As it stands today, the update history page lists a brief description of changes for two updates: KB3135173 and KB3135174 (for Windows 10 version 1511 and the initial version released in July, respectively). Fortunately, there are also links to KB articles like this one that provide additional information.

More transparency is always welcomed but in reality, it'll have virtually no impact on the average Windows 10 user. Update history will, however, make it a bit easier for IT professionals and power users to track down the occasional faulty update or ones that cause incompatibilities with mission-critical or proprietary software.

That said, Microsoft still isn't detailing everything that's going on with updates, instead electing to list only some of the key improvements.

Permalink to story.

I don't need them detailed. I need them stopped, until I am ready to install them. That is without hacking the registry or playing with GPEdit.

I don't need them detailed. I need them stopped, until I am ready to install them. That is without hacking the registry or playing with GPEdit.
Then hide them and don't install them. There is a tool for that.
He didn't say he didn't want the updates. He wants to ability to pick WHEN he installs them, instead of MS cramming it down our throats and then Windows informing you to reboot because updates were installed without your consent.

The ability to choose is gone. MS has already stated that. Don't like it, to bad. It's not likely that will change due to the fact so many people never even updated XP or Windows 7. MS decided to take it out of the users hands.

The last windows 10 cumulated update complete screwed up all my settings and took out the programs that I had installed to stop the insiduous connections and information sending to MS plus the rest of the garbage that W10 installs together with their default settings. Fortunately I was able to system restore to prior to the update and all now ok and updates set to deferred. Microsoft is turning into a dictatorship!!

I'm yet to hear a single iSheep complain about Apples way of handling things, and they are far more heavy handed, claustrophobia inducing and secretive than M$.

Update history will, however, make it a bit easier for IT professionals and power users to track down the occasional faulty update or ones that cause incompatibilities with mission-critical or proprietary software

With what end? You can't uninstall nor "uncheck" them to not install them...

I hope Android gets their full workstations and computers ready by the time 2020 hits, Windows 7 will hopefully be the last Windows OS I use at home in my lifetime.
Windows 10, even with everything tweaked, is basically spyware.

I hope Android gets their full workstations and computers ready by the time 2020 hits, Windows 7 will hopefully be the last Windows OS I use at home in my lifetime.
Windows 10, even with everything tweaked, is basically spyware.

Yes, because Android has been awesome in productivity and has smoked any idea of having a windows mobile os, oh wait...

I'm yet to hear a single iSheep complain about Apples way of handling things, and they are far more heavy handed, claustrophobia inducing and secretive than M$.

Name calling and denigration is always an effective tool for lashing out. In the old days before I upgraded to Mac, I used to have to manually check for Windows updates, an always on feature (considering the 100s of security patches they always push out) is a legitimate issue.

On my MAC I have the App Store settings set to manually check (Just like you used to be able to do with Windows).

"Those who Know, Shoyld say....Those who don't, should not"

If so, then you should publish a link top such "tool". Quite frankly though, if this is aftermarket software, I'd just as soon pass.

AFAIK, wiith Windows 10 home. you can't even hack the registry or edit the group policy.

So, for the majority of users, Windows 10 updates are in forced suppository form.

Yeah I know, "but Windows 10 is free"....Spare me!

"Those who Know, Shoyld say....Those who don't, should not"
And those who choose to write in community forums, should learn to proofread or spell. BTW, why on earth would you capitalize "Know"?

Last edited:
MS Tool for adding the hide - show updates feature.
You are afraid of aftermarket software? And afraid of MS software, what doesn't scare you?
I wonder if all the people that cry over MS gathering data realize just how many programs do this. Google is perhaps the worst offender but there is also Apple which as of Oct. 2015 had at least 256 apps that collect data about the user. Every time you walk outside in most cities, you are on camera. Even in the countryside where there might not be another person for miles, you are under the scrutiny of hundreds of satellite cameras. All your purchases are monitored, all of your communications are monitored and recorded. If you are so worried that MS will know what time you shut down your computer at night, you are worrying over nothing. They want to know what you buy in the MS store and want to be able to direct you to things you might want to see. Wow, scary.
MS wants to know what you like to search for so they can speed future searches up and offer more pertinent results based on what you view.
Horrible stuff.
I could not care less about them knowing the stuff I use their OS to accomplish, why are so many people afraid of an OS that customizes itself to your usage?

why are so many people afraid of an OS that customizes itself to your usage?
If the OS customized itself to my usage, it would automatically update, and then wait patently for me to reboot on my watch. As it is I have to make certain I watch the notification icon and hope I don't miss the notification to reboot while I have something open. The disrespect Microsoft has for their user base, automatically rebooting their machines is beyond maddening. It's fine for people that want their machine rebooting at someone Else's will, it's not fine for me.

If the OS customized itself to my usage, it would automatically update, and then wait patently for me to reboot on my watch. As it is I have to make certain I watch the notification icon and hope I don't miss the notification to reboot while I have something open. The disrespect Microsoft has for their user base, automatically rebooting their machines is beyond maddening. It's fine for people that want their machine rebooting at someone Else's will, it's not fine for me.
An easy fix for this is to simply do what I do and use autosave feature in software you run, like 3DS Max, Ableton Live 9, Photoshop, or Gimp or whatever you use, then you can only lose at most 5 minutes worth of work(or whatever you set the autosave to), you should get in the habit of using autosave anyways because you never know when something will happen like a program or OS crash, etc.
Doing this will completely eliminate your worry about W10 restarting your machine.

MS Tool for adding the hide - show updates feature.
You are afraid of aftermarket software? And afraid of MS software, what doesn't scare you?
I wonder if all the people that cry over MS gathering data realize just how many programs do this. Google is perhaps the worst offender but there is also Apple which as of Oct. 2015 had at least 256 apps that collect data about the user. Every time you walk outside in most cities, you are on camera. Even in the countryside where there might not be another person for miles, you are under the scrutiny of hundreds of satellite cameras. All your purchases are monitored, all of your communications are monitored and recorded. If you are so worried that MS will know what time you shut down your computer at night, you are worrying over nothing. They want to know what you buy in the MS store and want to be able to direct you to things you might want to see. Wow, scary.
MS wants to know what you like to search for so they can speed future searches up and offer more pertinent results based on what you view.
Horrible stuff.
I could not care less about them knowing the stuff I use their OS to accomplish, why are so many people afraid of an OS that customizes itself to your usage?
Do you have a link, or are you just going to run on?

It doesn't matter what I'm afraid of, other people might feel differently.

Doing this will completely eliminate your worry about W10 restarting your machine.
Let me say it this way. When I set my machine working and walk away from it, I shouldn't walk back to find that MS has rebooted my machine, therefor interrupting the work I had it set to do. It is my machine it should work the way I (or anyone else) wants it to. The OS updating itself is fine. Microsoft rebooting the OS automatically is not fine. By doing this they are disregarding any and all work the user may have running. And no auto save is not an acceptable fix all solution.

Back