Microsoft giving $100 off Xbox One S and X with purchase of Red Dead Redemption 2

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Why it matters: There is this little game called Red Dead Redemption 2 that I’m only five hours into, but have already put on my GOTY list. Unless something drastically breaks in the latter parts, this is a must-have title in my book.

So, buying RDR2 is a no-brainer, but what if you could get it for free? Better yet — what if someone paid you $40 to pick it up?

Well, Microsoft is doing just that — in a way. If you’ve been on the fence about getting an Xbox One, now is a perfect time to take advantage of a pretty good deal. From now until November 3, if you buy Red Dead Redemption 2, you will get $100 off an Xbox One S or the more powerful Xbox One X. It looks really good on the XboneX.

Gamestop, Amazon, Newegg, and the Microsoft Store are all running the promotion. Not only that, the offer can be combined with bundles that are currently being offered.

For example, Amazon is running an Xbox One S/NBA 2K19 bundle right now for $291. Toss RDR2 in your cart with the package deal, and you’ll only pay $251 at checkout for all three items. The discount is valid for both physical and digital versions of the Rockstar cowboy opus.

Unfortunately if you were hoping for a PlayStation 4/Red Dead bundle you’re just out of luck. However, Sony is giving away a Red Dead Redemption 2 dynamic theme for free to anyone whether they bought the game or not. I know, I know — not too exciting, but hey, dynamic themes usually run about $2, so it’s better than nothing.

The RDR2 dynamic theme adds backgrounds, moving images, and music from the game to the PS4 home screen. You can download it from the PlayStation Store then enable it in Settings -> Themes.

Permalink to story.

There was this one promotion in Canada by Bestbuy where they would give you $300 off the price of an Xbox One X bundle if you give them your old Xbox One. As a result, the Xbox one X would only cost $300 CAD instead of $600 CAD.

I hope the price of the Xbox One X goes down to about $500 and they offer the deal again, resulting in me paying only $200 CAD + tax for it. That would be worth HDR with 4K. Not to mention a built-in 4k HDR bluray player.

The worst thing about consoles is that MS and Sony can charge anything for their monthly subscription fee and you will have to keep paying. It stopped me when I couldn't afford to pay any subscription and go toward an inexpensive PC and cheap games with free modes. And now when I can, I ask myself, how greedy will they be? Will they keep increasing subscription while asking more and more for games , full games, not just games segmented into like 4 or 5 parts and sold as DLCs? Will they stop at 15 per month subscription, 20?
I know I am not describing their situation right now. Subscription for both Xbox and PS is fairly cheap, what is it, 60 bucks for Xbox pass? But this control of controlling the money flow and steadily sucking of the consumer money regardless of you using this subscription or not is something I dislike a lot.

Gamepass is like $13.55 CAD, something like $12 USD per month and you get access to a huge library for XBOX. You get some triple A titles for PC as well. Check it out. Much more affordable gaming. Just google xbox game pass. Take a look at PS game pass as well.

Gamepass is like $13.55 CAD, something like $12 USD per month and you get access to a huge library for XBOX. You get some triple A titles for PC as well. Check it out. Much more affordable gaming. Just google xbox game pass. Take a look at PS game pass as well.

Sorry it's not more affordable. If you buy those games separately on sales you will save money in the long run. It might be cheaper even for years but in the long run they make more this way. That's why they use the monthly model, it makes more money. It might be a good service for some and I bet it's easier to use but not cheaper, they never go for the cheaper option.

I'll save even more and wait for the PC version. Also all the savings on monthly fees mean I will save even more, just couple of years and I have saved 400+ $ by not purchasing useless shait.

I'll save even more and wait for the PC version. Also all the savings on monthly fees mean I will save even more, just couple of years and I have saved 400+ $ by not purchasing useless shait.

Dont forget, nobody stops upgrading their PC, $$

Back