Starfield should be running better on Nvidia GPUs than it currently is

Daniel Sims

Staff
A hot potato: Much of the controversy surrounding AMD's collaboration with Bethesda on Starfield has been about the game's upscaling solutions. However, post-launch performance analysis of the PC version reveals an unusual comparison between AMD Radeon and Nvidia GeForce GPUs, especially when compared to other recent titles. Although this appears suspicious, there are several potential factors that could explain the discrepancy.

A performance evaluation of Starfield by Digital Foundry shows that Nvidia graphics cards and Intel processors are punching well below their weight. TechSpot's own GPU performance analysis paints a similarly puzzling picture in what's been one of 2023's most highly anticipated PC releases.

Starfield is notoriously demanding. To maintain 60 frames per second in 1440p at medium graphics settings, high-end GPUs like the Radeon RX 6800 or the GeForce RTX 3090 are needed. Yet, Nvidia cards seem to have an added challenge.

A telling comparison is between AMD's RX 6800 XT and Nvidia's RTX 3080. These GPUs are typically neck-and-neck in other recent, computation-heavy games like The Last of Us Part 1 and Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0. But in Starfield, AMD's GPU surpasses its Nvidia rival by over 20 percent, varying with resolution and settings. It even outpaces the once-dominant RTX 3090. Remarkably, Starfield is one of the few games where the RX 7900 XTX outperforms the RTX 4090, even though AMD designed it to rival the RTX 4080.

Similarly concerning is Digital Foundry's discovery that enabling hyperthreading on Intel CPUs degrades Starfield's performance. Meanwhile, Ryzen CPUs see more even saturation across all of their threads, particularly compared to most other high-profile titles that tend to lean on just a few threads.

The optics of the situation might cast further doubt on AMD's collaboration with Bethesda for the game. Controversy surrounding the partnership erupted when Starfield, the latest AMD-sponsored title, exclusively featured FSR as its upscaling option. This decision raised eyebrows, especially since modders and developers have confirmed that integrating DLSS and XeSS isn't problematic for major developers who've already adapted to FSR 2.

While it might be tempting to suspect foul play from AMD or potential oversight from Bethesda regarding competing hardware, it's essential to note that both Nvidia and Intel are responsible for optimizing their graphics products for major releases. AMD's August drivers enhanced Starfield's performance by 16 percent, whereas Intel had to roll out multiple emergency patches to ensure its Arc Alchemist GPUs could handle the game. Although Nvidia's late August drivers referenced Starfield, the company likely requires another update to fully address the issues. Moreover, it makes sense for Bethesda to focus mainly on AMD chips to optimize performance in the Xbox version.

Permalink to story.

But AMD cards cant see the sun or render correctly, some crap like that. Nvidia is rendering correctly, so wouldnt that lead to some type of issue with AMD? AMD getting better performance because they arent rendering certain things.
Once the game and or drivers are actually optimized, then I would talk about AMD over Nvidia but currently thats not the case with rendering issue going on. Not a fair comparison.

If Bethesda has done this on purpose they should get fined for unfair practices - something like creating an artificial monopoly for AMD . Bethesda deserves a lawsuit .

I mean, yeah sure: It should be running better on Nvidia and intel hardware, but is not like it runs decently or at any kind of acceptable level on AMD hardware anyway.

There's more than a bit of implications around that this is Bethesda intentionally screwing over something like 80% of the PC players which I really don't think it's the case in so much as the game is fundamentally !*!@#) broken at launch at least but according to Todd 'Go buy theoretical hardware' Howard it is 'optimized' already, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any optimization patches.

Game just needed to be pushed into a 2024 release window until it could run at least decently without FSR 2.0 at all and then having it as an option so it's playable on as far back as Pascal GPUs instead of being a requirement for everything but a 7900xt and a 4090.

Last edited:
It runs like dogs@&# on AMD GPUs so anyone looking for some red v green fanboy conspiracy must be willfully ignorant or a fool. OK, both if you like. That it runs like even more dogs@&# on Nvidia GPUs shows that Bethesda is even less competent than usual as potentially alienating >80% of the GPU market is the apotheosis of idiocy.

XTX beating the 4090 never looked right.

"Moreover, it makes sense for Bethesda to focus mainly on AMD chips to optimize performance in the Xbox version."

I don't buy it. Is Bethesda a AAA studio or not?

But AMD cards cant see the sun or render correctly, some crap like that. Nvidia is rendering correctly, so wouldnt that lead to some type of issue with AMD? AMD getting better performance because they arent rendering certain things.
Once the game and or drivers are actually optimized, then I would talk about AMD over Nvidia but currently thats not the case with rendering issue going on. Not a fair comparison.

The decal that is the Sun is not rendered at all. Decals impose almost no GPU load. The light source that is the Sun (which pushes an actual GPU load) is rendered properly because people can see the shadows that the (missing) sun is casting. This stupid bug is highly unlikely to lead to any differential GPU load. But it calls into question if any other things aren't rendered correctly on either brand GPU which could lead to real performance differences.

Players should be glad Bethesda havent thought the weapons redundant , lol . Or Bethesda are blind ? They put so much effort to put AMD ahead that didnt have time to look at the outcome , lol

AMD has invested a lot of time and money into getting the most performance out of its GPUs on both the game and driver sides.

The result was already expected.

I guess this is the new trend for AAA. We went fro games being unfinished, to games being unfinished with heavy monetization, then games being unfinished with heavy monetization AND a fraction the content of older games, to now games being unfinished with heavy monetization, a fraction the content of older games, and now no optimization requiring the crutch of frame generation to make the game remotely playable.

Great.

Amd is just playing nvidia and intel at their own game, nvidia has been known for over 2 decades for doing everything it can to slow amd cards, good examples are tessellation in crysis 2 (out of view) and ray tracing in cyberpunk 2077 that just made the game run at cinematic framerates on all cards but mostly on amd cards, newer games are much better some of them run with lower rt settings so that you can get good framerates without upscaling

nvidia is also doing planned obsoleteness for a while now, giving you less vram and pushing rt that you have to upgrade a few years later

so I really don't see the difference here

2 articles explaining the same thing
"AMD GPUs won't show the sun on any planet"
"Nvidia GPUs have worse performance"

Not displaying a light source / object will certainly free up performance

AMD really harmed Starfield and its brand image big time with this sponsorship.
This game looks like a PS4 game and 4090 can not get 100fps on 1080P ultra on this game.
Really absurd!!!

This game was the best choice for showcasing FSR3. Which they did not do.

AMD really harmed Starfield and its brand image big time with this sponsorship.
This game looks like a PS4 game and 4090 can not get 100fps on 1080P ultra on this game.
Really absurd!!!

This game was the best choice for showcasing FSR3. Which they did not do.
You can blame Bathesda for that, not AMD. They are using an old engine that they keep patching up.

If Bethesda says "you need better hardware" that usually means they don't really plan on making it run better.

You, the consumer, have set this standard.

If Bethesda says "you need better hardware" that usually means they don't really plan on making it run better.

You, the consumer, have set this standard.
When I saw people defending the 30FPS statement I knew this would be the result. I saw so much desperation in the eyes of xbox owners... it's like I'm talking to cultists.

People who enabled Rebar with nvidia inspector for this game, managed to get ~20% boost. Meaning it would get close to AMD GPUs.
If nvidia were to whitelist Starfield on their drivers for Rebar, everyone would benefit from this performance increase.

Back