Microsoft is testing a new Edge feature that captures screenshots of every site you visit

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Facepalm: Microsoft developers are working on a new feature for Edge. An upcoming version of the Chromium-based browser could provide an easier way to view web history, but it could also have chilling consequences for users' privacy.

Microsoft is testing a troublesome new option for its Edge browser. Currently available in the Canary channel for the Edge 117 release, the feature is designed to save a screenshot of every single web page visited by the user. While Redmond's wording is clear about what the feature does, the company doesn't provide enough explanation about how the screenshot-saving process actually works.

First spotted by Neowin, the new option is called "Save screenshots of sites for History" and is available on the "edge://settings/privacy" page. The option is off by default, so interested users need to manually enable it – at least for now. When the option is enabled, Microsoft explains that Edge will take screenshots of "the sites you visit" and save them. Afterward, the saved screenshots can be used to "quickly revisit" the sites from the browser's history.

Neowin speculates that Microsoft is essentially promising some sort of offline reading functionality for situations when there's no internet connection available. Users could then browse Edge's history to see a collection of web thumbnails by hovering the mouse cursor over every saved URL. There would be no need to install third-party extensions to achieve the same result anymore.

The offline reading "experience" doesn't seem to be part of the new screenshot-saving feature, though. When there's no internet connection available, trying to open a site with a saved screenshot simply returns a "no connection" error page. Microsoft doesn't even explain how and where screenshots are saved, if they're encrypted, or if they are being "synchronized" on the cloud for easier portability.

And then there's the privacy issue: a feature designed to take a snapshot of every single visited web page wouldn't be the most desired addition for people interested in keeping their browsing habits private. A saved screenshot could include usernames, passwords, or other kinds of potentially sensitive information. Microsoft doesn't provide any clue about how Edge will behave in these situations.

Edge 117 is expected to arrive in the coming months, so there will be time to further explore the new features and get some explanation from Microsoft. However, the Redmond corporation could try to be more transparent with potentially disruptive additions like the screenshot-taking option, making things a bit easier for everyone.

Permalink to story.

We're something like 29 years into browser feature development. I think there's a reason this feature has not been developed until now.

I suspect this was not in response to any user request, but perhaps to a third party...

I really like Edge interface. It is as fast as other browsers except for the very few sites where some functions did not work.
I do not need this feature though, and I would disable
it like everything I am not comfortable about.

I really like Edge interface. It is as fast as other browsers except for the very few sites where some functions did not work.
Edge is purely working on V8, same as Chrome and number of other browsers, there are no sites anymore which could work on Edge and not work on Chrome, unless you're talking about some IE6 only pages which at this age should be dead, could be (badly) emulated in Edge, and most probably are not existing outside some corpos internal network...

Let me open your eyes, go into your process, close all Edge related apps, and notice still several processes for Edge still running.
You want to get rid of Edge completely, you don't want anything to do with Edge or Chrome, any engine built for these 2 or all related are for pure spying, nothing else.
Always run your entire system free from spywares greatest spy masters, Apple, Microsoft, Google.
Your warned, don't say you have not been

Let me open your eyes, go into your process, close all Edge related apps, and notice still several processes for Edge still running.
You want to get rid of Edge completely, you don't want anything to do with Edge or Chrome, any engine built for these 2 or all related are for pure spying, nothing else.
Always run your entire system free from spywares greatest spy masters, Apple, Microsoft, Google.
Your warned, don't say you have not been
Allow me to open yours. Go into Edge settings>system and performance and uncheck everything there related to background, including performance monitor. Now go to the start, home and new tabs section in settings and uncheck the preload start page crap. close edge. edge is gone from task manager.

HOWEVER, msedgeview crap is still there in task manager. Thats not edge, its a runtime, like visual c++ etc that hosts the Widgets feature in windows 11. Use group policy editor to properly disable Widgets. I'm not telling you how.

Viola! edge and webview no longer in the task manager or running in the background. Go even further and remove edge auto updates from task scheduler and disable the msedge update services....double viola. it will never come back

oh u might have to reboot for this crap to fully take affect maybe.

Your eyes are now open. I guess.

We're something like 29 years into browser feature development. I think there's a reason this feature has not been developed until now.

I suspect this was not in response to any user request, but perhaps to a third party...
"perhaps to a third party..." like a three letter agency!🤬🤬

Allow me to open yours. Go into Edge settings>system and performance and uncheck everything there related to background, including performance monitor. Now go to the start, home and new tabs section in settings and uncheck the preload start page crap. close edge. edge is gone from task manager.

HOWEVER, msedgeview crap is still there in task manager. Thats not edge, its a runtime, like visual c++ etc that hosts the Widgets feature in windows 11. Use group policy editor to properly disable Widgets. I'm not telling you how.

Viola! edge and webview no longer in the task manager or running in the background. Go even further and remove edge auto updates from task scheduler and disable the msedge update services....double viola. it will never come back

oh u might have to reboot for this crap to fully take affect maybe.

Your eyes are now open. I guess.
Agreed. Its easy to find instructions on how to remove Edge from Windows installations. However, if you are using any apps that require it, removing Edge kills those apps - for instance, those who stream Disney+ or Hulu. The Hulu app is crap anyway, IMO.

How about we all see, Let us PLEASE all see Bill Gates browsing history on his phone while he was on the Lolita Express, Jeffrey Epstein's plane . Let's see his phone log records, travel records, see if Gates flew to the pedo Island or just flying around to eventually be 'compromised' by the cia/mossad to use him as they please. Let's see IL (D) **** Durbin's records, he doesn't want us to see Epstein's plance Log recirds

Morgan & Morgan will be heading up a class action lawsuit within a year of its implementation......"Dial #LAW that's all" :rolleyes:

Back