Microsoft sues Datel for patent infringement on gamepads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has filed suit (PDF) in a Seattle court and with the ITC against British gaming accessories maker Datel for patent infringement. Redmond claims the peripheral company stole various design patents from the Xbox 360 controller.

At first glance, Datel's $30 TurboFire and $50 WildFire controllers obviously bear much resemblance to Microsoft's Xbox 360 gamepad, though minor aesthetics do vary. To be fair, plenty of other companies have similar clones, but they must have more than just trivial differences.

There are numerous patents in question, including D521,015, D522,011, D547,763, D581,422, D563,480, and D565,688 -- most of which touch on the controller's front design and button layout. It doesn't seem that any internal workings of the device are a part of the suit.

Microsoft seeks an undisclosed amount of damages, as well as an injunction against the infringing products. This comes concurrently with the company's failed appeal in the i4i patent case. Displeased with its loss, Microsoft may bring the matter before the Supreme Court.

Permalink to story.

At first glance, Datel's $30 TurboFire and $50 WildFire controllers obviously >> bare << much resemblance to Microsoft's Xbox 360 gamepad,

Matthew, whoops on the English homonym here. "Bear" I believe, is what you were looking for. Or else the controller is naked.

Indeed :). Interestingly, I've used the word properly dozens of times in previous posts (looking back now). Just a typo and missed it on the proofread.

Thanks for the correction.

dunno, if i were datel i would have based my design on a controller that is considerably less crappy than the "original" xbox 360 one. then again im a pc gamer so what do i care.

i don't see the difference between these and any other 3rd party controller. What am I missing? Do those others get a license from Microsoft?

Yes Madcatz and other companies have to license the technology from Microsoft to make official 3rd party products.

Tekkaraiden said:
Yes Madcatz and other companies have to license the technology from Microsoft to make official 3rd party products.
ok well if other companies are getting having to license their knock offs this makes a bit more since. Pretty much any off brand controller looks almost identical to their official counter part. I guess Datel should have got the proper licensing.... :p

Booo! Microsoft. Please companies have been making similar game pads for the systems for like ever. They have a point in that the company made their design with the same colors and the buttons are all in the same spot.

its almost a clone, just more crappy . ...no licens for making it , no wonder they get sued.

I think it's a wonderful turn of events, M$ having cause of action in a lawsuit.

Whether or not they deserve it they are always the defendants, I wonder how their legal staff will do, I'm sure they're not used to going on the offensive.

Why does there always have to be an Apple ***** wherever you go on the internet?

lol @ probably on an ipad
@maestromasada; you can use IE on MAC OS, I was using it today! You just have to Download it, like you do with Firefox or Chrome in Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back