Microsoft testing ads for its services in the Windows 11 File Explorer

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft's modernization of File Explorer in Windows 11 received mixed reviews, but the company is also exploring new ways to monetize the new operating system. A recent preview build of Windows 11 (22572) contains signs that File Explorer could soon display ads for Microsoft apps and services in the form of tips and suggestions.

Last week, Microsoft released a new preview build with a few unannounced features, as they are more or less buried and require some additional steps to enable. One of them is an indication that File Explorer will soon have a tabbed interface, which is one of the most highly-requested features of the past few years.

This week, a Windows Insider named Florian noticed a not-so-subtle addition to File Explorer that suggests Microsoft is experimenting with new ways to promote its services throughout the Windows user interface. The particular ad spotted by Florian was for Microsoft Editor (part of Microsoft 365), which is the company's AI-powered grammar and spelling assistant for Word, Outlook, and the web.

The ad showed up as a tip/suggestion in the upper part of a File Explorer window, right below the address bar. Interestingly, Florian had already been using Microsoft Editor for a while before seeing the ad. The company has previously used this approach to promote OneDrive and Microsoft 365 subscriptions, sometimes even to people who already own one or both.

Spamming Windows users with more ads for Microsoft services might seem like a smart move to someone in Redmond, but it likely won’t be a popular one. Windows 10 and Windows 11 users are already treated to “recommended” apps and services during the out of box experience while setting things up, but at least that is something you can quickly skip over.

For now, it appears the File Explorer ad for Microsoft Editor is part of an A/B test that may or may not lead to it being in the final build released to all users. Still, if Microsoft does implement the feature, you'll likely be able to disable it through a checkbox or toggle in Settings.

In Windows 11, a checkbox called "Get tips and suggestions when I use Windows"--under Settings —> System —> Notifications--disables the feature. In Windows 10, there are two relevant checkboxes in the same spot—"Offer suggestions on how I can set up my device" and "Get tips and suggestions when I use Windows."

Permalink to story.

MS trying to get away with it again. This company never learns the lessons of the past. They will receive another big backslash for being so stubborn and evil.

And yet this has been going on for like, 30 years of literally having no other widespread option for computer operating systems.

I don't know but to me it sounds as if none of the resolutions and backlash and EU sanctions have done a damn thing to even slow down their industry wide monopoly when people should have said "No, you cannot bundle a PC with an operative system as the basis for a business relationship with manufacturers" And people think nobody can do anything about their monopoly

Windows is a bloated, fat joke these days. The amount of issues you read about with stuttering etc on godly hardware that is remedied by using shutup10 etc is.....a massive joke. Auto driver installation is a joke. Install my network driver and let me do what I know is proper. Get onedrive out of my face if im using an offline account. Don't even install it and quit telling me that my system has broken files if I uninstall it then run sfc /scannow now. That issue used to happen on windows 10. Quit reinstalling crap I uninstall after running windows update. This operating system is literally a bastard child nobody wants now but are forced to deal with. How many eons am I going to install windows freshly, go into the event viewer and see copius amounts of yellow warnings and a few critical errors. Just fix your garbage. What ***** working on windows 11 thought it was a good idea to remove the ability to drag files from within a zip file to the very bottom right of your screen to show the desktop, then drop the files on the desktop? absolutely fire that guy yesterday. I could go on.

Yes yes please keep torturing your users Microsoft. what are they going to do - leave? sadly they by and large will not! may as well beat on them some more

EVERYTHING is a subscription these days.
Phones, television...pretty soon you won't own a vehicle, you'll just "subscribe" to it. ;)
Isn’t that kinda what leasing is? 😂 I know you can still buy but a lot people lease and kinda think it’s like subscribing

The best thing people can do to make Microsoft understand that we're done with this crap is to not "upgrade" to Windows 11 for any reason. If we all stay on 7 or 10 developers won't artificially tie their products to Windows 11 no matter what Microsoft offers them. Linux is slowly closing the gap on functionality and reliability, and the more Microsoft plays their Google-esque games the more motivation big companies have to support open source.

I'm really rooting for the Steam deck to be a big success, resulting in most PC games having good Linux compatibility, at which point I can switch to a Linux desktop and never have to read or be disgusted by another article like this again.

Also wondering at what point the top say Fortune 100 CIOs get together and say we're going to fund a Linux replacement for MS that brings all the compatibility and usability that any productivity user would need, because our employee desktops are not advertising vehicles (and nor does our data belong to MS, etc.)

As a graphic designer is really hard to work outside Adobe ecosystem. SuSe / Mint is options I have work and like, but linux design software has a lot miles to walk.

MS trying to get away with it again. This company never learns the lessons of the past. They will receive another big backslash for being so stubborn and evil.
They noticed the backlash and officially commented that it "was a joke". PR never lies, eh.

As a graphic designer is really hard to work outside Adobe ecosystem. SuSe / Mint is options I have work and like, but linux design software has a lot miles to walk.
I need Adobe for other reasons, but yes, Linux without Adobe is a moor. I have no use for it, at least for now.

This crap that Microsoft is pulling has finalized my decision. When my computer dies, I'm buying a Mac. I already have an iPhone and an AppleTV, I have plans to buy an iPad, and to be honest, all I would need is a Mac Mini.

This is just more nonsense to pile on top of the existing crap Microsoft keeps dumping on everyone. Someone needs to get rid of the doltish CEO and put someone in place who has some sense.

This crap that Microsoft is pulling has finalized my decision. When my computer dies, I'm buying a Mac. I already have an iPhone and an AppleTV, I have plans to buy an iPad, and to be honest, all I would need is a Mac Mini.
That's not the right answer to give them. Instead, mod, tweak and crack Microsoft's nonsense. Use it but use it your way. Be defiant and belligerent. Teach them that their lacking behavior will not be tolerated.

Back