Microsoft turns shaky time-lapses into incredible, smoothly flowing video

Scorpus

Staff member

With so many first-person cameras available in the market today, such as head-mounted GoPros and Google Glass, many people have been creating videos of their travels. Because of the head-mounted nature of these videos, the final product will often be quite shaky, especially if you plan on shortening it down into a pleasing time-lapse.

Microsoft has been working hard at a solution: an algorithm that turns shaky time-lapse videos into a hyperlapse video. Hyperlapse is a term used to describe time-lapse videos that are extremely smooth, often created using a special rig or careful software stabilization. With head-mounted cameras, traditional software stabilization isn't enough to create hyperlapse footage.

The algorithm to create hyperlapse videos uses a combination of 3D reconstructions, stitching and blending. This makes each frame in the video a composite of multiple other frames, which does reduce quality, but delivers an amazingly smooth result that easily justifies the effort.

The video above shows a comparison between original footage and hyperlapse videos constructed using Microsoft's algorithm. The research team behind the project has another video on their website that gives a more technical overview of how the algorithm works, alongside a full technical paper.

Microsoft is hoping to package their algorithm into a Windows app, which would certainly be a useful and cool addition to a video enthusiast's tools.

Permalink to story.

So cool
could be very useful if you would want to learn a driving route in advance before a trip

Impressive! It seems Microsoft can get things right sometimes. Lol.

The pop-in is really obvious when you don't look at the centre of the video. You can't cheat reality.

It's cool but instead of writing complicated algorithms why not mount the camera on your head with a spring and damper with a couple of gyro's for stability, that way you can also look like Inspector Gadget.

I wouldn't expect this from Microsoft! I would have thought that Google did this work. Good job MS - innovating technology is cool!

That is super cool. I actually like the pop-in effects and the stop-motion-like appearance of the people and cars, etc.

Back