Microsoft working on Surface 2 successor that ditches ARM, Windows RT

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft surface arm windows intel microsoft surface windows rt surface 2

The Surface 2 wasn't a very successful product from Microsoft, mostly due to the fact it was powered by an ARM processor, which limited app compatibility and features as it was forced to run Windows RT. But the company appears to have learned from their mistakes: a successor to the Surface 2 is reportedly in the works, and it's not powered by ARM.

According to a report from WinBeta, the Surface 3 will come with a low-power Intel CPU in a fanless design. This indicates it will either use an Atom SoC, perhaps from Intel's next-gen Cherry Trail line, or one of the recently-released Core M chips that we've seen in thin and light notebooks.

As the Surface 3 isn't powered by ARM, it will come pre-loaded with the full, x86 version of Windows. It appears as though the tablet will launch before Windows 10 hits the market, so Microsoft will pre-load it with Windows 8.1 and allow it to be upgraded to Windows 10, like other existing x86 Windows devices.

The Surface 3 will slot in to Microsoft's line-up below the more powerful (and likely more expensive) Surface Pro 3, which features a U-series Haswell CPU and a 12-inch display. Other specifications for the Surface 3 haven't been revealed, although we expect it to include a 10.6-inch display like its predecessor.

WinBeta speculates that the Surface 3 will launch soon, around the timeframe of Microsoft's BUILD conference at the end of April.

Permalink to story.

Pricing will decide whether it lives or dies. I'm leaning towards the latter, there are more than enough Android models at various price points to choose from and I'm not convinced it's Win OS plays such a big part.

Just bought a HP Stream 7 for £50. Is there any need for a Surface 3? I think the price needs to be very competitive for it to get any sales.

I also have a Surface Pro 3, which is used mainly for work, too big and expensive to "couch surf" with.

It appears as though the tablet will launch before Windows 10 hits the market, so Microsoft will pre-load it with Windows 8.1 and allow it to be upgraded to Windows 10

Not a chance. Surface 3 will be the platform to first feature Windows 10. There is no way they release Surface 3 with Windows 8.1

They are so invested into Windows 10 at this point, missing its promotion on the new Surface tablet would be like breaking the only golden egg they got.

Last edited:
Pricing will decide whether it lives or dies. I'm leaning towards the latter, there are more than enough Android models at various price points to choose from and I'm not convinced it's Win OS plays such a big part.

I'm inclined into the first, probably it will come with a Stylus and Keyboard that will make it a better deal. I played the other day with the Stream in the store and it's awesome, for such a cheap device it doesn't feel cheap at all, but it does have some limitations with it's 1gb ram, it works for sure, but it's not as snappy as something with 2gb could.

They'll add a couple of ports for usb connectivity, stylus, keyboard docking probably, and some more internal storage, this will be the sale point of the Surface 3.

Back