Microsoft's new Surface Studio 2 gets an improved display, faster graphics and better...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Microsoft did just enough to keep its Surface Studio AIO relevant, adding faster graphics, a better display and reasonable storage upgrades. Curiously enough, an 8th gen Intel processor isn't an option.

Microsoft at its 2018 Surface event on Tuesday unveiled its second generation Surface Studio, an all-in-one desktop designed specifically for creative professionals.

The Surface Studio 2 heavily favors its predecessor but it’s what’s under the surface (no pun intended) that really matters. The AIO is powered by an Intel Core i7-7820HQ processor and can be configured with up to 32GB of RAM, 2TB of SSD storage and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB graphics card.

Microsoft says the graphics are 50 percent faster than before.

Buyers also get a 28-inch Brilliant PixelSense Display (4,500 x 3,000 resolution, 192 PPI, 3:2 aspect ratio) with 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity that Microsoft claims is 38 percent brighter and offers 22 percent more contrast compared to the previous model. Like before, the Surface Studio 2 is compatible with Microsoft’s Surface Dial accessory.

The Surface Studio 2 is available to pre-order from today. Pricing starts at $3,499 for a model with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage and tops out at $4,799 if you want double the memory and storage capacity. According to the purchase page, orders should ship by November 15.

Permalink to story.

This is where being a computer building hobbyist comes in handy. I think any one of the people who frequent TechSpot could build an equal machine for a little more than half of what Microsoft is asking for one of these.

This is where being a computer building hobbyist comes in handy. I think any one of the people who frequent TechSpot could build an equal machine for a little more than half of what Microsoft is asking for one of these.

Although I agree that you can get the same performance. You will not be able to get the form factor. Some people care more about the form factor then performance.

So-called experts said the same thing about the "trash-can" style Mac Pro when it was released. Real experts did some maths and were able to show that a similar device would cost at least US$2,000 more.

Indeed, but you do not get the warranty quality or support.

1. This is not meant for hobbyist, this is aimed towards businesses
2. It's priced at pennies versus their alternatives for business video conferencing systems (FE: Cisco, tens of thousands of dollars while not providing anything other than video conferencing and remote desktop streaming)
3. Even if aimed at hobbyist, they will never reach the same fidelity nor have the same multi touch input screen at that price
Edit: The point 2 was me being confused as heck, for some reason after reading I started thinking of the Surface Hub 2 instead of the Studio, however both point 1 and 3 are valid.

Last edited:
Back