Microsoft's next-gen console rumored to be more powerful than PlayStation 5

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Following last week’s confirmation of the PlayStation 5’s specs, next-generation consoles have become the industry’s hot topic. The latest rumor claims that as powerful as Sony’s machine is, it won’t be as advanced as Microsoft’s Xbox One X successor.

Sony’s lead architect Mark Cerny unexpectedly revealed details of the PlayStation 5 last Tuesday. We now know it will be powered by AMD’s 7nm third-generation Ryzen CPU (Zen 2), use a custom Radeon Navi graphics GPU, and support ray tracing and 8K resolutions.

That might sound pretty impressive, but Microsoft is said to be going one better. Ainsley Bowden, founder and head editor of Seasoned Gaming, tweeted that “multiple insiders” have confirmed that Microsoft’s Anaconda will be more advanced than its rival.

Back in December, we heard that two new Xbox machines would make up Microsoft’s next-gen lineup: a cheaper device codenamed Lockheart, which is thought to be an Xbox One S successor with performance comparable to the current Xbox One X; and Anaconda, the flagship console that, like the PS5, will likely feature high-end AMD hardware and an SSD.

Exactly how Anaconda will outperform the PS5 is still unknown, but the obvious answers would be a CPU with more cores and a faster clock speed, a more powerful GPU, extra RAM, and perhaps a faster SSD. This is no guarantee of success, of course; the Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market right now, yet PS4s have sold almost double the number of Xbox One consoles.

Cerny called the PS5 price point “appealing,” and analysts are expecting it to arrive at $499, so we can expect Microsoft’s flagship to cost around the same. It seems 2020 will be an exciting year for gamers.

Permalink to story.

Not surprising, lessons learned from launching a clearly less powerful console than the PS4, crippled their chances of the Xbox One winning this generation, like the Xbox 360 did over the PS3. They won't make that mistake again. It will have a laser like focus on gaming performance rather than the living room, multi-media hub nonsense that Don Mattrick tried to turn the Xbox brand into.

Microsoft have the money to throw whatever it takes at the Xbox Two, in order to ensure they will have the most powerful console in 2020, even if the hardware is losing them more money than they'd like at launch prices.

Last edited:
Games maketh the console. Pricing helps.

Also the chances of Microsoft's box being significantly more powerful than PS5 aren't very likely. It could be more powerful, but enough to make a big difference? Probably not. Could it be twice as fast and launch in the same year for example? No chance. Maybe a system 20 or 30 percent faster, best case scenario.

This is because from what we know of the PS5 hardware Cerny interview it should easily do the business at native 4K, and with the lack of 8K popularity anytime soon that's all the majority of people will want for several years.

What makes more power even less effective these days for consoles is the fact they are now aiming at pretty mega resolutions. Diminishing returns is definitely a thing now at this level.

Quality scaling at >1800p is getting more difficult to pick apart from native 4K. This isn't like a night and day difference between 480p and 720p, the difference between well scaled 1800p and native 4K is marginal on the eyes. It's nothing to go nuts about playing on a TV sat 8 feet away.

So even if a game targets native 4K on a more powerful Xbox and a rival machine can't do it, scaling and other techniques are picking up the slack. You can guarantee these machines are built with these techniques in mind.

More power will especially not make a significant difference if Sony's machine sells better again because developers focus on the most popular hardware. So devs will build a game targeting native 4K on PS5, and then scale it either way slightly for less popular machines.

You see this now. Everything targets 1080p on PS4. Then the game runs at whatever else is possible on all the other machines. It's the baseline because of sales.

Last edited:
It all depends on the price point. The main reason why the original Xbox One was bashed was because it was less powerful and cost more. I don't think MS can do better specs at the same price (unless they release a version with no optical drive for 50-100$ less). But Sony can do the same if need be.

What I can see happening is the consoles having different specs for the CPU and GPU with one of them having a better CPU and the other a better GPU with small differences in the memory subsystem and storage.

I dont know why they focus so heavily on graphics, the switch proved that great games will win out in the end.

even worst is the fact that they still screw up the hardware anyway, there is absolutely no point in talking about 8k anything when you look at a ps4 and see it lagging on its own menu, I'd be more hyped if they talked about mastering 4k and 1080p, because since ps3/360 neither console can claim to run 1080/60 without giving something up,

I can't remember the last time I saw a "must play" game. The games market itself is pretty tragic at the moment and if people don't really care about the games coming out on a console, they won't buy the console. This is the big problem that Sony and Microsoft need to get involved in if they want continued success.

And as always, Nintendo will just do its own thing.

It all depends on the price point. The main reason why the original Xbox One was bashed was because it was less powerful and cost more. I don't think MS can do better specs at the same price (unless they release a version with no optical drive for 50-100$ less). But Sony can do the same if need be.
The main reason why it was less powerful for more was because of the mandatory Kinect. And it didn't sell as well also because of the online-only console backlash on reveal.
MS could easily compete specs with Sony, I don't know where you're getting that from.

The main reason why it was less powerful for more was because of the mandatory Kinect. And it didn't sell as well also because of the online-only console backlash on reveal.
MS could easily compete specs with Sony, I don't know where you're getting that from.
Even after they removed the Kinect they didn't manage to undercut the PS4's price and it took them about a year to do it.

Even after they removed the Kinect they didn't manage to undercut the PS4's price and it took them about a year to do it.
Yeah, probably because of inventory. Or MS not wanting to take a bigger hit (though their management is making better decisions now).
In any case, 360 vs ps3 and this gen says that the next gen could go either way. Though Sony's gamer unfriendly stance with cross-platform could do them some damage (unless they do something clever).

Just for clarification purposes:

PS2 - OG Xbox
PS3 - Xbox 360
PS4 - Xbox One
PS4 Pro - Xbox One S
??? - Xbox One X.

Either MS are playing their hand too early, or Sony are just a generation ahead.

Just for clarification purposes:

PS2 - OG Xbox
PS3 - Xbox 360
PS4 - Xbox One
PS4 Pro - Xbox One S
??? - Xbox One X.

Either MS are playing their hand too early, or Sony are just a generation ahead.

The Xbox One and the Xbox One S are pretty much the same performance-wise. It is the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X that are comparable, not the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S.

Xbox One S was basically a refresh of the original Xbox One into a smaller physical footprint. The CPU and GPU specs of the original Xbox One and the Xbox One S are pretty much the same (the Xbox One S GPU is clocked at 914Mhz instead of 853Mhz, but that's about it). Think of the Xbox One S like the Xbox 360 Slim that came out in black, after the original white (and larger) Xbox 360 was replaced by the Xbox 360 Slim at a lower price point.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-vs-xbox-one-s-vs-xbox-one-x-what-are-the-/1100-6456482/

The Xbox One and the Xbox One S are pretty much the same performance-wise. It is the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X that are comparable, not the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S.

Xbox One S was basically a refresh of the original Xbox One into a smaller physical footprint. The CPU and GPU specs of the original Xbox One and the Xbox One S are pretty much the same (the Xbox One S GPU is clocked at 914Mhz instead of 853Mhz, but that's about it). Think of the Xbox One S like the Xbox 360 Slim that came out in black, after the original white (and larger) Xbox 360 was replaced by the Xbox 360 Slim at a lower price point.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-vs-xbox-one-s-vs-xbox-one-x-what-are-the-/1100-6456482/

So 4K/HDR, faster clocked GPU. Not really the same. The PS4 and the slim are a refresh, but the S is a slight upgrade. I'm not bashing MS, just telling how it is.

So 4K/HDR, faster clocked GPU. Not really the same. The PS4 and the slim are a refresh, but the S is a slight upgrade. I'm not bashing MS, just telling how it is.

I would agree with your assessment, if not for how you were putting the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S as comparable in your initial post. The performance of the Xbox One S isn't at all comparable to that of the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro is more powerful by quite a bit. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are the ones comparable because both were released in an attempt to allow playable 4K gaming. The Xbox One S doesn't support actual 4K gaming; it uses upscaling from 1080p to 4K as per the Techradar article I linked below. It means that the difference between the Xbox One S and the original Xbox One would be an upscaling chip. The Xbox One S is analogous to the Xbox 360 Slim with an upscaling chip.

"With the Xbox One S its 4K output in games is generated by a process known as upscaling. The games themselves are rendered at a maximum resolution of 1080p (otherwise known as ‘Full HD’) and then stretched to have it fill the entirety of a 4K screen."

Techradar Xbox One S vs PS4 Pro article link:
https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-one-s-vs-ps4-pro-which-is-better

And if you are curious about PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X, here's the Techradar PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X article link:
https://www.techradar.com/news/ps4-pro-vs-xbox-one-x-how-are-the-mid-generation-consoles-shaping-up

How can Microsoft say that their next XBOX will be more powerful than the PS5, when we do not even know how powerful the PS5 is going to be?? Seems like hot air if you ask me. My guess is that Sony will do the same routine they did last generation, leaving the actual specifications intentionally vague until the last possible moment.

Sony are in control of the next generation, and only a step or two from securing another win from Microsoft, who are just reacting to the news. This just proves that despite what they say, Microsoft are STILL clinging to the same old strategies that they have always clung to. There is no new thinking on Microsoft's part. Who cares if the next XBOX is more powerful? The 1X is more powerful, and it did nothing for them.

In the Mark Cerny interview he spoke a lot about the PS5 platform, without having to resort to enumerating the specification of the console. Sony are all about the gamer experience, Microsoft just want a list of specifications that some people seem to find relevant.

Also the chances of Microsoft's box being significantly more powerful than PS5 aren't very likely. It could be more powerful, but enough to make a big difference? Probably not. Could it be twice as fast and launch in the same year for example? No chance. Maybe a system 20 or 30 percent faster, best case scenario.

This is because from what we know of the PS5 hardware Cerny interview it should easily do the business at native 4K, and with the lack of 8K popularity anytime soon that's all the majority of people will want for several years.

What makes more power even less effective these days for consoles is the fact they are now aiming at pretty mega resolutions. Diminishing returns is definitely a thing now at this level.

Quality scaling at >1800p is getting more difficult to pick apart from native 4K. This isn't like a night and day difference between 480p and 720p, the difference between well scaled 1800p and native 4K is marginal on the eyes. It's nothing to go nuts about playing on a TV sat 8 feet away.

So even if a game targets native 4K on a more powerful Xbox and a rival machine can't do it, scaling and other techniques are picking up the slack. You can guarantee these machines are built with these techniques in mind.

More power will especially not make a significant difference if Sony's machine sells better again because developers focus on the most popular hardware. So devs will build a game targeting native 4K on PS5, and then scale it either way slightly for less popular machines.

You see this now. Everything targets 1080p on PS4. Then the game runs at whatever else is possible on all the other machines. It's the baseline because of sales.
Yeaaaa no. There are no real 4k games out there right now and everything is upscaled. Power will make a difference as 5 years from now the power of the new systems will be pushed to the limits just like today's systems. As for hardware Sony really doesn't have much there as they even stated they will be making fewer games and taking longer to do so. This means less exclusives and not enough for people to run out and spend $500 on a console for. With Microsoft integrating their systems more to a PC aspect for gaming it will have the edge and be pulling people to that side this generation with more options (discord being one huge one). Sony hasn't done nothing spectacular this gen except start with the most powerful console which if what you say is true meant nothing which in fact it meant everything as the first two years will make or break that generation of consoles. If Xbox makes a stronger console they will win the next gen war just like they did with the Xbox 360.

Let's face it, Microsoft made a lot of mistakes with the launch of the Xbox One. First, it assumed that people were willing to pay a premium for Kinect. Secondly, they didn't have the specs to demand a higher price than the PS4. Third, they sold this always on / always connected idea that would not allow for game sharing. Sony really mocked them in several marketing videos. I bought a PS4 shortly after launch because the specs were better, the price was cheaper and they had better exclusives. It wasn't until last year that I bought an Xbox One X because it was the most powerful console. I now use the Xbox One X to play any 3rd party titles and the PS4 is only used for exclusives.

The key for Microsoft next generation is to launch with better hardware than the PS5 at the same price. Just look at the last two generations. There were countless articles online regarding how the Xbox 360 either looked better or performed better than PS3 games. This helped sell tons of Xbox 360's. Now, this generation the press is constantly publishing how the base Xbox One is the worst version of these 3rd party titles. The second key for Microsoft is to release more triple-A exclusives to compete with Sony. This is how Sony ultimately caught the Xbox 360 in sales... they had some phenomenal exclusives towards the end of their console generation.

Ultimately, I don't see Microsoft repeating the same mistakes this generation with building an under powered yet overpriced system.

Power is irrelevant.

What I need is Content.

I absolutely was not as impressed with the Xbox One/ PS4/ WiiU generation as much as I was with Xbox 360/ PS3/ Wii.

There was so much variety back then.

DDR Universe releases.

Rock Band releases.

Guitar Hero releases.

Peripherals such as my iON Rocker...

We've literally been losing content since games went HD. Remember when Playstation had Guncon and Dual analog Flight Stick?

To replace the plethora of content with the VR gimmick was pathetic.

My desktop has a Core i9ex/ 2080Ti and 32GB of DDR4. There is literally no game I can't run and literally NOTHING that the PS5 or Xbox3 will have to offer that can outperform my computer now - which is literally obsolete as the newer CPU's are released.

Either come with amazing 1st party exclusives or you'll continue to lag behind Playstation's raw focus on being a "console".

And for the love of God...make sure that the SSD or HDD is USER REPLACEABLE.

I should be able to slap in a $400 Samsung 4TB SSD if I want - just as easily as I can get a 10TB HDD.

Last edited:
How can Microsoft say that their next XBOX will be more powerful than the PS5, when we do not even know how powerful the PS5 is going to be?? Seems like hot air if you ask me. My guess is that Sony will do the same routine they did last generation, leaving the actual specifications intentionally vague until the last possible moment.

Sony are in control of the next generation, and only a step or two from securing another win from Microsoft, who are just reacting to the news. This just proves that despite what they say, Microsoft are STILL clinging to the same old strategies that they have always clung to. There is no new thinking on Microsoft's part. Who cares if the next XBOX is more powerful? The 1X is more powerful, and it did nothing for them.

In the Mark Cerny interview he spoke a lot about the PS5 platform, without having to resort to enumerating the specification of the console. Sony are all about the gamer experience, Microsoft just want a list of specifications that some people seem to find relevant.
Because MS knows what they are putting into their system and thanks to Sony saying stuff about their new console, MS already knows if their console would be better. On paper, it may be better but we all know that on paper is only good for wiping things. In reality, it's how good devs use your hardware and what exclusive games do you have.
Time will tell everything. I doubt either will be talking about their consoles too much this year but come next Spring/Summer, there will be big talks and likely a Xmas release date.

Let's face it, Microsoft made a lot of mistakes with the launch of the Xbox One. First, it assumed that people were willing to pay a premium for Kinect. Secondly, they didn't have the specs to demand a higher price than the PS4. Third, they sold this always on / always connected idea that would not allow for game sharing. Sony really mocked them in several marketing videos. I bought a PS4 shortly after launch because the specs were better, the price was cheaper and they had better exclusives. It wasn't until last year that I bought an Xbox One X because it was the most powerful console. I now use the Xbox One X to play any 3rd party titles and the PS4 is only used for exclusives.

The key for Microsoft next generation is to launch with better hardware than the PS5 at the same price. Just look at the last two generations. There were countless articles online regarding how the Xbox 360 either looked better or performed better than PS3 games. This helped sell tons of Xbox 360's. Now, this generation the press is constantly publishing how the base Xbox One is the worst version of these 3rd party titles. The second key for Microsoft is to release more triple-A exclusives to compete with Sony. This is how Sony ultimately caught the Xbox 360 in sales... they had some phenomenal exclusives towards the end of their console generation.

Ultimately, I don't see Microsoft repeating the same mistakes this generation with building an under powered yet overpriced system.
I doubt they assumed, probably didn't give a crap. Just released what they thought instead of listening. Some say things have changed, I guess we will see.

Yeaaaa no. There are no real 4k games out there right now and everything is upscaled. Power will make a difference as 5 years from now the power of the new systems will be pushed to the limits just like today's systems. As for hardware Sony really doesn't have much there as they even stated they will be making fewer games and taking longer to do so. This means less exclusives and not enough for people to run out and spend $500 on a console for. With Microsoft integrating their systems more to a PC aspect for gaming it will have the edge and be pulling people to that side this generation with more options (discord being one huge one). Sony hasn't done nothing spectacular this gen except start with the most powerful console which if what you say is true meant nothing which in fact it meant everything as the first two years will make or break that generation of consoles. If Xbox makes a stronger console they will win the next gen war just like they did with the Xbox 360.
I totally agree.
PS4 Pro isn't more powerful than the Xbox One X. X is actually more powerful.
Sony just has better exclusives and more player base but I see the player base for MS going higher with the integration of PC, something that Sony can never ever do. At least not without permission from MS.

Back