1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft shader pack adds ray tracing-style effects

By midian182 · 8 replies
Apr 1, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. While this isn’t the kind of ray tracing you’ll find in Battlefield V, Metro Exodus, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the 'path tracing' rendering method used in the latest build of Sonic Ether’s Unbelievable Shaders (SEUS) looks just as good.

Artist @notglacier posted a couple of short clips on Twitter that show how the shader changes the game. We see some effects associated with ray tracing, including light beams and their reflections on the tiled floors.

Vanilla Minecraft might work on the most potato-like of PCs, but you’ll need something a lot beefier if you want to run this shader pack at an acceptable speed. Notglacier used an i9-9900k CPU and a GTX 1070 Ti, and that combo was enough for only 25 – 40 fps.

If you own Minecraft and would like to give it a huge visual overhaul, you can download the shader pack from Sonic Ether’s Patreon page, where it’s available to backers. Those who pledge monthly payments also get access to his Discord server and experimental builds.

In other Minecraft news, it was recently discovered that Microsoft had removed all mention of creator Markus “Notch” Persson’s name from the splash screens—likely a result of his controversial comments on Twitter.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2019
  2. avioza

avioza TS Maniac Posts: 205   +159

And that may well save ray tracing...

VeeTeeF likes this.
  3. MasterMace

MasterMace TS Booster Posts: 74   +41

Please reserve all beliefs in articles until after 04/02

4. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 768   +375

Why is water and clouds not rectangular in minecraft?

5. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 609   +494

Water is still confined to it's original cubic block location, the surface is given the additional texture. Those clouds are a separate mod, in fact all of those shots are taken with multiple mods installed. I tried shaders many times in Minecraft with no success, it goes all crashy on me.

6. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,180   +857

These kids have quickly moved from Minecraft to Battle Royale. Thing is: those games run on low-end hardware. I seriously doubt these kids will be getting RTX cards - as expensive as they are - anytime soon from their broke parents.

7. Wessell Urdata

Wessell Urdata TS Booster Posts: 47   +67

You doubt kid's skill to yoink their parent's credit cards.

8. Faplyboy

Faplyboy TS Enthusiast Posts: 41   +11

Why is it so hard to run?? I got rx 590 & ryzen 5 2600 id like to max that on 60fps haha
    if I could, I would start on Minecraft 10/10 again!

9. erickmendes

erickmendes TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +246

Is there already a Minecraft Royalle? lol

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...