MoBo dead or dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNS1310

Instead of replacing all the guts of my PC, I just want to upgrade the Motherboard. Something that works with everything I already have, something inexpensive, because I think I'm building another computer altogether, and something that's an upgrade t what I had.
Here is a picture of what I had in there.
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/fic/au13Big1.jpg
That's just about, if not exactly, identical to whats in there now.
I would like a board/processor. I want to get 'er running faster. I see a ton of MoBos on newegg and other sites, but figured I'd ask here and get some help finding "the best" older motherboard so everything I have works.
Thanks a ton for any help.

Instead of replacing all the guts of my PC, I just want to upgrade the Motherboard.

I would like a board/processor.

Are you only looking to get a motherboard? Or a processor too. If you would also post your specifications so we know which motherboard to recommend.

Been awhile since I've had 'er up and running, so some of specifics I'm not sure of. One video card is AGP, thought that was shot so bought a PCI, that's not working either. No pci-e slots, I was running dual monitors. Sound card is pci. I want to say I was running an Athlon processor, and yes, I want to upgrade that as well. Speed is key. Dual hard d rives, 250 and an 80. I have a 750 watt power supply that's next to new. Not sure what else ya need to specs? Going to be running XP pro, not a gaming machine, mostly internet, poker, music, movies that sort of thing. Thanks for the quick response!

Any budget you have in mind for the upgrade? I feel that you could reuse the PSU and just build yourself a cheap system using an Athlon II X2 processor on an AM3 platform.

Yeah, psu is basically new. I figured I could get up and running for a couple hundred bucks. Just finding the fastest/best motherboard that fits my system is the trick. I wouldn't want to spend more than $200-$300.

Giving this a bump after almost a month!

OK. Lots of questions. First, I came into some money, so I want to spend a little more on this and not bother with a second machine. I want to build a beast, but again, not a gaming rig. I want storage and speed, lots of speed. I want to improve download speed, computer speed in general, etc.

The Board in the link looks good, it has a pci-e slot, (I have no pci-e cards)so I'd definitely buy a pci-e video card. Looks like everything else would hook up the same.
Is this still the board I should use? I can spend a bit more on something better, I just don't want to go nuts. I'd like to stay between $500-$1000. Going a bit over is fine.

I'm also looking to get a Wi-Fi card so I don't have to plug into the PC anymore, move the router to another part of the room, and a decent wireless printer. (spending maybe $150 on those)

Next question...speed related. I have a wireless-G router, does upgrading to an N give me a boost? (I'm going to get Road Runners speed boost)

I'm guessing I'd rather run a 64bit system...don't know much about that area.

I have a few pics I took of my board, case, guts, etc if any of them will help.

$500 - $1000 is too wide a range to recommend a system. Give a maximum figure that you would ideally like to stay within.

Also, the $1000 mark can get you a pretty decent video card too. But since you don't want a gaming machine it would be a waste.

I guess $1,000 max. If I can get a much better Board or CPU or anything like that by spending another 100 or 200, its fine. I do have a nice 25.5 HD monitor that i'll be hooking up...also have a smaller monitor, so I gotta have a dual card.
Most important is power and speed.
Thanks

For a little above $1000 I would go with:

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz - $288.99
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $239.99
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - $169.99
BFG Tech GS-550 550W PSU - $59.99
XFX Radeon HD 4770 512MB - $104.99
HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache - $139.99
COOLER MASTER RC-690 - $69.99
Sony Optiarc AD 7240S - $21.99

TOTAL - $1095.92

Note: You could save on some money by opting for 1TB HDD instead of the 2TB I've suggested. Opting for an AMD Phenom II X4 / X6 based system may also save some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back