Monitor goes into standby after windows starts up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm using Windows Vista and when I startup my pc I can see the windows loading image but the moment windows starts up the screen goes into standby mode and wont come out of it even if I turn on and off the monitor.

I googled the problem and it definitely seems that my graphics card is the problem. I have a Geforce 7900. I started up the pc in safe mode which worked and uninstalled the cards drivers from the device manager. I then reboot and windows works fine except now I've no graphics card installed. It pops up automatically to install drivers which I allow and then asks to reboot. However, on reboot the same problem arises. Monitor goes straight into standby mode.

I've tried this many times, I tried uninstalling the drivers from the add/remove programs list and tried installing the drivers with the setup utility I downloaded straight off the nvidia website but I keep getting the same result.

I also tried the actual dell drivers straight from their site using my code but when I run the setup all I get is this.

img81.imageshack.us/img81/6289/68197825dw0.jpg

I am out of ideas.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to solution? I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Are you getting the right drivers for your video card? Make sure if you have an onboard video card that its disabled in the BIOS. I can't really think of much since you tried certain things. If nothing helps I'd try calling NVIDIA or Dell.

Monitor goes blank after Vista starts

I thought I would join this thread as I have a similar problem. For me, though it is definitely a DVI-d connection issue. If I use a DVI-to-vga adapter from my brand new 8800GTs and plug into the vga socket on my Acer AL2216W lcd monitor then everything is fine (except I don't benefit from a digital vc-monitor connection). Also, strangely, if I try the DVI-d connection and get to point where Vista is running but the screen is blank ("no signal") and I unplug and replug the DVI-d connection - I get a picture! Unfortunately the resolution on the desktop is stuck at 1024x768 and unpluging-repluging is not something I want to do daily.

I've read some posts here on similar problems. "My DVI Blank Screen from boot solution" for example is intriguing but I do not have any similar kind of control over PCI-e that this person seems to have had over the AGP slot.

I have contacted EVGA who manufactured my card and am awaiting further assistance. So far they asked be to ensure the mb video is disabled and that the ATI drivers for my old card are wiped clean and I have done both to no avail.

Any ideas out there?

Here are some system specs:

Center Processor
CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard
Model Acer FG965M
BIOS Name Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
SMBIOS Version R01-B0
BIOS Date 6/18/2007
Video Adapter
Name NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Processor GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Architecture VGA
DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
Memory Size 640MB
Memory Type Unknown
Video Mode 1680 x 1050 x 4294967296 colors
Current Refresh Rate 59Hz
Driver Version 7.15.11.6944
Driver Date 3/4/2008 3:02:00 PM
Monitor
Name Acer AL2216W
Screen Height 1050
Screen Width 1680

guiness I had the exact same problem as you. I have a 1900 XTX and the same monitor as you. Everything was fine when I got the monitor, with it hooked up DVI to DVI on the monitor, until about a two months ago. The only way I can get it to work now, is the same you, use a DVI to VGA adapter. I've always thought it was my video card, now I'm leaning more towards the monitor as the problem, since you have the same problem.

The only thing, though, is that I have heard of others with this or a very similar problem and I don't think everyone has this monitor. It could be the monitor, or the cable itself, but I'm more inclined to think it is a software/driver kind of problem. I doubt it is the video card itself since I started having the same problem with my old ATI 2600HT card that I replaced with the existing EVGA 8800GTs. It started happening as soon as I upgraded the drivers. The other thing that happened close to that time was I got the "Service Pack 1" for Windows Vista.

In any case I will update here if/when I find anything new.

So far nothing is helping. Following EVGA help instructions I've uninstalled and reinstalled older and newer drivers in Safe Mode a number of times. Their last message was to send the card back under warranty.

guiness, don't take this the wrong way but let me gently suggest that you've highjacked poor Gerry's thread. If I were him, I'd be saying, "Hey, what about my problem?" That's the trouble with two similar but different problems in the same thread.

GerryTheLeper, if you are still around, what is the name of the graphics card file you downloaded from Nvidia's website. I'm not sure what you mean by setup utility as the graphics driver file is self executing. As xXxZxXx is suggesting, I'm not so sure you have the right driver file.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to hijack anyone's thread. I have solved my problem (yea!) so if GerryTheLeper IS still there I might be able to help. It depends if the problems are truly related. GerryTheLeper, are you using a dvi connection from your card to an LCD monitor? When you say your monitor goes into standby does it tell you that there is "no signal"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back