Most Americans have heard of ChatGPT, but only a few have used it

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The amount of coverage ChatGPT receives might suggest that a lot of people interact with the service, but a new survey shows the figure is lower than you might expect. Even though most Americans have heard of ChatGPT, only a few have used it.

A recent survey by the Pew Research Center asked 10,000 Americans about ChatGPT. The most interesting stat is that around six out of ten participants (58%) said they are familiar with OpenAI's program, but only 14%, or just over 1 in 10, had ever used ChatGPT themselves.

Breaking down the results, the survey showed that those with formal educations and higher household incomes were more likely to have heard of ChatGPT. Almost 80% of those with a postgraduate degree had heard "a lot" or at least "a little" about it, while the figure was 71% for those with a college degree. 59% of those with some amount of college knew about ChatGPT, and just 41% of those with a high school education or less are familiar with the generative AI.

Overall, 18% of the US adults surveyed said they had heard a lot about ChatGPT, 39% said they had heard a little, and 42% said they had heard nothing at all.

It's the same picture when looking at household incomes. Over half of those (55%) from lower-income households say they know nothing about ChatGPT, while 40% of middle-income households are unfamiliar with it. Just 24% of upper-income households know nothing about the AI.

Looking at races, most Asians (77%) know about ChatGPT, while 51% of Black Americans know nothing at all about it. Men are more likely to know about the service than women, those under 30 are less likely to have heard about ChatGPT than those over 30, and those under 50 are more likely to find it extremely useful than those over 50.

The survey results suggest that even though most people have heard of ChatGPT, the majority find it doesn't offer anything they need - or they don't know how to access it - but that's likely to change as time goes on, especially as the generative AI becomes more integrated into the workplace.

Permalink to story.

You either heard of it or you have not, I am 58, male, white, British and I have heard of it. I have no reason to use it, a normal search engine does what I need, not that I use Bing or Google anyway

I use it mostly for translations into exotic languages, and also for announcements and summaries in refined English (an English I don't have). Good tool.

A shame they limit the question to ChatGPT. Would be nice to know how many people have used LLMs in general, although it's probable that most people wouldn't know the difference.

I have no interest in using it. It's just Lipstick on a pig. Search engine results are bad enough and you still need to do research to verify the information. Things have not changed with ChatGPT. My wife was searching for an answer as to whether or not social security income was federally taxable. Chat GPT (though she did not directly use it - she was searching in Bing) said that it was not - and on investigating further, it was not taxable in Colorado. When it cannot tell the difference between Colorado and the Federal level, its crap, IMO, and not at all worth my time or effort.

In fact, I use Bing myself. I also use uBlock Origin. Recently, Bing has splattered ChatGPT results on its pages, and each time one pops up, I use the element hiding helper in uBlock to get rid of it. I won't be using it anytime soon.

I have asked it about a dozen a questions. The most benefit seems to be as a writing prompt and it will spit out some nice prose but it's also liable to give you gobbledygook that sounds halfway decent. It can't really problem solve or do much science with any accuracy right now (chemistry, physics is what I asked). I dislike how it personifies itself. I hate how the gatekeepers limit, censor, and shape results. It's scary to me to think whoever controls AI will control narratives.

I've heard (mostly from news presenters who have no clue about what it really is) and read about it but never used it because it requires registering an account with Open AI and, well, I don't want to.

I know how the thing works and all I just don't have a real use for it. I don't use Bing or Google either so it's not like I'm using other "artificial intelligences".

There's no actual intelligence involved in a model but it's a catchy term...

I don't like it so I don't use it. I think it'll be a drain on most of society that does use it because they'll keep getting lazier and lazier to let some one or something else do their work for them. Idiocracy, here we come!
People tend to follow a path of least resistance. Give them a reason not to do something and they won't. This "AI" is like a genie in a bottle granting us wishes. It will cripple our need to think making us dumber.

Thing is… it’s just really bad? I’ve attempted to use it a couple of times, and the misses have been way worse than the hits have been good. When it’s been mostly correct and somewhat useful, I’ve had to rely on prior, university level, knowledge of the topic to correct its course and get it to provide proper information. When it hasn’t been mostly correct, it’s hallucinated so badly tasks I’d trust a primary schooler with have been totally off base. It can’t be trusted to list applicable European norms to an engineering topic without making 50% of the norms up. What’s worse is that you only notice when you go to actually use them, because the numbers and titles sound PLAUSIBLE. That’s… well a really bad secretary .

ChatGPT is as bias and d0mb as the people feeding it.
It doesn't think, its just a search engine with the ability to cross-reference two trained topics, etc.

It is not for us... it's for them...

ChatGPT possesses a variety of strengths that are worth recognizing. It is essential to understand these strengths and apply them appropriately for the most effective results. Some criticism may come from individuals who might not be utilizing the AI to its fullest potential, considering the breadth of functionalities it offers, with some being more beneficial than others. I was one of those negative people when it first hit the scene in December 2022. I tried somethings and was unimpressed. However, once a colleague of mine showed me how to use it correctly, I am now a firm believer in it usefulness.

ChatGPT can be likened to a highly advanced autocomplete feature. Much like autocomplete, it offers accurate suggestions around 80% of the time. While it can generate content from scratch, this feature is more of an intriguing demonstration than a practical tool for most users. The true power of ChatGPT lies in its conversational abilities, which improve when engaged in a dialogue, rather than a one-time question-answer interaction. A helpful analogy might be to consider ChatGPT as a savant (exceptional aptitude in one particular field despite having significant impairment in other areas of intellectual or social functioning).

Here are some areas where ChatGPT excels:
1) Editing and enhancing text: You can provide a piece of your writing and ask ChatGPT to rephrase it to fit different contexts (formal, informal, humorous, intellectual, email-oriented, briefing-styled, etc.). While this tool provides significant improvement, it's advisable to review and make necessary adjustments for optimal results.
2) Summarizing information: ChatGPT can compile summaries from multiple sources, which can be beneficial for quick comprehension of a topic. However, it's important to independently verify the facts, as it isn't infallible. You can also delve deeper into the topic by asking follow-up questions to the AI.
3) Code writing: ChatGPT can generate code snippets in languages like Python and C++. Although it may occasionally make mistakes, it efficiently creates a substantial portion of the required code.
4) Drafting instructions: It can generate lists of instructions for various tasks, such as repairing items or cooking.
5) Table creation: ChatGPT can compile data into tables. For example, it could create a table of Nvidia GPUs with details like model, release date, MSRP, GPU frequency, number of CUDA cores, and vRAM, sorted by the number of CUDA cores. If there are errors, you can instruct it to correct them.
6) Information searching: While not primarily a search engine, ChatGPT can help find less commonly available information that may be challenging to locate with regular search engines.

For a more in-depth understanding of ChatGPT, the following linked resource provides an excellent explanation. The first two sections will equip you with basic knowledge.
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

Last edited:
ChatGPT possesses a variety of strengths that are worth recognizing. It is essential to understand these strengths and apply them appropriately for the most effective results. Some criticism may come from individuals who might not be utilizing the AI to its fullest potential, considering the breadth of functionalities it offers, with some being more beneficial than others. I was one of those negative people when it first hit the scene in December 2022. I tried somethings and was unimpressed. However, once a colleague of mine showed me how to use it correctly, I am now a firm believer in it usefulness.

ChatGPT can be likened to a highly advanced autocomplete feature. Much like autocomplete, it offers accurate suggestions around 80% of the time. While it can generate content from scratch, this feature is more of an intriguing demonstration than a practical tool for most users. The true power of ChatGPT lies in its conversational abilities, which improve when engaged in a dialogue, rather than a one-time question-answer interaction. A helpful analogy might be to consider ChatGPT as a savant (exceptional aptitude in one particular field despite having significant impairment in other areas of intellectual or social functioning).

Here are some areas where ChatGPT excels:
1) Editing and enhancing text: You can provide a piece of your writing and ask ChatGPT to rephrase it to fit different contexts (formal, informal, humorous, intellectual, email-oriented, briefing-styled, etc.). While this tool provides significant improvement, it's advisable to review and make necessary adjustments for optimal results.
2) Summarizing information: ChatGPT can compile summaries from multiple sources, which can be beneficial for quick comprehension of a topic. However, it's important to independently verify the facts, as it isn't infallible. You can also delve deeper into the topic by asking follow-up questions to the AI.
3) Code writing: ChatGPT can generate code snippets in languages like Python and C++. Although it may occasionally make mistakes, it efficiently creates a substantial portion of the required code.
4) Drafting instructions: It can generate lists of instructions for various tasks, such as repairing items or cooking.
5) Table creation: ChatGPT can compile data into tables. For example, it could create a table of Nvidia GPUs with details like model, release date, MSRP, GPU frequency, number of CUDA cores, and vRAM, sorted by the number of CUDA cores. If there are errors, you can instruct it to correct them.
6) Information searching: While not primarily a search engine, ChatGPT can help find less commonly available information that may be challenging to locate with regular search engines.

For a more in-depth understanding of ChatGPT, the following linked resource provides an excellent explanation. The first two sections will equip you with basic knowledge.
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

LOL - written by 'Dr. Roboto'. Aka ChatGPT.

Hehe...

That's like saying you eat bugs, just because you eat eggs hatched by chickens that eat bugs.
That - and cricket protein meal flour will be added surreptitiously to products - now your shake has 15% protein - Fun fact - except for a few people with mental or physical illness - or Vegans who eat poorly - ie stop eggs, meats with no substitutes - protein deficiency is rare in developed countries - but sadly more common in very poor countries

And your food is allowed to be insect infected to a certain extent

Back