(most of) keyboard not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz789

While setting up motorola phonetools on my computer, my keyboard suddenly just stopped working. It's a microsoft multimedia keyboard with ps/2 connector. Device manager said something like (device annot start: code 10). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, and nothing. I know the ps/2 port and the connection to the motherboard aren't fried, since the keyboard still works fine in bios, and the lights are still on. I went out and bought a USB keyboard, and the same thing happened, only device manager showed no roblems with it. I tried restoring the registry, looking for rootkits, and scanning my computer for other problems...no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`ve tried uninstalling the mobile phone tools haven`t you?

Does your keyboard work, if you boot into safe mode?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yes, I uninstalled the phonetools right after i noticed the keyboard problem.
I just tried restarting in safe mode, and it doesn't seem to make a difference...I assumed it would actually work in safe mode, but I had the same problem.
I'm currently running a virus scan to see if it makes any difference.

xyz789 said:
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, and nothing.
You uninstalled all keyboard related devices in the Device Manager,and then restarted the computer ?

Completed a virus scan of teh full computer ->restarted-> no change

I tried uninstalling with device manager, and after i restarted, the keyboard was back to the way it was before i uninstalled (ie. with the yellow exclamation sign beside it)

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and click ok. You will need to have your windows cd handy. If you can`t type the command, just copy and paste it from here.

More info on the sfc /scannow command can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and click ok. You will need to have your windows cd handy. If you can`t type the command, just copy and paste it from here.

More info on the sfc /scannow command can be found HERE.

Heh, the problem is my disk drives aren't exactly working(cd/dvd drives just disappeared a while ago, but that's a different story). Is the windows cd absolutely necesary? Even if drives worked, all i have is the seanix recovery cd, since xp came with my computer.

Not having a Windows cd may well be a problem. In any case without a working cd drive, I don`t recommend you use sfc /scannow command.

I`m not sure I know what else to suggest.

I know some mobile phone tools install drivers and services. It's a longshot, but do you have any device conflicts?

Spike said:
I know some mobile phone tools install drivers and services. It's a longshot, but do you have any device conflicts?

Actually I do...not sure if it's an actual conflict, but in device manager, it shows device not working properly (ps/2 keyboard), with the little exclamation mark beside it.

Do you have anything related to the phone showing in device manager?

Check resources/conflicts in system information.

Have you tried the obvious (ie, system restore)?

I suppose you could do a registry search for anything obviously Motorola phone tools related.

I just finished searching the registry for anything motorola or phonetools...no change. I also tried doing a clean boot with windows, and that didn't seem to help the situation either. I want to leave a system restore a one of the last resorts, since I'd have to get my parents to look for all the files they altered recently, and that would take some time...planning on doing that tomorrow if I don't get anywhere today.

Edit: there were no motorola devices in device manager when i checked. The only device with a conflict is the keyboard.

System restore doesn`t change personal files - My Documents,favourites,word,emails etc.
Whenever I`ve had a serious problem in the past, restore has never worked,but good luck,anyway.

When you said in your first post that you had "tried restoring the registry" I just kind of assumed that you meant system restore.Otherwise that would have been my first suggestion.All`s well that ends well.. etc.

Lol no, I actually downloaded a program that finds problems in the registry and fixes them...obviously it didn't do such a good job of fixing. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back