Motherboard crashing problem? Liquid spilled in keyboard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to these forums. It seems like a good place for computer talk, and especially for some feedback on my situation!

So, the other day, I accidently spilled some milk onto my notebook keyboard (Toshiba Satellite a100-va1), it didn't seem as if much went inside, but apparently it was enough . For the first 10-or-so seconds only sticky keys and the 's' key occuring six times on one push were the symptoms. But then shortly after my screen started flickering, then random lines of black going through it, then big squares of black covering a total of 3/4 of the screen, then it just turned pitch white. I immediately turned off the laptop and removed the battery.

I came back to it around 5 hours later and put in the battery to test it. It turns on fine, all signs of the power working. But, the screen is completely black. It does not show the startup image of Toshiba or any loading of anything whatsoever. But it stays powered on fine? So basically I am left now with a laptop that powers on, but has nothing visible onscreen!

So, sorry if this is a long post, I'd thought I'd tell everything that happened exactly for a more accurate response :p. Basically I'm looking for what could be wrong with it. I'm thinking the motherboard failed?

you did several mistakes:
1st - if you spill some liquid on the notebook you should unplug it from the AC outlet and take out the notebook battery AS FASTER AS YOU CAN!
2nd - NEVER power on the laptop if there's still liquid inside.
3d - then you should take the laptop to near service centre where it will be cleaned from liquid rests and the keyboard will replaced.

if you can't take the laptop to service centre then you have to disassembly it by yourself and clean the liquid without assistance

now you have at least the problem with videochip or the northbridge(if video is integrated) or some PWM controller of the LVDS interface or so.....

BTW - this actions i've described is in the notebook manual. as i see, most of people just don't want to RTFM
:)

Milk is one of the worst things to spill (even worst is milkshake and I am not being funny) as the fat will short out connections. If you are lucky all you will have done is short out the keyboard which is why the rest of the thing will not start up properly. You may have to buy a new keyboard.
Try removing the keyboard and dismantling it.
With the keyboard out, you should be able to see if there is any sign of the milk getting any further into the system - if there is it may be BER.
You will find it is a series of layered membranes. Clean gently with plain water to remove all traces of fatty deposits and then dry gently with a hair dryer. Reassemble. If no good, get another keyboard as yours is BER.

Damon24 said:
I'm fairly new to these forums. It seems like a good place for computer talk, and especially for some feedback on my situation!

So, the other day, I accidently spilled some milk onto my notebook keyboard (Toshiba Satellite a100-va1), it didn't seem as if much went inside, but apparently it was enough . For the first 10-or-so seconds only sticky keys and the 's' key occuring six times on one push were the symptoms. But then shortly after my screen started flickering, then random lines of black going through it, then big squares of black covering a total of 3/4 of the screen, then it just turned pitch white. I immediately turned off the laptop and removed the battery.

I came back to it around 5 hours later and put in the battery to test it. It turns on fine, all signs of the power working. But, the screen is completely black. It does not show the startup image of Toshiba or any loading of anything whatsoever. But it stays powered on fine? So basically I am left now with a laptop that powers on, but has nothing visible onscreen!

So, sorry if this is a long post, I'd thought I'd tell everything that happened exactly for a more accurate response :p. Basically I'm looking for what could be wrong with it. I'm thinking the motherboard failed?

Forget it, replace the MOBO or get youreself another Laptop.. I repair these and you're not the only one. What's worst I've seen hot coco spilled on the keyboard and what's worst dried and harden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back